PDA

View Full Version : new klymit static v insulated lite vs old static v insulated

Namtrag
06-09-2015, 16:15
For about $10 more, you can now get a 19+- oz Klymit Static V Insulated Lite. I believe it was just recently released, as I can find very few reviews on line.

The old Static V Insulated is 25 oz.

The only difference I can tell from online research is that the new one is 20D and the old version is 75D.

Is it worth 6 oz to have a more sturdy pad, or do you think I should be a gram weenie and get the lighter one?

Dogwood
06-09-2015, 18:24
I don't think saving 6 oz is being an uptight gram weenie. When you start weighing Ziplocs to choose the lightest wt ones or replace your shoe laes with dental floss than I'll call ya a gram weenie.:(

I would think it depends on where and how you plan to use your pads. I have different ones based on where and how I'm hiking. Personally, I've gotten over getting all bent out of shape should my inflatable pad go flat for a couple of nights. After going 25+ miles I'm going to fall asleep on a granite slab, in the sand, or with some found tree boughs under me no matter if my pad inflates or not.

Dogwood
06-09-2015, 18:25
Winter time I look at it differently. I probably will be needing that extra R value.

Dochartaigh
06-09-2015, 20:24
I have the Static V2 (1.3 R-Value, 17.44 ounces with repair kit and stuff sack), and the new Klymit Static V Insulated Lite (20.15 ounces with included patch kit and stuff sack). Both seem to be plenty durable. V2 has gotten me down to almost freezing. Haven't tested the V lite in cold weather yet so only time will tell.

v1k1ng1001
06-10-2015, 05:00
Is this new pad a V2-style Insulated Lite? I know that Klymit had an insulated lite Static V for a short time and it has been available from 3rd parties on Amazon for the last few months. Maybe it's the same thing?

I would be very interested in this new pad if it were based on the Static V2 design/profile.

Dochartaigh
06-10-2015, 09:28
The Static V, Insulated Static V, Static V2, and Insulated Static V Lite all have the same size specs, and also seem to have identical baffle/chamber (whatever you call those) design.

The only difference seems to be the weight of the materials used on the top and bottom, or if the pad has insulation added to it.

Namtrag
06-10-2015, 12:18
Yes, they have a new one called The Static V Insulated Lite, and it's 5-6 oz lighter than the Static V Insulated. I guess they shaved the weight by using 20D fabric instead of 75D.

I appreciate all the input you guys gave. I ended up buying the older model, as I was able to pick up two of them for my wife and me for a grand total of $94. We are on a pretty tight budget, and getting them 2 for the price of 1 was something I couldn't pass up!