PDA

View Full Version : The poll north vs south

ierinys
06-09-2015, 12:37
Come spring of 2016, I will be attempting my thru-hike of the AT, I have funds, gear, food, everything the aspiring thru-hiker needs to hike the trail, everything except a direction to hike. What I'm asking is, ignoring popularity and larger amounts of people, which direction would you hike and why. Currently I am favouring a MEGA hike, but I'd really like to hear from both sides.

Peace

wrap89
06-09-2015, 13:21
it's your hike, hike it the way you want to, it's all up to your personal preference.
if your looking more for a social hike go NOBO if it's more of a wilderness hike go SOBO.
HIKE YOUR OWN HIKE.

Lone Wolf
06-09-2015, 14:00
Currently I am favouring a MEGA hike, but I'd really like to hear from both sides.

Peace
do that. i've done 4 NOBO. 1 SOBO which was by far a much more enjoyable hike

Namtrag
06-09-2015, 14:10
There is a third side...flip flop from HF. I haven't done a thru, but if my wife and I ever can get a chance, we are seriously considering flip-flopping.

rocketsocks
06-09-2015, 14:12
I haven't done any, but would do a flip flop. Somewhere in the middle head north...fly south, then head north towards home.

CELTIC BUCK
06-09-2015, 14:26
Its all up to you and your time frame .I plan Maine to Georgia but that means a late Spring start as earliest. While out on a practice hike Memorial Day weekend I was informed that the mountain Trails in Baxter had just opened . If the winter of 15 is similar next year we need to plan for high water & fly season ;that's my rationale for a late July or Aug 1 start.Hope to see ya out here I'll be the ole fat guy with a Black Lab

rocketsocks
06-09-2015, 14:39
ya know, another option and probably more in line of what I'd do if I ever had the gumption to do the whole thing is to do it over a couple season/years 2 or 3...3 or 4 hiking a month or so at a time, then your options for weather, favorite season, Slurpee day...ect ect, really open up.

Hikingmaddie
06-09-2015, 14:46
Ive pretty much decided on a NOBO even tho i could technically do a flip since im starting in May but for me its more the mentality of continuing in one direction the whole time, plus i want to finish up on Katahdin and get that "end of trail" pic :). Also figure theres more of a chance of teaming up with a few people going north than south, and thats something that both my family and myself would feel better about

rocketsocks
06-09-2015, 14:51
Cool, have a goodn'

mml373
06-20-2015, 18:33
Heading out north to south, beginning August of 2016, if further study proves it is the right thing to do. Due to family issues, I can't leave before August...so it seems best to get out of the north land before Winter sets in.

I have been playing with the idea of starting just south of Katahdin and then flying up from Georgia after I reach the southernmost point of the AT so that I can still finish with a northbound trek on Katahdin the last some-odd miles...

Odd Man Out
06-20-2015, 19:13
Do the coin flip hike. Go to Harpers Ferry and flip a coin. Heads you go north and tails you go south. When you get to the end flip to the other ind to finish.

mml373
06-20-2015, 19:24
Do the coin flip hike. Go to Harpers Ferry and flip a coin. Heads you go north and tails you go south. When you get to the end flip to the other ind to finish.

Heheh. I'm going to have to check the dates...some of the trails are closed certain times of the year. Not sure Katahdin is open during my projected finish time (early December.) Newbie just learning the basics about this whole thru-hiking thing...