PDA

View Full Version : Asolo Boots - Expecting Too Much?

Zaphod
06-09-2015, 13:21
I知 wondering if I知 expecting too much or if you all find this acceptable?
3 to 4 years ago I purchased a pair of Asolo full leather boots and would use them a few times a year on a day hike or a few short overnights. Due to life changes I wasn稚 able to get out much. This spring I really wanted to start hitting the trails again and after a few miles the soles started to delaminate. I would estimate that they only have around 50 miles on them, I値l even round up and say 100 miles. The leather and rubber is still moist and my thought would be that any person would come to the conclusion that they were not manufactured properly.
I sent photos to Asolo along with the description of the boots, but without a receipt they are unwilling to do anything. I understand that they need to make money and that people abuse returns after wearing out items but in this case the boots were well kept and not exposed to extreme temperatures. Am I asking too much out of them?

Walkintom
06-09-2015, 13:35
I would say that you shouldn't expect people and companies to just do what you feel is right. There's nothing wrong with asking for help when something goes wrong with a product, but expecting it is going a bit far unless the company makes an outright commitment to do so.

In general I think we'd all be happier if everyone did the right thing but that's never happened yet.

I try to research gear and manufacturers before I make a purchase instead of trying to get someone to make something right after I'm unhappy with a product's performance. It took me a long time to fully embrace this approach but I've been much happier since.

I simply don't buy a product or service unless I'm already satisfied that it will be right or made right if something goes wrong. That's why I gravitate to brands like Darn Tough. Socks wear out; I send them in and they replace them. No questions asked. I don't always send in my worn out socks, but sometimes I do. And they take care of me.

Venchka
06-09-2015, 16:18
My wife and I bought several pairs (4 I think) of injection molded boots in the 90s. The foundation on all 4 pairs separated from the upper. Just fell off. I called Garmot, USA about the pair that cost the most and had the least use. "Yes, back then that happened. It doesn't happen today. You'll love our new boots. Have a nice day."

I wish I had known about Dave Page, Cobbler back then. Give them a call.

http://www.davepagecobbler.com/

I also wish that I had bought a pair of Limmer Boots back in the 90s. I would still be using them.
Good luck.

Wayne

Traveler
06-10-2015, 14:27
This was apparently an issue in some of the TPS 520 GV boots around that period in time. If you had the problem in the first year or so, it was handled as a warranty. Unfortunately my Asolo boots were about 2 years old when they started delaminating and I had about 800 miles on them by then, so I had to resole them.

Venchka is right about David Page, Cobbler. My Asolo boots failed/delaminated when I happened to be in Seattle, so I got to visit his shop. An interesting fellow and it was amazing the variety of boots there were in various stages of being rebuilt by his staff.
I got the boots resoled for about $80.00 (without shipping costs) which for the quality of work performed was a bargain. The boots haven't changed their performance or character from the rehabilitation and I will certainly get many hundreds of miles of continued use.

Zaphod
06-29-2015, 11:20
Those are the boots I have so it looks like I will need to go with a resole as well.

Coffee
06-29-2015, 11:25
I have an old pair of Asolo boots and used them for several years of mostly day hiking before I had them resoled by Dave Page. I recently purchased a new pair of Asolos and they seem well constructed as well. I would absolutely not consider 50-100 miles to be the lifespan of the soles. It should be more like 1000 IMO.

Tipi Walter
06-29-2015, 13:07
I would say that you shouldn't expect people and companies to just do what you feel is right. There's nothing wrong with asking for help when something goes wrong with a product, but expecting it is going a bit far unless the company makes an outright commitment to do so.

In general I think we'd all be happier if everyone did the right thing but that's never happened yet.

Expecting Asolo to help in this regard is mandatory if the company wants anything but a crappy reputation. Too many hikers have complained about the 520s delaminating and falling apart. It happened to me in the Mt Rogers backcountry on a 22 day trip and there's no excuse as the boots were only a couple months old. Check out pic---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/18-Days-in-the-Cohutta/i-FCb2rQt/0/M/TRIP%20142%20453-M.jpg
All 520 owners should check their boot heels first---it's where the problem usually begins. I remember on a recent trip I ran into a woman backpacker with these boots. I asked her if I could check her boot heels. Yup, one was separated.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/18-Days-in-the-Cohutta/i-XkRSdqb/0/M/TRIP%20142%20617-M.jpg
Okay, this is what happens after the heel separates. Total failure. Sickening feature and engineered failure in a $250+ boot. I put the boots up for awhile and then ordered some McNetts Freesole glue and fixed them myself and took a chance on a winter trip and the glue held.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2015-Trips-161/Trip-163-in-March/i-jMc5Z7t/0/M/TRIP%20163%20016-M.jpg
The boots back in action using microspikes. So far there's no separation although they have fallen outside my Circle Of Trust.

Traveler
06-30-2015, 07:24
I have an old pair of Asolo boots and used them for several years of mostly day hiking before I had them resoled by Dave Page. I recently purchased a new pair of Asolos and they seem well constructed as well. I would absolutely not consider 50-100 miles to be the lifespan of the soles. It should be more like 1000 IMO.Agreed, there should be a lot more than 1,000 miles on them. I log pretty much every hike and trip I do, the Asolo boots I have owned all exceeded 1,700 miles. A lot depends on how one tends to their boots though, if you use Nikwax (or other conditioner/waterproofing) on them to keep the leather soft and water resistant every 90 days or so, you will get a really long life span from them.

Tipi Walter
06-30-2015, 09:03
Agreed, there should be a lot more than 1,000 miles on them. I log pretty much every hike and trip I do, the Asolo boots I have owned all exceeded 1,700 miles. A lot depends on how one tends to their boots though, if you use Nikwax (or other conditioner/waterproofing) on them to keep the leather soft and water resistant every 90 days or so, you will get a really long life span from them.

I don't believe treating the boot leather has anything to do with the production facility failure and quality control for these boots. Glue failure and delamination is an internal problem with the 520 boots and is not related to how well greased the leather is.

Traveler
06-30-2015, 09:14
I don't believe treating the boot leather has anything to do with the production facility failure and quality control for these boots. Glue failure and delamination is an internal problem with the 520 boots and is related to how well greased the leather is.

Agreed, it has little to do with the adhesive failure in that model/period boot. My comment was more to the fact you should get more than 1,000 miles on them (presuming the sole adhesive doesn't fail), using some TLC best ensures that.

Since that one period of time though, I have not heard of any Asolo boots delaminating that were made after that batch.

poolskaterx
02-23-2016, 21:33
Had the same issue with my first pair of Asolo 520's and I was just outside of a year and a half so REI originally said they would not do a return; the person working there also said it was probably because I stored them in my garage and that the exhaus fumes along with the heat in the summertime was shy they had failed. I had already researched and found that there were many people dealing with this exact delam issue so I tried another sales person that took the time and understood where I was coming from and took care of me; the replacement ASOLO boots have worked flawlessly; I am thankful REI employs enthusiasts that can be compassionate a make decisions above the "written" rules to keep customers happy.