PDA

View Full Version : I'm planning on thru hiking after graduation, any advice on NOBO vs SOBO?

BenOnAdventures
06-09-2015, 18:43
Hey everyone I graduate early in May next year and am planning on thru hiking the AT, I was debating whether to go NOBO or SOBO. Any advice would be gladly accepted. Thanks!

Slo-go'en
06-09-2015, 19:41
Do a flip flop starting in Harpers Ferry. Early May is too soon to go SOBO and a little late to go NOBO, but starting in the middle is pretty much ideal for that time of year. The flip-flop hike is also being heavily promoted to reduce the stress of large numbers starting at Springer in the spring, which could be of record numbers next year due to the "Walk in the woods" movie.

BenOnAdventures
06-09-2015, 19:46
Do a flip flop starting in Harpers Ferry. Early May is too soon to go SOBO and a little late to go NOBO, but starting in the middle is pretty much ideal for that time of year. The flip-flop hike is also being heavily promoted to reduce the stress of large numbers starting at Springer in the spring, which could be of record numbers next year due to the "Walk in the woods" movie.
Well you see, I do have the option to go SOBO, like I could wait a month until after I graduate. What do you think about that? Also thanks for the advice

MuddyWaters
06-09-2015, 20:20
Do what appeals to you most. It will be personal preference, dictated by other factors in your life. You CAN start NOBO in May, you will behind the bubble, and thats not a bad thing. It still gives you 5 months. Many can do it. Some cant. Depends largely on shape and pack weight.

You have an 80% chance of not making it all the way anyway, so dont put the cart before the horse. Just put on a pack, and start walking. If you make it to HF, you will have planned out what you want to do from there. You have a lot of time to do nothing but think.

chiefduffy
06-10-2015, 05:07
Don't forget to consider the difficulty of a SoBo start. Katahdin and the 100 mile wilderness are extremely challenging, and if you are not in optimum shape you will have a better chance of finishing a NoBo or Flipflop.

BenOnAdventures
06-10-2015, 07:42
Do what appeals to you most. It will be personal preference, dictated by other factors in your life. You CAN start NOBO in May, you will behind the bubble, and thats not a bad thing. It still gives you 5 months. Many can do it. Some cant. Depends largely on shape and pack weight.

You have an 80% chance of not making it all the way anyway, so dont put the cart before the horse. Just put on a pack, and start walking. If you make it to HF, you will have planned out what you want to do from there. You have a lot of time to do nothing but think. Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. I'm in good shape and my pack weight wouldn't be too much. Also I don't care about that 80 percent chance of not making it statistic, that's just a number that has no relation to me in any shape or form, stay positive! Who cares about stuff like that! But thanks anyways its great hearing advice, feel free to add me!

BenOnAdventures
06-10-2015, 07:43
Don't forget to consider the difficulty of a SoBo start. Katahdin and the 100 mile wilderness are extremely challenging, and if you are not in optimum shape you will have a better chance of finishing a NoBo or Flipflop. I believe I'm in good shape now and I'm doing a lot of working out and training right now so I think I'd be fine. I love the idea of going SOBO, because either way you have to hit that 100 mile stretch anyways, why not get it out of the way first? Just thinking positive! Also feel free to add me!

bigcranky
06-10-2015, 10:37
Get one of the thru-hiker guides, either the Companion or the AT Guide. It'll help with the planning process.

Maine and the rest of New England are very difficult even for experienced hikers. You're young, and you'll be fine, but don't underestimate it too much :)

One of the advantages of the Harper's Ferry nobo start is that you get to "finish" twice - once on Katahdin and once on Springer. You also hit Maine at the perfect time of year - late summer, rather than in June with bugs and high water.

Water Rat
06-10-2015, 10:55
I love the idea of going SOBO, because either way you have to hit that 100 mile stretch anyways, why not get it out of the way first?

It sounds like you have already made your decision.

Just do not underestimate the rivers and hiking in Maine in June and you should be fine. Even those who are in good physical shape can psych themselves out by underestimating the hiking in Maine. The actual hiking is only half the battle. If you are looking to hike with others, and are not graduating until May, I would suggest a flip-flop hike.

RockDoc
06-10-2015, 14:51
"Who cares about stuff like that!"

It's reality dude, care about it. You have an 80% chance of being a section hiker (which is not so bad).

Water Rat
06-10-2015, 15:14
Also I don't care about that 80 percent chance of not making it statistic, that's just a number that has no relation to me in any shape or form, stay positive! Who cares about stuff like that! But thanks anyways its great hearing advice, feel free to add me!

It didn't feel like MuddyWaters was being in any way negative when he mentioned a very real statistic. He was presenting fact. If you choose to dismiss it because you feel it is negative and not something you want to dwell on, that is absolutely your choice. However, you can also take that information and absorb it and learn from it - Why is that number so high? What can I learn from this to decrease my odds of not completing my goal. That would then turn that information into something positive.

I don't mean this to sound harsh, but when you say things like "who cares about stuff like that," it comes off as arrogant and not in any way positive. Then adding "thanks anyway" right after that comment? Well, that kind of comes off as a tad dismissive.

Folks around here do know what they are talking about and they aren't always willing to sugarcoat it. You have two choices in these instances - You can listen and learn and turn that info into something positive, or you can dismiss it and take nothing away from the conversation. You won't always have upbeat days on the trail, but it is what you come away with from the overall experience that counts. Just like life.

BenOnAdventures
06-11-2015, 09:36
It didn't feel like MuddyWaters was being in any way negative when he mentioned a very real statistic. He was presenting fact. If you choose to dismiss it because you feel it is negative and not something you want to dwell on, that is absolutely your choice. However, you can also take that information and absorb it and learn from it - Why is that number so high? What can I learn from this to decrease my odds of not completing my goal. That would then turn that information into something positive.

I don't mean this to sound harsh, but when you say things like "who cares about stuff like that," it comes off as arrogant and not in any way positive. Then adding "thanks anyway" right after that comment? Well, that kind of comes off as a tad dismissive.

Folks around here do know what they are talking about and they aren't always willing to sugarcoat it. You have two choices in these instances - You can listen and learn and turn that info into something positive, or you can dismiss it and take nothing away from the conversation. You won't always have upbeat days on the trail, but it is what you come away with from the overall experience that counts. Just like life.

I was just making a point that that statistic has no correlation on me or involves me in any shape or form. Yeah the info as to why that statistic is the way it is but in all reality that statistic does not affect me at all.

BenOnAdventures
06-11-2015, 09:37
"Who cares about stuff like that!"

It's reality dude, care about it. You have an 80% chance of being a section hiker (which is not so bad).

That stat does not affect or relate to me at all.

BenOnAdventures
06-11-2015, 09:38
It sounds like you have already made your decision.

Just do not underestimate the rivers and hiking in Maine in June and you should be fine. Even those who are in good physical shape can psych themselves out by underestimating the hiking in Maine. The actual hiking is only half the battle. If you are looking to hike with others, and are not graduating until May, I would suggest a flip-flop hike.
Thanks the advice is much appreciated! And my decision isn't fully made i'm just weighing all options

BenOnAdventures
06-11-2015, 09:39
Get one of the thru-hiker guides, either the Companion or the AT Guide. It'll help with the planning process.

Maine and the rest of New England are very difficult even for experienced hikers. You're young, and you'll be fine, but don't underestimate it too much :)

One of the advantages of the Harper's Ferry nobo start is that you get to "finish" twice - once on Katahdin and once on Springer. You also hit Maine at the perfect time of year - late summer, rather than in June with bugs and high water.
Thanks your advice is greatly appreciated!

BenOnAdventures
06-11-2015, 09:40

One of the advantages of the Harper's Ferry nobo start is that you get to "finish" twice - once on Katahdin and once on Springer. You also hit Maine at the perfect time of year - late summer, rather than in June with bugs and high water. Thanks the advice is greatly appreciated!!

4eyedbuzzard
06-11-2015, 09:46
Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. I'm in good shape and my pack weight wouldn't be too much. Also I don't care about that 80 percent chance of not making it statistic, that's just a number that has no relation to me in any shape or form, stay positive! Who cares about stuff like that! But thanks anyways its great hearing advice, feel free to add me!

I was just making a point that that statistic has no correlation on me or involves me in any shape or form. Yeah the info as to why that statistic is the way it is but in all reality that statistic does not affect me at all.

Most of the 80% who don't make it are in good shape, with lower pack weights, positive attitudes, blah, blah, blah - and many of them also don't believe that statistics include(d) them. You have been added - to the statistics. You'll figure it out, maybe . . .

BenOnAdventures
06-11-2015, 09:58
Most of the 80% who don't make it are in good shape, with lower pack weights, positive attitudes, blah, blah, blah - and many of them also don't believe that statistics include(d) them. You have been added - to the statistics. You'll figure it out, maybe . . . You make me laugh, how can I be part of the stats if I haven't thru hiked the AT yet? So no I haven't been added. Those stats do not affect me at all.

That's like using plane, car or train crash stats to basically say don't travel in vehicles because of the crash rates. It's irrelevant and does not affect me.

4eyedbuzzard
06-11-2015, 10:01
Or maybe not . . .

Water Rat
06-11-2015, 11:14

I completely understand what you were saying... It appears that you still have not absorbed what I was saying. You are looking at a piece of the puzzle, rather than the overall picture. There is a reason why the same information (you did solicit advice...) is being repeated. That must mean that it is important and WOULD pertain to you if you chose to undertake hiking the AT, as stated in your original post.

Your original request was for ANY ADVICE and that has been provided. The fact that you keep saying it doesn't pertain to you... Well, hindsight will most likely cause you to reassess that statement. If you come on a forum and solicit advice, you should listen to what is being said.

As for your statement of "weighing all the options." You do not come across as weighing any options than what you want to hear. The dismissive attitude and statements of "you make me laugh" when people take the time to respond will not get you the assistance you will need to have a successful hike.

Slo-go'en
06-11-2015, 12:15
Maine has a way of chewing people up and spitting them out. 25% of SOBO's don't even make it through the 100 mile wilderness. If you don't think that applies to you, you are a fool.

Traveler
06-11-2015, 12:39
When looking for this kind of advice, blunt and direct should be expected. Statistics certainly don't apply to you until you become one, ignoring them ensures you do. The premise of your initial question is sound, however discounting basic knowledge like the statistical realities of what you are facing is not.

You can be in as good a shape as 21 years on the planet will allow, but it will not stop you from breaking bones, tearing muscles/tendons, developing infected blisters, blowing out critical limb joints, cuts and minor injuries that turn septic, slips/falls, diseases/viruses carried by insects, parasites/viruses carried by animals you don't even have to see to be exposed to, ingesting any number of things that can make you so ill you will die without medical treatment, all of these random things conspire to take one off the trail presuming they are survived.

Then there are the hubris issues; taking a wrong turn that allows one to become lost, not planning well for resupply, running out of water without any clue where a water source is, lack of knowledge in setting up camp or new gear, figuring you are stronger than the rain swollen stream you want to cross and forgetting just a few inches of fast moving water will take you off your feet, widow makers, developing hypothermia due to improper preparations, not understanding the rules of the area where you are at any one specific time and interface with the authority that will enforce them. These are all things that are only preventable by the hiker that will impact finishing.

Then there are other issues like running out of funds, the effects of cheap or inappropriate gear, other people, weather, and other seemingly minor things that will affect mileage or the desire to continue.

An 80% failure rate should be a concern of some magnitude, certainly in discovering what issues comprise that percentage. Understanding failures typically makes one better prepared to succeed, dismissing them typically adds one to the larger percentage group. So far you have gotten some pretty good advice people have spent decades accumulating the experience to provide. As RocDoc said, its reality... pure and simple.

Have a great walk!

Water Rat
06-11-2015, 18:37
I was going to just walk away from this thread, but something about Ben's dismissive attitude, and seemingly lack of respect for nature, made me have the genuine fear that this kid will become part of a different AT statistic - The ones who don't make it home. The trail is not all Kumbaya around the campfire - It is hard work and it can be a very dangerous place. If you listen to nothing else, listen to this bit of advice. You are not immortal and the trail is not a game. Sometimes, no amount of preparation can keep you safe from one bad decision.

We are coming up on the 3 yr anniversary of one such event on the AT. I never met the young man, but I have the utmost respect for the way he lived his life. Through his mother's journal I have learned that he was a very hard worker with an amazing work ethic. He trained and prepped and was funny and smart. From his friends I have learned he was one of the most positive people on the trail and was well liked by many, and loved by his close trail family. Before I tell this story, Ben, I want you to know I am telling this story in an effort to get it through your head that it is not all about how fit you are. I am telling you this story because it is simply an example of how one small decision can have a huge impact. Had this decision been made on a different day, at a different time, the results would probably have been different. In this instance, the results were fatal.

*This example is in no way meant to spark a debate over what decisions could have been made. It is merely a very sad example to show how one small decision can have a huge and very unintentional result.*

I am talking about an AT hiker from the 2012 class - Parkside. He started his journey down at Springer and had made it all the way up to Maine and was going strong! He was about 200 miles from the end of the trail, with many more trails in his future. At the end of a long day of hiking, he set up his tent at a gorgeous pond. He was hiking with others, but made the decision to go for a swim by himself. This is a decision that I myself have been very guilty of and am in no way judging his decision - it is one that I have been lucky to get away with and will always remember from here on.

It is speculated that his legs possibly cramped up from the cold water, or the 20 miles he hiked that day, or the lack of potassium. Regardless, he was unable to save himself. He yelled and it alerted his friends. In spite of their amazing and selfless efforts, they couldn't save him. Parkside had done everything right, had the right attitude... But, one small decision had a major impact on not just hike, but on his life and the lives of all who loved him. One decision toward the end of his hike. That is how quickly things can change out there - There is no safety net. The advice you are receiving about the trail is all very good advice. The more you listen and mentally prepare, the better your odds.

Parkside would have been just a little older than you, Ben. He had his whole life ahead of him. I have no doubts that his family is still a bit lost without him. This past March, one of the hikers, Achilles, wrote a follow-up to his trail journal. He was there with Parkside, and he was a friend of Parkside's. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=483104

I would honestly hate for your hike to be anything other than what you want it to be. More importantly, I hope you choose to listen to the advice here - Advice that can improve the odds of your success on the trail. Yes, a positive mental attitude is a major asset. However, there is a huge difference between taking information and using it to turn your hike into a positive, and dismissing something you don't want to hear because you feel it is too negative.

rocketsocks
06-11-2015, 21:09
I was going to just walk away from this thread, but something about Ben's dismissive attitude, and seemingly lack of respect for nature, made me have the genuine fear that this kid will become part of a different AT statistic - The ones who don't make it home. The trail is not all Kumbaya around the campfire - It is hard work and it can be a very dangerous place. If you listen to nothing else, listen to this bit of advice. You are not immortal and the trail is not a game. Sometimes, no amount of preparation can keep you safe from one bad decision.

We are coming up on the 3 yr anniversary of one such event on the AT. I never met the young man, but I have the utmost respect for the way he lived his life. Through his mother's journal I have learned that he was a very hard worker with an amazing work ethic. He trained and prepped and was funny and smart. From his friends I have learned he was one of the most positive people on the trail and was well liked by many, and loved by his close trail family. Before I tell this story, Ben, I want you to know I am telling this story in an effort to get it through your head that it is not all about how fit you are. I am telling you this story because it is simply an example of how one small decision can have a huge impact. Had this decision been made on a different day, at a different time, the results would probably have been different. In this instance, the results were fatal.

*This example is in no way meant to spark a debate over what decisions could have been made. It is merely a very sad example to show how one small decision can have a huge and very unintentional result.*

I am talking about an AT hiker from the 2012 class - Parkside. He started his journey down at Springer and had made it all the way up to Maine and was going strong! He was about 200 miles from the end of the trail, with many more trails in his future. At the end of a long day of hiking, he set up his tent at a gorgeous pond. He was hiking with others, but made the decision to go for a swim by himself. This is a decision that I myself have been very guilty of and am in no way judging his decision - it is one that I have been lucky to get away with and will always remember from here on.

It is speculated that his legs possibly cramped up from the cold water, or the 20 miles he hiked that day, or the lack of potassium. Regardless, he was unable to save himself. He yelled and it alerted his friends. In spite of their amazing and selfless efforts, they couldn't save him. Parkside had done everything right, had the right attitude... But, one small decision had a major impact on not just hike, but on his life and the lives of all who loved him. One decision toward the end of his hike. That is how quickly things can change out there - There is no safety net. The advice you are receiving about the trail is all very good advice. The more you listen and mentally prepare, the better your odds.

Parkside would have been just a little older than you, Ben. He had his whole life ahead of him. I have no doubts that his family is still a bit lost without him. This past March, one of the hikers, Achilles, wrote a follow-up to his trail journal. He was there with Parkside, and he was a friend of Parkside's. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=483104

I would honestly hate for your hike to be anything other than what you want it to be. More importantly, I hope you choose to listen to the advice here - Advice that can improve the odds of your success on the trail. Yes, a positive mental attitude is a major asset. However, there is a huge difference between taking information and using it to turn your hike into a positive, and dismissing something you don't want to hear because you feel it is too negative.
Just gotta say I know that was heart felt, Bravo! She's right dude.

rickb
06-11-2015, 21:59
You make me laugh, how can I be part of the stats if I haven't thru hiked the AT yet? So no I haven't been added. Those stats do not affect me at all.

That's like using plane, car or train crash stats to basically say don't travel in vehicles because of the crash rates. It's irrelevant and does not affect me.

More like using statistics to say don't fail to use your seatbelt (ever) and don't get in a car with someone who has been drinking behind the wheel.

That will increase you chance of living until old age.

But I am sure you know that.

What things can you do to increase your chances of a having an enjoyable and successful (However you define that) thru hike?

Buying a light (ish) pack is one, but it is rather far down the list.

CELTIC BUCK
06-13-2015, 07:32
Water Rat your response was spot on. Well done. To the younger Hikers out there PLEASE listen to advice its not that old vs young thing. Its respect for Nature and what it can & will toss at ya.We're all survivors till it ends bad.

miaublau
06-24-2015, 20:15
Hi Ben! I plan to thru-hike after my graduation next May 2016 too. I haven't decided if I'm doing NOBO or SOBO, but I'm so close to Georgia, I'd like to start at Springer.

Dogwood
06-24-2015, 20:55
I feel you Ben. Take the positive road( I so dig that!) but don't let your positive approach blind you to what Water Rat is saying. It's not that you have to include yourself in those 80-90% AT thru-hiker wannabe but fail stats it's the dismissive attitude that you can't LEARN something from those stats. I'm the same way as you in that I never considered myself in those 80-90% stats when I did my first AT NOBO thru BUT that DID NOT keep me from realizing why so many are in that 80-90% category. Those realizations assisted me in happily completing my at theru-hikes by avoiding many of those same pitfalls! If experience is a great teacher one can fast track life's lessons by learning from the experiences of others! Of course, don't place a major focus on those stats. Place the major focus on the hows and whys of that 10-20% that realize their AT Thru hike goals. Take clues on how those 10-20 % behave but also take a few general clues on how not to behave from those other 80-90% too!;)

Dogwood
06-24-2015, 20:57
Those realizations assisted me in happily completing my AT thru-hikes by avoiding many of those same pitfalls that those 80-90% experienced!