PDA

View Full Version : shoe question

Marta
11-16-2005, 06:21
My most recent favorite shoe for hiking has been the Brooks Cascadia trail runner. They fit well and they dry faster than any other shoe I've ever had. I got a card from Road Runner Sports saying that they are being discontinued...of course.

The questions:

1) How many pairs of trail runners will it take to complete the AT?

2) Will my feet change size? Frankly, I'm thinking they've done all the growing they're going to do. I'll turn 51 tomorrow, I've had three children and been even heavier in the past than I am now, so my feet are already two full shoe sizes larger and a couple widths wider than they were when I was a young thing. I'm dubious that they will grow a huge amount more in length, though I imagine they will spread some more.

Whaddaya think?

Whistler
11-16-2005, 09:27
You can probably count on 4-500 miles for most well-made trail shoes, maybe even up to 6-700 if you're willing to risk injury or want to save money that badly. So figure 3-5 pairs of shoes.

I'm not sure if you're feet will change, but I'll venture to say 'probably.' Unless you're already extremely active, your feet will likely get more circulation, more muscle, etc. You'll have plenty of opportunities to make the any changes or adjustments you need, as there are plenty of outfitters and retailers along the trail.
-Mark

sparky2000
11-16-2005, 09:48
51 yrs. + chillins usually (seems) to imply it's shrinkage time for mama, not expansion time. But, change is still the factor - to pre buy one's shoes could be a bad receipt. Where is the spell check when one needs it ?

fiddlehead
11-16-2005, 10:17
i get about 1500 mils from a pair of trail runners (Vitesse) but i carry a light pack.
Your feet will probably grow about the same as they did when you were pregnant as your body will adjust for the extra weight it will have to carry.
My feet grew 2 full sizes since i took up backpacking. I don't backpack as much as i used to and they are starting to go back down a size. I am in my 50's also, i don't think age matters here.
I would get the spares a size bigger if it was me. have fun out there.
Happy Birthday!

Auntie Mame
11-16-2005, 10:20
:banana Just a congratulatory note from another 50-something hiker lady. I am planning for '07, so will be following your '06 trip enthusiastically. Have a great birthday.:banana :banana :banana

stupe
11-16-2005, 18:05
I'm forty nine, and after a mere 600 or so mile hike last year I went up a shoe size.
I tend to carry a heavy pack ( I like my radio, my extra footwear, a supply of booze, and always carry too much food ), maybe that had something to do with it.

Turtle2
11-16-2005, 18:19
Happy Birthday Marta! Hope to see you on the trail. I'm planning on there being more than one brand of shoe that works for me so--will buy as I need to along the trail.

Jack Tarlin
11-16-2005, 18:27
I would not buy replacement shoes til you need them, for a couple of reasons:

*Regardless of your age, there's an excellent chance your feet will grow from
constant pounding, but there's no telling how much. If you buy replacement
boots ahead of time, they probably won't fit right when you need them later
on, and if you've worn them or broken them in, they're non-returnable.

*You may discover that you don't really like your chosen footwear and want
try something new for your replacement pair. If you buy three or four
duplicate pairs ahead of time, you're pretty much stuck with them.

You'll probably go thru between 2 and 5 pairs of shoes on your trip, depending on how rugged they are.

But I'd replace them as you go. When it's time for a new pair (and you'll know a bit ahead of time so you can check to see where the best shopping places are), take the time to go to a good outfitter, and get properly fitted by someone who knows what they're doing. Having the right footwear is crucial to having a happy trip, so take the time to do it right, and I'd advise AGAINST buying all your boots ahead of time.

Marta
11-16-2005, 19:42
Thanks for the input, everyone. Lots to think about. I look forward to meeting some of you out on the Trail next year.

Turtle2--You'll probably be amazed, but I know where Cadiz (rhymes with "ladies") is. I've been there many times, because I used to live in Murray. You guys have had some rough weather today, have you not?

TooTall
11-16-2005, 20:03
But I'd replace them as you go. When it's time for a new pair (and you'll know a bit ahead of time so you can check to see where the best shopping places are), take the time to go to a good outfitter, and get properly fitted by someone who knows what they're doing. Having the right footwear is crucial to having a happy trip, so take the time to do it right, and I'd advise AGAINST buying all your boots ahead of time.

Jack,

Which outfitters? I'm sure you'd recommend Harper's Ferry and Hot Springs as you've worked with them. I did a shoe replacement in Johnson City. What about the Damascus outfitter or Phil Oren at Trail Days? What about further up the trail in Mid-Atlantic or New England?

Too Tall Paul

Turtle2
11-17-2005, 17:45
Hey Marta. Yes we had some bad weather. Tornados in Paris TN, south of Murray, and one took out the slips at Moors and 2 mobile homes. Just as bad, it knocked out our internet for Western KY as it hit a major junction. Here in Cadiz just rain and not too much. Thanks for asking.

Looking to try on some New Balance and other shoes this coming week. I've got 3 pairs of boots that will not work. The best is heavy leather and I want to get past those. Good luck. Maybe we'll meet in the spring.