PDA

View Full Version : First time hiking the AP

Eddi
06-09-2015, 21:12
Hello all, my daughter and I are doing a short hike on the AP for the first time. We are going to hike in Pennsylvania from Port Clinton to Lehigh GapBreak. Does it make a difference if we hike north to south or south to north? this my seem like a stupid question I just didn't know if there is preferred way to go for first trimmers. thanks or all your help

MuddyWaters
06-09-2015, 22:23
Nope, go whatever way is convenient or interests you.
By the way, where is the AP?

Eddi
06-09-2015, 22:40
LOL yes I realized what I had done when it was to late. I cant edit it so I guess it called the AP from now on

illabelle
06-10-2015, 05:32
We have hiked all of Pennsylvania EXCEPT that section. I hear it's rocky!
Enjoy your adventure on the "AP". :)

atbackpacker
06-10-2015, 06:02
go from lehigh gap to port clinton. when you exit the trail, take her to the port clinton hotel for cheese fries and a steak sandwich.
the last six summers, i've been taking a small group of senior scouts along this route for their fifty miler award. it's rocky but do-able and fun!

the scouts call me slo-poke and the other leader is caboose.

Eddi
06-10-2015, 06:56
Thanks atbackpacker, can you tell me what part of the trail has the most elevation? is it closer to leigh gap or port Clinton. thanks again all who have posted.

Scrum
06-10-2015, 08:02
LOL yes I realized what I had done when it was to late. I cant edit it so I guess it called the AP from now on

This typo has the makings of a great trail name - "AP"!

Eddi
06-10-2015, 08:27
Wow that didn't take long. I thought that after it happened but then I thought NO nobody will bring that up. What kind of name as "AP" ??? maybe I'll go by Ape

Singto
06-10-2015, 08:55
I saw a video on YouTube of a hiker's AT hike in which one girl's trail name was AP as in App, not A-P.

atbackpacker
06-11-2015, 06:07
it's closer to port clnton. the pinnicale is the highest elevation in PA at a woping 1800ft.

Eddi
06-11-2015, 08:35
ok great I'm taking your advice, we're going the 3rd weekend in July wish us luck. AP out

atbackpacker
06-14-2015, 16:34
eddi, if you start at the base of lehigh gap, heading south on the trail, you'll find a spring at the top of the hill just short of outerbridge shelter on the right side of the trail, fill up there. the next reliable source i know of is just past bake oven knob and short of rt. 309. turn right and follow the blue trail to the base of the hill. i can't think of the campsite name offhand, but it's a nice place to put up a tent on your first night out. i hope you have a great time!

until recently it's been really dry around here.

Eddi
06-15-2015, 12:25
Thank you for the advice I have been out of town so I just got a chance to check this out. You have been very helpful so I have one more question I can think of right now. We will be taking our hike July 22 - 26th. Once we finish the hike do you know of a shuttle that would take us back to our car?