PDA

View Full Version : Any big hikes planned for the summer? Let's talk!

BenOnAdventures
06-09-2015, 18:40
Do you have any big hikes or backpacking trips planned for the summer? If so, let's talk about em!

MomOfFive
06-09-2015, 20:20
I'm heading to GA from FL to do all 76 miles with 4 of my kids ages 5-13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odd Man Out
06-09-2015, 20:20
In August I'm hiking from Grand Marais to Munising MI following the Lake Superior through Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Its about 45 miles in in 4 days. Not sure if that counts as "big" but I'm looking forward to it.

Namtrag
06-09-2015, 20:54
My wife and I, along with 5-6 friends are going to do a 6-day, 5-night trip from Erwin, TN to the Mountain Harbor Hostel, crossing the Roan Highlands. We couldn't go until July, so we are missing the peak flower time, but I'm sure we will enjoy it just the same.

Another Kevin
06-09-2015, 21:05
Surely not big, but I'm looking to do the middle section of the Northville-Placid Trail. I started a SOBO thru-hike in October, but I took ill in Long Lake. I took a couple of days off to recover, but then I leapfrogged forward to Piseco, since I wouldn't have enough vacation time left to finish a thru. So, Long Lake to Piseco this summer! About 60 miles plus a seven-mile side trip to the Wakely Mountain fire tower. Probably a 6 day food carry, since as a weekender I really can't plan more than 8-12 mpd out of the gate.

That'll be the longest section I've done in one go in nearly 40 years. The next longest in recent times was the 40-ish miles from Lake Placid to Long Lake, which has NO resupply or bailout options. I did it in 3.5 days, and had one whole day that I had the trail entirely to myself.

(I also want to finish up my Catskill 3500's - 33 climbs down, six to go. There are three that are sort of in a cluster that I'm thinking of doing in a weekend backpack. All three are trail-less.)

12trysomething
06-09-2015, 21:21
I did 8 days and 104.2 of the Long Trail (107.5 total miles) over Memorial week, now a bunch of 2-4 day trips to finish the remaining 169 miles and get to Canada before snow flies. :)

nu2hike
06-09-2015, 21:21
I had planned to hike the AT from Bland Va to Glascow but unfortunately I fell a couple of weeks ago and broke some ribs! So I've had to delay my start by a week or two! Im now reducing my mileage and will be hiking from Bland to Daleville Va.due to time constraints!

BirdBrain
06-09-2015, 21:43
45 mile shakedown soon. Long Trail starting sometime in July. Nothing huge. Never is. Work is always an obstacle.... to long hikes.

Dogwood
06-09-2015, 22:22
I'm rebuilding finances this summer. Spending more time on the bike and running. A big hike for me is often of 200 miles or more or out for two wks or more. I'm waiting until early Sept to finish my last 400 miles or so of the Grand Enchantment Trail. I'll do some Sierras miles as well attempting to incorporate the Sierra High Route. I'll get in some 3-4 day trips though during June-Aug. I may attempt a AZT thru or long AZT section hike late in the yr.

shelb
06-09-2015, 23:28
In August I'm hiking from Grand Marais to Munising MI following the Lake Superior through Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Its about 45 miles in in 4 days. Not sure if that counts as "big" but I'm looking forward to it.

This is an awesome hike! Make sure to enjoy the beach!

shelb
06-09-2015, 23:29
I will finish PA and complete NJ, ending in NY!

BenOnAdventures
06-10-2015, 07:44
I'm heading to GA from FL to do all 76 miles with 4 of my kids ages 5-13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Sweet that sounds like a blast!! Feel free to add me if you'd like!

BenOnAdventures
06-10-2015, 07:45
In August I'm hiking from Grand Marais to Munising MI following the Lake Superior through Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Its about 45 miles in in 4 days. Not sure if that counts as "big" but I'm looking forward to it. The size of the hike doesn't matter! As long as you're having fun! Feel free to add me if you'd like!

BenOnAdventures
06-10-2015, 07:46
I will finish PA and complete NJ, ending in NY! Sweet that is so awesome!! Feel free to add me so we can talk more!

BenOnAdventures
06-10-2015, 07:47
I'm rebuilding finances this summer. Spending more time on the bike and running. A big hike for me is often of 200 miles or more or out for two wks or more. I'm waiting until early Sept to finish my last 400 miles or so of the Grand Enchantment Trail. I'll do some Sierras miles as well attempting to incorporate the Sierra High Route. I'll get in some 3-4 day trips though during June-Aug. I may attempt a AZT thru or long AZT section hike late in the yr. Sweet that is so awesome! I wish I could be doing that! Add me!

BenOnAdventures
06-10-2015, 07:48
45 mile shakedown soon. Long Trail starting sometime in July. Nothing huge. Never is. Work is always an obstacle.... to long hikes. Sweet that sounds like fun! I'm sure you'll find time eventually! Feel free to add me if you'd like!

BenOnAdventures
06-10-2015, 07:49
I had planned to hike the AT from Bland Va to Glascow but unfortunately I fell a couple of weeks ago and broke some ribs! So I've had to delay my start by a week or two! Im now reducing my mileage and will be hiking from Bland to Daleville Va.due to time constraints! Ouch, sorry to hear that! I hope you get feeling better! That'll be a fun hike to do! Feel free to add me if you'd like?

BenOnAdventures
06-10-2015, 07:50
I did 8 days and 104.2 of the Long Trail (107.5 total miles) over Memorial week, now a bunch of 2-4 day trips to finish the remaining 169 miles and get to Canada before snow flies. :) I wish I was there! I'm so jealous! It would be a blast to be doing that!! Feel free to add me if you'd like! I love talking adventure!

BenOnAdventures
06-10-2015, 07:53
Surely not big, but I'm looking to do the middle section of the Northville-Placid Trail. I started a SOBO thru-hike in October, but I took ill in Long Lake. I took a couple of days off to recover, but then I leapfrogged forward to Piseco, since I wouldn't have enough vacation time left to finish a thru. So, Long Lake to Piseco this summer! About 60 miles plus a seven-mile side trip to the Wakely Mountain fire tower. Probably a 6 day food carry, since as a weekender I really can't plan more than 8-12 mpd out of the gate.

That'll be the longest section I've done in one go in nearly 40 years. The next longest in recent times was the 40-ish miles from Lake Placid to Long Lake, which has NO resupply or bailout options. I did it in 3.5 days, and had one whole day that I had the trail entirely to myself.

(I also want to finish up my Catskill 3500's - 33 climbs down, six to go. There are three that are sort of in a cluster that I'm thinking of doing in a weekend backpack. All three are trail-less.) That sounds like a blast!! That'd be fun to have parts of the trail to yourself for so long! I hope to hear more about your hikes, feel free to add me!

BenOnAdventures
06-10-2015, 07:54
My wife and I, along with 5-6 friends are going to do a 6-day, 5-night trip from Erwin, TN to the Mountain Harbor Hostel, crossing the Roan Highlands. We couldn't go until July, so we are missing the peak flower time, but I'm sure we will enjoy it just the same. That's awesome! I'd love to see pictures! Feel free to add me!

BenOnAdventures
06-10-2015, 07:56
My wife and I, along with 5-6 friends are going to do a 6-day, 5-night trip from Erwin, TN to the Mountain Harbor Hostel, crossing the Roan Highlands. We couldn't go until July, so we are missing the peak flower time, but I'm sure we will enjoy it just the same. That is awesome!! I'd love to see pictures! Feel free to add me!!

Lyle
06-10-2015, 08:19
Mid August to Mid September: Three weeks on the southern half of JMT - Horseshoe Meadow to Bishop, followed immediately by a three day hike on the CDT and reunion in Rocky Mountain National Park. Will be a GREAT trip.

BirdBrain
06-10-2015, 08:41
Sweet that sounds like fun! I'm sure you'll find time eventually! Feel free to add me if you'd like!

What do you mean by "add me"? To a blog? To the hike? Sorry. I am a bit thick on this one.

Moosling
06-10-2015, 09:09
Its Beautiful all year man you guys will have great views too. Mountain Harbor told us that its so hard anymore to time it just right to see full bloom anyway. Make sure you check out Overmountain Shelter.

illabelle
06-10-2015, 10:13
My wife and I, along with 5-6 friends are going to do a 6-day, 5-night trip from Erwin, TN to the Mountain Harbor Hostel, crossing the Roan Highlands. We couldn't go until July, so we are missing the peak flower time, but I'm sure we will enjoy it just the same.

The Roan Highlands are peaking now. Stop whatever you're doing and just go! We were there this past weekend. Here's a view from the top of one of the balds north of Carver's Gap.

BenOnAdventures
06-10-2015, 10:29
Mid August to Mid September: Three weeks on the southern half of JMT - Horseshoe Meadow to Bishop, followed immediately by a three day hike on the CDT and reunion in Rocky Mountain National Park. Will be a GREAT trip. Sweet that is so awesome, i'm jealous!

BenOnAdventures
06-10-2015, 10:29
The Roan Highlands are peaking now. Stop whatever you're doing and just go! We were there this past weekend. Here's a view from the top of one of the balds north of Carver's Gap.
Wow!! That is amazing!!

BenOnAdventures
06-10-2015, 10:30
What do you mean by "add me"? To a blog? To the hike? Sorry. I am a bit thick on this one. On here lol

BenOnAdventures
06-10-2015, 10:31
What do you mean by "add me"? To a blog? To the hike? Sorry. I am a bit thick on this one. On here lol but you can follow my blog if you don't mind, the link is in my signature on here, it'd be much appreciated!

Trance
06-10-2015, 10:59
Leaving to hike the Tahoe Rim Trail in 14 days~~~~~

TREKMAN001
06-10-2015, 14:55
I work six days a week, so hiking time for me is always at a premium.
That said, in May I was super happy to do 35 miles on the Batona Trail here in New Jersey.
I was lucky enough to see a six foot Timber Rattler near Quaker Bridge. They are on the endangered species list here, so I snapped a pic and notified Wharton State Forest about it.
All in all, a nice hike... I only wish I was on the AT for a few months!!
Guy.

Seatbelt
06-10-2015, 15:24
I just finished up the northern "half" of the AT in the smokys over Memorial Day which I'd had to skip previously; this fall I plan to pick up my northern journey from Elk Garden, VA and hike to Marion or Atkins.

daddytwosticks
06-10-2015, 16:12
Due to family medical issues, I need to limit my hikes to 3 or 4 day ventures relatively close to home. I'm still happy to get out, even for a day hike. :)

mak1277
06-10-2015, 16:30
Did my "big" trip for this year in May. Did the Zion Traverse + the Narrows. First time hiking in canyon country and it was fantastic. Can't wait to go back.

skippysjs
06-10-2015, 17:57
'Taking a few weeks in July to hike from Pen-Mar to the southern end of SNP! Ready to be on the trail! :)

Dogwood
06-10-2015, 21:17

You threw me off on that itinerary because I was thinking No Way is it 45 trail miles or any kind of miles from Grand Marais MN to Munising MI. Got it now. Grand Marais MI.

MuddyWaters
06-10-2015, 21:35
CT in august, if work permits. If not, LT in sept.

Odd Man Out
06-10-2015, 23:56
You threw me off on that itinerary because I was thinking No Way is it 45 trail miles or any kind of miles from Grand Marais MN to Munising MI. Got it now. Grand Marais MI.

But a hike from Grand Maris MN to Grand Maris MI would be awesome. Both are on the North Country Trail.

JumpMaster Blaster
06-11-2015, 00:02

Ah, ha ha ha ha, YESSSS! This is up on Jane Bald right? Roan High Knob & Roan High Bluff are clear as day...I need to find this spot.

illabelle
06-11-2015, 05:09
Ah, ha ha ha ha, YESSSS! This is up on Jane Bald right? Roan High Knob & Roan High Bluff are clear as day...I need to find this spot.

Jane or Round Bald - not sure which. After this rock, the trail levels out a bit, and you pass Grassy Ridge Trail shortly. A little bit of a drive from Fayetteville, but absolutely fabulous! There was a photographer on the rock pictured, a local, and his opinion was that rhododendrons would peak this week - like now. I hope you can get out there this weekend and the weather is cooperative.

MuddyWaters
06-11-2015, 06:37
Usually a couple professional photographers there. It can take years to get a combo of perfect weather and bloom for really great shots. A hard rain storm can knock the bloom off in an instant, windy days as well. Plenty of stock photos on internet to see.