PDA

View Full Version : any gyms on the trail? 24hr fitness, any one day membership etc...

soulrebel
11-16-2005, 08:10
Hey again all,
Ok, the resupply bug has passed and I'm once again light in my thoughts and planning. But now, I'm wondering if there are any places that I might be able to lift weights in any of the small towns?

I hate lifting weights, but it's important to some of the other fun I like to have. So if anyone knows where I can get in some bench, pullups, and curls--I'd be much obliged.

"I see you're very taut!!!" Taut like me!

justusryans
11-16-2005, 08:18
Man, you can do chin-ups about anywhere you can find a rafter beam.

Skidsteer
11-16-2005, 08:32
Dude. I'm as dedicated to weightlifting as the next guy, but if you can think about barbells after 15-20 miles you're a better man than I! :eek:

peter_pan
11-16-2005, 08:41
Put a few rocks in your pack, if you like.... carry one in each hand, curl and press as you walk... when you stop for the night put down a pad and do your sit ups with the pack on your chest... There are plenty of ways to work those muscles on the AT.

Best to add rocks and work out on the up hills...any one can do it on the levels downs. :D

Pan

Lone Wolf
11-16-2005, 08:56
On my long hikes I would curl a rock as I walked. I would do push ups in the morning too. And go running on days I wasn't hiking.

Uncle Silly
11-16-2005, 09:49
There are places like the YMCA in Waynesboro VA (excellent campsite, btw) that will be fairly convenient to the trail. Most small towns would be unlikely to harbor a full-on gym, though nearby larger towns could (eg Delaware Water Gap and Stroudsburg, PA). But I'm with the other posters -- I think you can come up with some improvised lifting regimen without leaving the trail. Curls with your pack during a break? Bench-pressing logs at the shelter in the evenings? Who needs a gym?

Mouse
11-16-2005, 11:27
I don't know, after the body started gobbling up the upper body muscle mass from hiking hundreds of miles trying to keep up prehike weightlifting performance might be rather difficult.

The Solemates
11-16-2005, 12:26
its ridiculous to even think you are gonna weightlift on the trail. i lift 5-6 times a week and was a rock solid 220lbs when i left for the trail. i dropped to 190 on the trail, and at one point in new hampshire was down to 180. after about a year after completion of my thru-hike, i was back to my starting weight. if you are serious about bodybuilding, you will begin to bring back the muscle after a hike. but thru-hiking is in no way conducive to bodybuilding, no matter how you slice it.

the goat
11-16-2005, 13:31
yeah, there's a gold's gym in monson, north woodstock, salisbury, and troutdale.

due to the volume of requests, most of them have special hiker rates.;)

The Solemates
11-16-2005, 13:36
Lol...monson with a golds.:clap

the goat
11-16-2005, 13:40
Lol...monson with a golds.:clap

yeah, the shaw family owns the golds.

the pie lady owns bally total fitness across the street.

Nightwalker
11-16-2005, 13:41
yeah, there's a gold's gym in monson, north woodstock, salisbury, and troutdale.

due to the volume of requests, most of them have special hiker rates.;)
What does goats know about liftin' weights any heavier than trash bags. Heh!

:eek:

soulrebel
11-16-2005, 13:55
Lol, thanks all. I appreciate some of the places mentioned and also some of the non-places.

After the AT, we've got an ultra and 2 Ironman races planned and I hate backsliding too much in the weightroom-just b/c it leads to an overall loss in power...

--pot-stirrer----
Anyways-for all the folks that think backpacking is a "workout"--it's really just a warmup. chew on that one :) I think LW and some of the other endurance athletes will back me up on this one...hehe

Lone Wolf
11-16-2005, 13:59
Long distance backpacking isn't physically challenging for me.

the goat
11-16-2005, 14:04
--pot-stirrer----
Anyways-for all the folks that think backpacking is a "workout"--it's really just a warmup. chew on that one :) I think LW and some of the other endurance athletes will back me up on this one...hehe

lemme know when you find those golds, man. i think the phone numbers & membership fees are somewhere in wingfoot's book.

Almost There
11-16-2005, 15:08
Kiss my big white butt! Hiking is too a workout!!! For you to suggest otherwise is insulting.:datz I know why don't you do the trail carrying only a fannypack, wearing assless chaps with an Asshat on your noggin!!! That should make it more of a challenge....oh and to keep up the strength you can pull my fat ass in a rickshaw!!!:D

the goat
11-16-2005, 15:21
Kiss my big white butt! Hiking is too a workout!!! For you to suggest otherwise is insulting.:datz I know why don't you do the trail carrying only a fannypack, wearing assless chaps with an Asshat on your noggin!!! That should make it more of a challenge....oh and to keep up the strength you can pull my fat ass in a rickshaw!!!:D

LOL.....sometimes those who suggest otherwise have yet to do a thru:-? .......if that's a two-seater rickshaw, I CALL SHOTGUN!!!!

Almost There
11-16-2005, 15:35
sometimes those who suggest otherwise have yet to do a thru:-? .......if that's a two-seater rickshaw, I CALL SHOTGUN!!!!
Anyone who has ever carried a 70lb pack up a mountain knows otherwise! BTW there's always room in the rickshaw for THE Goat, maybe you could nudge him with your horns when he slows down on the uphills!!!!:dance ...or he could just Contra dance his way down the trail!

the goat
11-16-2005, 16:49
Anyone who has ever carried a 70lb pack up a mountain knows otherwise! BTW there's always room in the rickshaw for THE Goat, maybe you could nudge him with your horns when he slows down on the uphills!!!!:dance ...or he could just Contra dance his way down the trail!

excellent, i'll sharpen my horns....i'll have to contact smokeymtsteve too, so i can brush up on my dog sledding commands.....MUSH, MUSH!!!

The Solemates
11-16-2005, 17:07

i'll have to agree with lone wolf on this one. thru-hiking isnt a workout. but then again, ive never carried a 70lb pack.

Nightwalker
11-16-2005, 17:11
Long distance backpacking isn't physically challenging for me.
It's a mental challenge for me. The "away form home, miss the wife" thang. If it were just the physical part, I'd probably live out there (between injuries!)

Wifey is socking away money into the 401-K. We hike together a lot. The time is gonna come when home is just a place to go between hikes. I love being outside in an non-explainable way.

Sly helped me with the headaches. One of the links he sent me to has me drinking way more water than most folks. If I could find some shrooms, that'd supposedly stop the clusters long-term, but it'd kinda kill my hair-follicle drug-test-taking ability for awhile. :-)

Custom Superfeet fixed the plantar fasciitis. Heavy exercise is helping lots of other stuff. It's all good. The physical part is the good part. I've always liked your ripped-off quote "pain is weakness leaving the body."

Guess I need to go out there and find something new to tear up. I'm doing GA again before it gets too cold so as to be able to GPS map it with not so many leaves on the trees.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Soruck in January, LW. What kinda beer do you like best?

:D

Peaks
11-16-2005, 17:33
About the only lifting I might do along the trail is a few long necks.

frieden
11-16-2005, 17:37
Stretching has been proven to retain muscle mass, with athletes who have been injured, and can't lift weights. You should stretch before and after your hike anyway, but it should help you retain your lean muscle. You can use anything as a weight, as long as you keep strict form.

Hey again all,
Ok, the resupply bug has passed and I'm once again light in my thoughts and planning. But now, I'm wondering if there are any places that I might be able to lift weights in any of the small towns?

I hate lifting weights, but it's important to some of the other fun I like to have. So if anyone knows where I can get in some bench, pullups, and curls--I'd be much obliged.

"I see you're very taut!!!" Taut like me!

lobster
11-16-2005, 17:40
LW,

You on a midlife health kick??

You must be taking after Jack!

Skidsteer
11-16-2005, 18:40
After the AT, we've got an ultra and 2 Ironman races planned and I hate backsliding too much in the weightroom-just b/c it leads to an overall loss in power...

Spend your time eating high-quality food and lots of it during your town days; that'll help as much as anything else-including lifting weights-toward keeping the muscle wasting to a minimum. Cheers.

Sly
11-16-2005, 18:55
Sly helped me with the headaches. One of the links he sent me to has me drinking way more water than most folks. If I could find some shrooms, that'd supposedly stop the clusters long-term, but it'd kinda kill my hair-follicle drug-test-taking ability for awhile. :-)

They don't test for 'shrooms Frank! If you're that worried go here....

http://www.bngprodx.com/qhair.htm

It sucks you have to break the law to cure your clusters but it's worth it. Painfree for nearly two years.

Lone Wolf
11-16-2005, 19:11
It's a mental challenge for me. The "away form home, miss the wife" thang. If it were just the physical part, I'd probably live out there (between injuries!)

Wifey is socking away money into the 401-K. We hike together a lot. The time is gonna come when home is just a place to go between hikes. I love being outside in an non-explainable way.

Custom Superfeet fixed the plantar fasciitis. Heavy exercise is helping lots of other stuff. It's all good. The physical part is the good part. I've always liked your ripped-off quote "pain is weakness leaving the body."

Guess I need to go out there and find something new to tear up. I'm doing GA again before it gets too cold so as to be able to GPS map it with not so many leaves on the trees.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Soruck in January, LW. What kinda beer do you like best?
:D
What kind? OP. Other People's.:D

Lone Wolf
11-16-2005, 19:19
LW,

You on a midlife health kick??

You must be taking after Jack!
Kinda sorta.

HarleyHogPit
11-16-2005, 19:29
This whole discussion was nothing but a huge laugh for me. I needed a good laugh though. Thanks for that! I'm sure it is going to be a WORKOUT and a half for me.

HarleyHogPit
11-16-2005, 19:33
I read the title of this thread and I just had to check it out. I was thinking, who the heck works out while thru hiking the AT? You are a better man than I my friend.

weary
11-16-2005, 20:45
LW, You on a midlife health kick?? !
Hey, that's an interesting thought. Do you suppose I might be in a "midlife" crisis?

DLFrost
11-17-2005, 03:53
But now, I'm wondering if there are any places that I might be able to lift weights in any of the small towns?

Unlike some of these jokers, I can appreciate how you'd like to keep the muscle you've worked hard to obtain....

It's not unusual these days for hotels and motels to have circuit-training machines, so I'd call about and see if some along your planned AT section have em. There are manuals out there with advanced bodyweight routines. (Prison tested, street approved.) These will certainly work on the trail and I recommend experimenting with it, as they were developed by people who have the same weightroom-access problems you're facing.

Remember that if you can get sufficient intensity (i.e. the HIT approach) you only need to train once a week to maintain your current mass and strength.

Doug Frost

bfitz
11-17-2005, 04:26
You can lift all the rocks you want, but if your not getting enough protein you're gonna waste just like the next guy. You can get the fruit juice flavored whey protein isolate and mix it with your water...and bring good food and supplements. You can do body resistance excersises on trail...I had the idea of doing 1 push-up for every day I had walked so far and figured I'd be crankin em out by the end but my max effort never seemed to be able to go much past a certain threshold. Of course I gave it up but...I think it was nutrition holding me back (that plus laziness and partying, but I have that at home too.) I wonder if anyone has ever thru-hiked on steroids?

The Solemates
11-17-2005, 11:09
Unlike some of these jokers, I can appreciate how you'd like to keep the muscle you've worked hard to obtain....

Doug Frost

yea, i woulda liked to have kept muscle too, but im tellin ya, it aint gonna happen.

The Solemates
11-17-2005, 11:11
It's not unusual these days for hotels and motels to have circuit-training machines,
Doug Frost

and moreover, please name a motel on the AT that has "circuit-training" machines. please....

the goat
11-17-2005, 12:54

It's not unusual these days for hotels and motels to have circuit-training machines, so I'd call about and see if some along your planned AT section have em.

yeah, check with the doyle, they just converted the ballroom into a state of the art hydraulic equipment room complete w/ a sauna and whirlpool. also, check rusty's hard time hollow, rusty just inked a deal to have some nautilus machines installed in his spring house.:jump

Almost There
11-17-2005, 13:19

I can accept being called a joker....but being told that I don't want to keep my hard earned muscle is just plain RUUUDDDEEE!!!!:datz

I am a high school wrestling and football coach and so my muscle mass is still important to me, but unless you get enough of the right kinds of food it's all for naught!

As for those that say hiking the AT isn't a workout, you need to look up the definition of a workout, and yes I understand that doing marathons and ironman competitions, etc. is much more strenuous, but all the same anything that burns over 6000 calories in a day is a workout...by definition, it may not be a challenge for some physically but you are still working certain muscles. I found a great tricep workout is to actually use your arms in conjunction with your hiking poles as you go up hill. It works rather well.

If that doesn't work...Goat and I will still be happy to ride in rickshaw with you pulling!:D

Lone Wolf
11-17-2005, 13:21
Sure it's a workout. Just not a very tough workout.:)

Mouse
11-17-2005, 14:44
[giggle]

I remember the first full trail journal I read, by a British Royal Marine paratrooper. You know, the hunkiest of the hunkiest. He was shocked at what happened to his running ability by the halfway mark and in New England wrote with despair of how his upper body muscles had all but vanished. Unless you manage some really unusual diet regimen I doubt one can really keep one's pre-thruhike physique.

Hiking seems to turn us into, well.., hikers!

Gray Blazer
11-17-2005, 14:45
Are there any basketball courts on the trail?

Almost There
11-17-2005, 15:11
I hear that there is a great basketball court on the top of Katahdin, just below the summit....and I've played on the one that tops Blood Mountain, just be careful the ball doesn't leave the court, it's a long way down to retrieve it!

Oh...and supposedly they're building another one at Tinker Cliffs.:D

tiamalle
11-18-2005, 00:29
Hey again all,

"I see you're very taut!!!" Taut like me!Franklin,NC has two nice gyms and walk ins are welcome.Franklin fitness even has pools,spa's
and all type exercise machines,weights and more.

Nightwalker
11-18-2005, 12:37
Hey, that's an interesting thought. Do you suppose I might be in a "midlife" crisis?
We can only hope, young man.

;)

TREE TOP
12-07-2005, 00:55
I Think Soulrebel Has A Point Here !

oliander
12-07-2005, 18:56
Hey Soul Rebel - If you're training for Ironman, are you thinking about scheduling in some of your thru-hiking "off-days" to get in some long runs or bike rides? You can rent bikes in certain towns. And there must be some lakes around, for open-water swim practice, with the water sufficiently warm by summer.

I'm doing a half-Ironman about 6 weeks after ending a section-hike on the AT next year, so I'm trying to figure this out too. This summer, I went from tri training straight into a section-hike (in Oregon) and then back into tri training, and unfortunately noticed a loss of speed and even a little endurance, particularly in cycling and swimming. Conclusion: Long-distance walking is probably great base training if you are months away from the triathlons, but if you are just weeks away you will have to just adjust to the fact that your triathlon fitness will decrease a bit.

The walk should certainly help you prepare for the ultra, though!

Oliander

Programbo
12-07-2005, 19:37
I`m sure there are plenty of large rocks laying around the various shelters you can use to get some lifting in

c.coyle
12-08-2005, 07:43
Starting next spring, Coyle's Gym, a 20 minute hitch from Swatara Gap or 501 Shelter, will be open to hikers passing through Pa. No chrome, no mirrors, no ferns, no machines. Free weights and racks. Boom box (BYOM). Optional beer donations will be accepted.