PDA

View Full Version : Good recipes and menus

71bronco
06-10-2015, 11:38
What are some of your favorite food for multi day hiking and recipes? I'm looking for some good ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJJ
06-10-2015, 11:52
Curried lentils(dal) and quinoa. Use the orange dal. It has already been cooked and dehydrated. Quinoa is easier and more nutritious than rice.
Hard boiled eggs last a couple of days as long as the shell is intact.
These Hemp Protein Bars (http://www.veggiesbycandlelight.com/hemp-heart-protein-bars/) are the most calorie and nutrient dense bars I've ran across and DELICIOUS.

Vegan Packer
06-10-2015, 17:35
Spicy Applesauce
1 64 ounce jar of unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Powdered Ginger
1/8 Cup Brown Sugar (Optional)
1 Tsp Lemon Juice
2 Cups Raisins
2 Cups Walnuts

AT HOME

Add all ingredients except raisins and walnuts to a saucepan. Warm the saucepan ingredients over medium-low heat, to meld flavors and dissolve solids into the applesauce.

After measuring to determine the size of an individual portion (test out on a plate or in a bowl–I find that one jar makes about six portions), keep track of how many portions you have for your end product, and evenly spread the applesauce onto dehydrator fruit roll trays, about a quarter inch thick or less. Set the dehydrator for 10 to 12 hours at 140F.

Check at about halfway done, and rotate the trays to assure even dehydrating. Keep checking every so often. Once you have a solidified fruit leather that is not fully dehydrated, separate the leather from the fruit roll trays. You may need to use a thin metal spatula or knife to carefully separate the forming leather from the tray. Flip the moist fruit leather, and place directly on the dehydrator drying tray but without the leather tray. This will speed the remaining dehydration of the applesauce.

When finished, the final product should be completely dry, not sticky. Cut into portions, place in a plastic bag or other container, and then place in the freezer until ready for the trail.

Chop up walnuts into smaller pieces. Combine with raisins, and place in a container or plastic bag. Store in a cool, dry place, or freeze until ready to take on the trail.

ON THE TRAIL

On the trail, you can eat the fruit leather as a snack, or you can rehydrate by adding some hot water, placing in a cozy for a few minutes, and then kneading as required until reconstituted as applesauce. Don’t add too much water! You can always add more if you find that the applesauce is not reconstituting properly.

If rehydrating, add raisins and walnuts and distribute throughout the applesauce evenly. If you choose to eat some of your applesauce as fruit leather, you can eat the leftover raisins and nuts as a separate snack.

Vegan Packer
06-10-2015, 17:39
Spicy Brown Rice Pudding
Makes about 5 - 8 portions

Ingredients:
1/2 cup pitted dates
1 cup uncooked brown rice
6 cups unsweetened almond milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Large or up to 3 Small Cinnamon Sticks
1/2 cup raisins
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup maple syrup (Grade A Light is best)
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1-2 teaspoons ground ginger (1 for mild, 2+ for extra spicy)
2 tablespoons maple sugar
1 Vanilla bean (optional)

Add almond milk, salt and rice to a medium saucepan. Stir to mix. Add cinnamon sticks. Bring mixture almond to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, wait a few minutes to allow the temperature to begin to drop in the mix (in order to prevent boiling over in the next step), stirring a few times as the mix begins to cool (in order to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the saucepan), and then cover the saucepan. Simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally to prevent rice from sticking to the bottom of the saucepan. After the hour, split optional vanilla bean pod, remove seeds, and add the seeds to the saucepan, then add the pod. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is cooked and has absorbed most of the almond milk, which should take about an hour or so.

Meanwhile, place dates in a bowl and pour 1/2 cup boiling water over them. Let soak for at least 15 minutes, then transfer dates and water to a blender and puree until smooth, creating a date paste. Add a little water to the blender, if necessary, in order to develop the correct texture, which should be a little thinner than toothpaste but still firm. Stir the date syrup, raisins (see note), vanilla extract, ginger, and ground cinnamon into the rice. Simmer for a few minutes, and then remove the saucepan from stove. Remove cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean pod before serving.

Note: If you plan on dehydrating the pudding, do not add the raisins at this time.

Dehydrating:

Spread the cooked rice out thinly, about a quarter inch thick, on dehydrator "fruit roll up" trays, or otherwise using non-stick sheets, parchment paper or the liners for your unit. Dry the rice at 125 for approximately five hours. (Dehydrating rice times vary with dehydrator models and humidity.) Scrape the partially dehydrated pudding from the dehydrator trays, flip it over, and then repeat drying for five more hours. Remove from the dehydrator. Tear the dehydrated pudding "sheets" into pieces that are about an inch or so squared or smaller, and add to a food processor or Vitamix. Chop into small pieces that are about gravel sized. Do not overprocess, or you will end up with dust that will not have the right texture when you rehydrate your pudding. Your goal is just to break down the large clumps of stuck-together dehydrated pudding into larger crumbs, less than the size of a pea.

Add back to the dehydrator for about two more hours. The finished rice should be back to the texture of uncooked rice, with just the slightest moisture in the pudding part of the mixture. If sticky, place back in the dehydrator for longer.

Add 2 ounces of the pudding to your storage device, such as a plastic bag that you intend to use for rehydration on the trail, crumbling the pieces that have stuck together during dehydration. It is okay for some of the crumbs to remain stuck together, but the smaller that you can make the crumbs, the easier it will be to rehydrate your pudding. Add .8 ounces of raisins. If storing for more than a few weeks, you can keep the dehydrated pudding in the freezer.

Rehydration on the trail:

I use thick plastic bags for my storage and rehydration. However, if you do not wish to use the bag for hot water addition "cooking," transfer your dehydrated mix to your "cooking" device. Boil a half cup of water, and add most of it to the rice pudding and raisins. (This should be just a little bit more than enough water to cover the mixture. Do not add too much water! You can always add extra water near the end of the process.) Briefly mix the hot water into the pudding mixture. (I do this by gently squeezing the plastic bag contents.) If using the plastic bag as your "cooking" device, purge air from the bag, in order to allow for steam expansion, and seal the bag. Place your cooking device in a cozy for about 15 minutes, occasionally further mixing the water and the pudding during rehydration. If needed, add more hot water and mix into the pudding. Give a final mix to the contents just before serving. Serve and enjoy!

Vegan Packer
06-10-2015, 17:45
Super Easy Cherry Fruit Leather

Buy frozen dark organic cherries from Costco. They sell big bags. No pitting. All the work has been done for you.

Defrost for a bit to soften the cherries. Throw into the Vitamix or blender, and turn into fine puree. Add to fruit roll trays (mine fits about two cups in each tray) in the dehydrator.

I have to look around for the directions, but I believe that the dehydrator should be set at 125F for about 10 hours. Cut into slices and roll.

Vegan Packer
06-10-2015, 17:47
BTW, I am always looking for vegan recipes, especially those that work with Freezer Bag Cooking. Please share! :D

71bronco
06-10-2015, 21:54
Thanks keep them coming! Do most long distance hikers do a lot of cooking on the trail or use more pre made foods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket Jones
06-11-2015, 06:00
Check out trailcooking.com, backpackingchef.com and hungryhammockhanger.com (might have to google those last two).

Tuckahoe
06-11-2015, 06:40
Hungry Hammock Hanger's YouTube videos -- https://www.youtube.com/user/MrBabelfish5/videos