PDA

View Full Version : Foothills Trail South Carolina

Moosling
06-10-2015, 15:53
Hey I was just curious if anyone here has hiked the Foothills trail in SC From Table Rock SP to Oconee? Me and my hiking partner want to plan a trip sometime in the next couple years to get down there and hike it. What did you think? Any suggestions or points of interest you'd recommend? Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

AO2134
06-10-2015, 16:23
I have section hiked the whole trail. It is a pretty nice trail. The section near table rock you have mostly mountains. The middle section you have mountains/lakes/rivers. The Oconee Section you have mostly rivers.

Overall I enjoyed the trail. This trail has many, many bridges. It crosses water a lot.

I have a website where I documented my section hike of the foothills trail. It has pictures and description of the hike.

Here it is if you are interested: http://georgiahiker.weebly.com/foothills-trail.html

If you do look at it, please let me know if you found it helpful.

Grits
06-10-2015, 19:14
77 miles and a fun trail. Start at Oconee State Park and go to table Rock. Shuttles are available. Get the guide book or map from the Foothills trail Conference.
http://www.foothillstrail.org/ I have hiked it a couple of times and am planning on hiking it again this fall.

Dogwood
06-10-2015, 19:36
Several detailed threads on this here on WB.

The Solemates
06-10-2015, 22:28
I'm one of the few who like it better westbound. Hiked it once east and three west.

Rain Man
06-10-2015, 22:46
If you like, I'll post links to my photo albums of my hikes of the FT, which include the spur.

Moosling
06-11-2015, 07:11
If you like, I'll post links to my photo albums of my hikes of the FT, which include the spur.

That would be great! Thanks everyone for their help.

Drybones
06-11-2015, 08:00
This may be my favorite hike, did Table Rock to Oconee two years ago in December, easy walking with great scenery, took 4 days but when I do it again I'll take 6 to spend time swimming in the river and showing under the falls...you'll enjoy it.

Rain Man
06-11-2015, 09:47
That would be great! Thanks everyone for their help.

Here are links to my photo albums of my three trips on the Foothills Trail. I planned to do it as a thru-hike, but the heat stopped me short, so I went back to finish it. Then went back to do the spur to Jones Gap State Park. Enjoy! The captions are my trip report.

July 2011 Oconee SP to Hwy 178 (http://www.meetup.com/NashvilleBackpacker/photos/2554751/)
Sept 2011 Hwy 178 to Table Rock SP (http://www.meetup.com/NashvilleBackpacker/photos/3456742/)
July 2012 Sassafras Mtn to Jone Gap SP (http://www.meetup.com/NashvilleBackpacker/photos/9395382/)

These were great trips and I really like the Foothills Trail. It is challenging. I certainly recommend taking your time and enjoying the views, the opportunities to swim and cool off in the waterfalls, streams, and lakes, and nice camp spots.

We had a bear enter our camp at Burrells Ford early one morning. Ran right away as soon as we said "Shoo!"

Rain Man

red5
06-11-2015, 10:07
My two (young) kids and I just finished this hike in March. It was amazing. We started in Table Rock and hiked to Oconee in order to get the harder section done first. There was water everywhere (not sure what water is like in mid to late summer though). Camp sites were for the most part frequent and not hard to find. The terrain gets easier and easier the closer you get to Oconee.
I'd recommend a spring or fall hike for the comfortable temperatures. Summer is of course doable but it is pretty hot and humid. Even the winter would be quite enjoyable if you don't mind colder hiking. A bonus of a non-summer hike is more views due to a lack of foliage.
Laurel Valley to Whitewater was by far my favorite section (this is the middle of the trail). There are numerous waterfalls and rivers and creeks to follow, a lake to hike around, many scenic bridges to cross and not many hikers to run into.
It's really not that hard of a trail but I can't really compare it to any other trail either. My kindergartner was able to hike the entire thing over 6 days.
There's an extremely detailed guide book which is good for water sources and camp sites but otherwise is probably overkill.
If you want suggestions on good camp sites just give me a reply.
Now you've got me wanting to get up and hike it again!

Dogwood
06-11-2015, 11:04
Nice photo album RM. Happy to see that you did the spur to Caesar's Head SP and onto Jones Gap SP soaking in the sights. Good that you included the info about the bath house at Jones Gap SP.

As seen in this Mountain Bridge Wilderness Map there are several ways through Caesars Head SP which I would think helpful to include in the Foothills Trail Conference guidebook and map. From your photo album RM it seems that your party took the Natureland Trust Tr #14 at the junction of the GumGap/Foothills Spur Tr #13 taking in the view and adventure crossing the suspension bridge atop Raven Cliff Falls to the Dismal Tr #12 doing the shin deep ford in the process UP UP UP to the Raven Cliff Falls Tr #11 to the Raven Cliff Overlook getting the view across to Raven Cliff Falls. HEED the signage; the Dismal Tr is STEEPLY graded and, from what I can tell, not maintained; when wet it is muddy and slippery. An easier more gentle way to the Raven Cliff Overlook is to simply follow the Gum Tr/Foothills Spur to the overlook which is an old road. It's not nearly as exciting, scenic, and adventurous though.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AwrBTzlkmXlVEP4AH7pXNyoA;_ylc=X1MDMjc2 NjY3OQRfcgMyBGZyA3lmcC10LTkwMS1zBGdwcmlkA3hYd3BiRD VJUkN5YjhycEFpT1AubkEEbl9yc2x0AzAEbl9zdWdnAzIEb3Jp Z2luA3NlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20EcG9zAzAEcHFzdHIDBHBxc3 RybAMEcXN0cmwDMzAEcXVlcnkDam9uZXMgZ2FwIHN0YXRlIHBh cmsgdHJhaWwgbWFwBHRfc3RtcAMxNDM0MDMyNTc0?p=jones+g ap+state+park+trail+map&fr2=sb-top-search&fr=yfp-t-901-s&fp=1

royalusa
06-11-2015, 11:32
It's a lovely trail. Be sure to take all the side trails to the waterfalls. Our journal can be found here:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=346264

I did a quick scan on it and found a few tidbits of info that may help you such as:
* The junction of the Foothills Trail and Pinnacle Mountain Trail is the beginning of Table Rock State Park - A plaque with the trail info and park rules welcomed us and stated “no hiking after dark”. There is a small campsite just outside the Table Rock State Park boundary on the Foothills Trail if needed as backcountry camping is not permitted in Table Rock State Park.

* We did an out-n-back to Table Rock. It added 3.4 miles each way to our hike. Although we could have come down the Table Rock Trail, we wanted to backtrack all the way to the Pinnacle Mountain Trail, as that is the official Foothills Trail. Also the couple we chatted with mentioned that the Pinnacle Trail is so much nicer than the crowded beaten path of Table Rock Trail. Pinnacle even offered us one last set of water falls!

Now whether all I just said is still accurate or not, I do not know, as we hiked it in 2011.

Have a fun trip!

brianb2
06-11-2015, 12:44
We're planning to do this as a thru west to east in the fall. Any challenges for doing it with hammocks?

royalusa
06-11-2015, 13:01
Any challenges for doing it with hammocks? IIRC, hammocks should not be a problem - trees all over the place!

tagg
06-11-2015, 13:35
We're planning to do this as a thru west to east in the fall. Any challenges for doing it with hammocks?

None at all. I've hiked it several times with a hammock, and I've always been able to hang anywhere I wanted along the way.

Moosling
06-11-2015, 13:38
My two (young) kids and I just finished this hike in March.

How old are your kids if you don't mind me asking? I'm a new Dad my son is 14 months and another one on the way, I've been trying to figure out a good age to get him started hiking.

red5
06-11-2015, 14:42
How old are your kids if you don't mind me asking? I'm a new Dad my son is 14 months and another one on the way, I've been trying to figure out a good age to get him started hiking.

5 and 8 at the time of that hike. My youngest started hiking just after he turned 5 (I had never really hiked before so it was new to all of us). We started with easier trails and within a couple months he was hiking some fairly strenuous trails. He has pretty short legs so sometimes it can be a bit slow which is of course just fine. There used to be some hand holding for particularly steep ascents or descents but not so much this year (he just turned 6).

Moosling
06-11-2015, 15:54
5 and 8 at the time of that hike. My youngest started hiking just after he turned 5 (I had never really hiked before so it was new to all of us). We started with easier trails and within a couple months he was hiking some fairly strenuous trails. He has pretty short legs so sometimes it can be a bit slow which is of course just fine. There used to be some hand holding for particularly steep ascents or descents but not so much this year (he just turned 6).

Great to know, I already take him out in one of those Baby Bjorn carriers he seems to really like being in the woods, So we'll see what happens. Thanks for getting back to me!

brianb2
06-11-2015, 15:56
5 and 8 at the time of that hike.
That's great. My kids are 7 and 10 and we were thinking about doing it as a family.

red5
06-11-2015, 18:31
That's great. My kids are 7 and 10 and we were thinking about doing it as a family.

Just do it! My 8 year old did just fine with the terrain so perhaps your 7 year old would as well. They did about 12 miles per day on average I would say, very light packs with just a sleeping bag and a change of clothes. They were already in "hiking shape" from previous hikes which helped a lot. I tried to make it as fun for them as possible; camp fires, playing cards, snacks and meals. I think the biggest challenge is to keep them mentally in good shape rather than physically. They want to go out again during their summer vacation, so we'll see.

saltysack
11-29-2015, 09:56
My two (young) kids and I just finished this hike in March. It was amazing. We started in Table Rock and hiked to Oconee in order to get the harder section done first. There was water everywhere (not sure what water is like in mid to late summer though). Camp sites were for the most part frequent and not hard to find. The terrain gets easier and easier the closer you get to Oconee.
I'd recommend a spring or fall hike for the comfortable temperatures. Summer is of course doable but it is pretty hot and humid. Even the winter would be quite enjoyable if you don't mind colder hiking. A bonus of a non-summer hike is more views due to a lack of foliage.
Laurel Valley to Whitewater was by far my favorite section (this is the middle of the trail). There are numerous waterfalls and rivers and creeks to follow, a lake to hike around, many scenic bridges to cross and not many hikers to run into.
It's really not that hard of a trail but I can't really compare it to any other trail either. My kindergartner was able to hike the entire thing over 6 days.
There's an extremely detailed guide book which is good for water sources and camp sites but otherwise is probably overkill.
If you want suggestions on good camp sites just give me a reply.
Now you've got me wanting to get up and hike it again!

Did y'all do a food cache or you carried for the 6 days? I'm planning to hike it the 6 days between Xmas and new year with my 9 year old. Was planning eastbound but maybe I'll reconsider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mylesrowe
12-02-2015, 01:23
What kind of gear would you recommend for a December hike of the foothills? What was the weather like when you hiked?

mylesrowe
12-02-2015, 02:08
This may be my favorite hike, did Table Rock to Oconee two years ago in December, easy walking with great scenery, took 4 days but when I do it again I'll take 6 to spend time swimming in the river and showing under the falls...you'll enjoy it.

What kind of gear would you recommend for a December hike of the foothills? What was the weather like when you hiked?

HeartFire
12-02-2015, 06:28
I just finished the Foothills Trail - I did it in 2 sections, Bad creek east and then Bad creek west. What a wonderful hike!

stir crazy
12-03-2015, 14:47
Heartfire,
How were the trail conditions from bad creek to Laurel Valley? One of my favorite hikes. Heading up there possibly next week.

saltysack
12-04-2015, 00:04
I just finished the Foothills Trail - I did it in 2 sections, Bad creek east and then Bad creek west. What a wonderful hike!

How were conditions? Planning to go in few weeks.

saltysack
12-04-2015, 00:19

How were conditions? Planning to go in few weeks.

Dogwood
12-04-2015, 00:46
Maybe, I'll run into you Saltysack. I'm feeling the need for a New Yr's hike from Mountain Bridge Wilderness(Jones Gap SP) in SC via the Foothills Tr via a thru of the Bartram Tr to Cheoah Bald south on the AT to Amicalola Falls SP.

Skyline
12-04-2015, 01:26
The Foothills Trail is challenging in places due to some fairly steep rollercoaster type terrain using wooden steps put in to make it easier. Not sure it does that, but at least it cuts down on erosion. Other parts are easier. There are some very scenic stretches. The camping areas I used were decent.

One thing I would avoid is hotter weather, because that area can get extremely muggy. Better to hike after Autumn's cooler weather sets in, or before Spring's warmer temperatures.

red5
12-22-2015, 07:51
Did y'all do a food cache or you carried for the 6 days? I'm planning to hike it the 6 days between Xmas and new year with my 9 year old. Was planning eastbound but maybe I'll reconsider.

We brought enough food just in case things did not work out but did meet with some family at Whitewater Falls and got some extra food which made the second half of the hike more comfortable.
East to west or west to east would both be great hikes. I liked getting Pinnacle / Sassafras done and out of the way personally.

fadeaway
12-22-2015, 19:34
Did thru hike in 2014. Great trail, lots of water and scenery. Do recommend starting at Oconee State Park. The beginning trail at Table Rock is all uphill.

ncmtns
01-03-2016, 19:26
I plan on hiking this trail in this month. Is there alot of fording of streams. Is there a place to food stock up midway on the trail?? Thanks for any answers!

winger
01-06-2016, 10:15
I plan on hiking this trail in this month. Is there alot of fording of streams. Is there a place to food stock up midway on the trail?? Thanks for any answers!

All of the streams have foot bridges.
Mid way is approximately the Bad Creek area and it is closely accessible to a road (highway 130) but there are no grocery stores or restaurants there. I carried enough food for 7 days and it was a winter trek so I had 35 lbs total pack weight. Weather conditions could be a real factor this time of year so plan accordingly and have a great hike.

ChuckT
01-06-2016, 11:16
Have you looked at the Foothills Trail website? I think there's a local contact listed there. When I was at Ellicott Rock in October 2014 I met one gentleman who was shuttling hikers and he impressed me as being extremely knowledgeable about support details. I was also told that Duke Energy was willing to accept and hold mailed packages at their facility there for hikers attempting a thru.