PDA

View Full Version : love on the trail

Limbohiker
11-16-2005, 14:45
While I plan to hike for other reasons I was wondering about love on the trail? Does it happen a lot? Does anyone have any interesting stories?

Like I said, this is not the reason I am planning a thru hike at all. But in september I took a trial week on the AT in Virginia and met three male thru hikers and stayed a night with them. I became completely infatuated with them. Whether it was their manly (havent taken a shower in a week) :p smells, their bushy beards, or their genuiness, ill never know. Think about it, how can a 21 year old female like myself meet three ruggedly handsome men of the same age completing a dream of hers and not fall completely head over heels.

Granted, like i said this is NOT the reason i plan to complete the trail at all, nor would i be dissapointed if absolutely nothing happened, but i dont want to give up on the idea.

Any good stories?........(ha ha or know the three men i adore so)

Almost There
11-16-2005, 15:29
First instinct...this is a joke, as usually it's guys asking about stuff like this. Yes it can happen, and if you're a female and you want it to happen, it most likely will, although not guaranteed. But hey if you like the Grizzly Adams look...and SMELL then go for it! Be careful about broadcasting this secret fetish/desire or you will have the boys looking for ya all over the trail! Regardless, good luck with your hike!

Mouse
11-16-2005, 16:08
Be careful

I remember my evening at Abol Bridge. A young couple arrived and having weathered the Hundred Mile Wilderness the man decided to dump her. She was hurt, furious, devestated; he a defensive "what are you so worked up about". It became clear that she had thought they had built a real attachment to each other on the Trail while for him it had been just a strictly temporary matter of convenience to be left behind with the trail.

Mouse
11-16-2005, 16:12
oops, it deleted most of my first sentence!

Be careful that one person does not think it is one thing and the other thinks it is something else.

Not all trail pairings are like that but I saw a number that did go awry that way.

Uncle Silly
11-16-2005, 16:21
hahahahahaha.... well, if bearded and smelly does it for ya, you won't find any shortage on the trail. i saw several trail hookups this summer; my friends Bottlerocket and Sunflower got together in southern VA and were still going strong last time i saw them. others didn't fare so well, but that's relationships for you.

a lot of the guys on the trail are hoping for tail and frustrated ... since the ratio is many guys to each girl, i doubt the girls were having the same troubles.

i did discover a great bit of "trail wisdom": if she's still shaving her legs, she's looking for a man.

dharmabum86
11-16-2005, 16:29
I'm loving the hairy legs comment because that is sooooo true. As a female hiker, I can say that I am most definately attracted to rugged, smelly, hiker boys. But, I can also say definately be careful. I've had a couple friends who got so attached to guys they met on the trail that they left the trail and their dreams when it didn't work out. I say, let what happens happen! And I'm sure you won't have any shortage of men, tee hee hee:D
OJ

Uncle Silly
11-16-2005, 16:43
of course, some of us prefer the women with hairy legs ... heck, i'm not gonna shave on the trail, why should they?? :D

dharmabum86
11-16-2005, 16:47
of course, some of us prefer the women with hairy legs ... heck, i'm not gonna shave on the trail, why should they?? :D

RIGHT ON WITH THAT!!!!! Can I get an AMEN!!!!!!!!! :jump

The Cheat
11-16-2005, 16:52
A gorgeous model who likes smelly guys. Hmmmm, where/when will you be hiking next?

dharmabum86
11-16-2005, 16:57
A gorgeous model who likes smelly guys. Hmmmm, where/when will you be hiking next?

No gorgeous model here:D I could be the poster child for Lady Schik or Secret after a few days in the woods but, definately no modeling!
How can men not like rugged hairy hiker women????:-?

the goat
11-16-2005, 16:59
No gorgeous model here:D I could be the poster child for Lady Schik or Secret after a few days in the woods but, definately no modeling!

IMO, the more rugged & hairy, the better....

The Cheat
11-16-2005, 17:07

Mmmm, The Cheat like! :datz ;)

Although I was actually talking to LimboHiker, LOL.

dharmabum86
11-16-2005, 17:10
Good thing because you would have been very, very disappointed! I was wondering where the model part came from??? I am a blonde, excuse me :datz

Roland
11-16-2005, 17:13
First instinct...this is a joke~~~
Good instinct, as this thread was started in the Hiking Humor forum.

The Cheat
11-16-2005, 17:15
Good thing because you would have been very, very disappointed! I was wondering where the model part came from??? I am a blonde, excuse me :datz

Mmmm, blonde good.

smokymtnsteve
11-16-2005, 17:26
While I plan to hike for other reasons I was wondering about love on the trail? Does it happen a lot? Does anyone have any interesting stories?

Like I said, this is not the reason I am planning a thru hike at all. But in september I took a trial week on the AT in Virginia and met three male thru hikers and stayed a night with them. I became completely infatuated with them. Whether it was their manly (havent taken a shower in a week) :p smells, their bushy beards, or their genuiness, ill never know. Think about it, how can a 21 year old female like myself meet three ruggedly handsome men of the same age completing a dream of hers and not fall completely head over heels.

Granted, like i said this is NOT the reason i plan to complete the trail at all, nor would i be dissapointed if absolutely nothing happened, but i dont want to give up on the idea.

Any good stories?........(ha ha or know the three men i adore so)

come to AK...U would B in HEAVEN! :banana

Footslogger
11-16-2005, 17:37
I remember a few hikers in 2003 who were outspoken in terms of their "lookin for love" goals. Pretty sure they all went home disappointed. I'm sure that "hook-ups" do occur during a thru-hike but from what I saw they were few and far between.

'Slogger

HarleyHogPit
11-16-2005, 19:48
This was so freakin' hilarious. Thanks again for the laugh!

Nean
11-16-2005, 23:09
If this old boy can find love on the trail, ANYONE can. It happens all the time, just like in real life!

Sly
11-16-2005, 23:27

dharmabum is being modest. She's a looker! ;)

hammock engineer
11-16-2005, 23:30
Just remember if you pick someone up go back to their tent. If it doesn't work out you don't want them to know where you live.

rickb
11-16-2005, 23:35
I met my wife, Jen, on the AT when we were both out on solo weekend hikes.

Sly
11-16-2005, 23:41
Two of my hikers partners got married and had kids with women they met on the trail.

I'm still hiking!:rolleyes:

bfitz
11-17-2005, 04:40
I always like to see a woman with hairy pits and such..I don't really know why...mabye its a backlash from too much internet:banana but its warm and fuzzy just how I like it. Now...three days outta town, there's things I just won't do and places I just won't go, but tent-lovin' is the best!

MacGyver2005
11-17-2005, 09:27
Just remember if you pick someone up go back to their tent. If it doesn't work out you don't want them to know where you live.

That was awesome! I need to refrain from laughing that hard while in the office. Thanks for the laugh, you caught me totally off guard with that one.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

TAMBOURINE
11-17-2005, 09:32
hahahahahaha.... well, if bearded and smelly does it for ya, you won't find any shortage on the trail. i saw several trail hookups this summer; my friends Bottlerocket and Sunflower got together in southern VA and were still going strong last time i saw them. others didn't fare so well, but that's relationships for you.

a lot of the guys on the trail are hoping for tail and frustrated ... since the ratio is many guys to each girl, i doubt the girls were having the same troubles.

i did discover a great bit of "trail wisdom": if she's still shaving her legs, she's looking for a man.That's cute guess i won't shave lol;)

bfitz
11-17-2005, 09:43
a lot of the guys on the trail are hoping for tail and frustrated ...
The term is "pinkblazing". Its a good motivational technique for makin miles too. (believe me) Both for the chaser and the chaste...I mean... chased.

Lone Wolf
11-17-2005, 09:45
I could write a book on this subject.:D

Almost There
11-17-2005, 10:01
This is where I am thankful I am married! Harmless flirting is fun on the trail, but what is even better is watching the guys makes asses of themselves when they see a pretty face on the trail. You want some other fun too, go over to trailjournals just before March and read the females sign-in books where guys with trail experience express their appreciation of a newbie females gear knowledge and trail know-how, etc.

Hoping for that hook-up on the trail fellas?:datz OHHHH YEAHHH!!!!!:D

bfitz
11-17-2005, 10:04
...go over to trailjournals just before March and read the females sign-in books...
Wow, that's a pretty good idea!

Almost There
11-17-2005, 10:21
Wow, that's a pretty good idea!

Make sure you only read the pretty ones! Those are the best! I was floored 6000+ hits and she hadn't even started hiking yet, literally only had 4 pre hike pages posted, but she was a hottie!!!:D

A guy who had already hiked the AT once, the Colorado Trail, and one other trail, I forget which one, started professing to this girl about her apparent genius when it came to picking gear, even professing to take her advice on getting certain gear due to her recommendation. If that's not looking for a booty call....then I don't know what is!:jump

dharmabum86
11-17-2005, 11:33
dharmabum is being modest. She's a looker! ;)

Sly, how are you????!!!!!!! I'm no looker, you better stop fabricating the truth :D Thanks for the complement though.

Sly
11-17-2005, 12:20
Sly, how are you????!!!!!!! I'm no looker, you better stop fabricating the truth :D Thanks for the complement though.

I'm doing well, yourself? Modesty and beauty, that's a tough combo to beat! ;)

tlbj6142
11-17-2005, 12:28
My brother (AT'04) met up with a woman just south of the Smokies. They hiked the entire rest of the trail together. They continued "dating" afterwards for another 6-8 months, but couldn't work it out (too bad she has been his best "catch" to date). They still "talk" with each other from time to time.

It happens. Though I wouldn't go looking for it. And, be prepared for major "issues" after you leave the trail.

dharmabum86
11-17-2005, 12:32
I'm doing well, yourself? Modesty and beauty, that's a tough combo to beat! ;)

Thank you, you're really giving me a big head! I might turn into one of those "trailjournal girls", tee hee hee!

I'm doing very well thank you. I'm just getting ready for my SOBO this coming year. I'll be at the Ruck in January though so I'll get to see you again. I can't wait! I'm planning on getting up to NOC before Christmas to do a few day hikes and goof off to get away from the holiday rush.

Sly
11-17-2005, 12:40
Thank you, you're really giving me a big head! I might turn into one of those "trailjournal girls", tee hee hee!

LOL...

I'll be at the Ruck in January though so I'll get to see you again. I can't wait! I'm planning on getting up to NOC before Christmas to do a few day hikes and goof off to get away from the holiday rush.

Let me know when you hit NOC, maybe I'll meet you. I have to go up early to stash the cache.

dharmabum86
11-17-2005, 12:46
Let me know when you hit NOC, maybe I'll meet you. I have to go up early to stash the cache.[/quote]

That sounds awesome, I can do that :D

shades of blue
11-17-2005, 13:41
you're a sly dog....sly ;)

jmaclennan
11-17-2005, 13:41
IMHO, if someone can tolerate your stink, they're a keeper. if they tolerate your wind inside a tent, there may be something wrong with them.
i, personally, was shocked that as bad as i smelled and as bad as i scarred the woman i met on the trail with my wind (in a tent as i slept soundly), she still married me.

Footslogger
11-17-2005, 13:46
IMHO, if someone can tolerate your stink, they're a keeper. if they tolerate your wind inside a tent, there may be something wrong with them.
i, personally, was shocked that as bad as i smelled and as bad as i scarred the woman i met on the trail with my wind (in a tent as i slept soundly), she still married me.
===================================
You've got a good point there GreyMatter ...and that's how I knew BadAss Turtle and I were compatible too !!

'Slogger

Gray Blazer
11-17-2005, 15:02
Love on the Trail? Sounds like a good name for a book or a reality series. I know Bob, the Ridge Runner in the Smokies, was looking for a permanent female hiking companion.

Pennsylvania Rose
11-17-2005, 15:52
I met a guy on the Trail. We got married in Abingdon, had our "reception" at Cowboy's in Damascus, and honeymooned at the Place. Fifteen years and two kids later we're . . . divorced, but still friendly. Both kids want to thru-hike. Hopefully they won't find dirty, smelly, hairy hikers too attractive.

MOWGLI
11-17-2005, 16:02
For the record, there should be no love "on" the trail. Treat this matter much as you would hammock camping in Shenandoah NP or the White Mountain NF. Quarter mile from trail, at least 200' from any water source, no rope marks on the trees, and LNT. ;)

Maybe this would be a good topic for a "hands-on" seminar at the SORUCK. If I wasn't married, I'd offer to lead the course. :banana

Almost There
11-17-2005, 16:06
For the record, there should be no love "on" the trail

Yes, please do not "LOVE" where my feet tread...besides the fact it is very poor LNT practice.:eek:

Rain Man
11-17-2005, 17:24
I met a guy on the Trail. We got married in Abingdon, .... Fifteen years and two kids later we're . . . ...

Dang, Rose... you were only a teenager!

Rain:sunMan

Gray Blazer
11-18-2005, 10:51
Speaking of love on the Trail, did I tell you about the time I ran into the Swedish Bikini Backpacking Team...............

Youngblood
11-18-2005, 11:49
Speaking of love on the Trail, did I tell you about the time I ran into the Swedish Bikini Backpacking Team...............
Was that the time they wanted you to hike with them, but you couldn't because they were going in the wrong direction?

Lumberjack
11-18-2005, 12:00
For the record, there should be no love "on" the trail. Treat this matter much as you would hammock camping in Shenandoah NP or the White Mountain NF. Quarter mile from trail, at least 200' from any water source, no rope marks on the trees, and LNT. ;)

Maybe this would be a good topic for a "hands-on" seminar at the SORUCK. If I wasn't married, I'd offer to lead the course. :banana

Love involving rope marks? Im intrigued...
A hands-on seminar would be very popular....

hammock engineer
11-18-2005, 12:03
Was that the time they wanted you to hike with them, but you couldn't because they were going in the wrong direction?

I think that would force me to take a couple negitive mile days.

Gray Blazer
11-18-2005, 13:09
Positively!

Sly
11-18-2005, 14:12
you're a sly dog....sly ;)

LOL... Who me, now why would you say something like that? :)

dharmabum86
11-18-2005, 14:29
LOL... Who me, now why would you say something like that? :)

Well, Sly, this gives me a whole new insight into your name!? I think you're a sweetheart! You were very nice to me at Soruck, or were you being "sly"????????

Sly
11-18-2005, 15:12
Well, Sly, this gives me a whole new insight into your name!? I think you're a sweetheart! You were very nice to me at Soruck, or were you being "sly"????????

LOL... Sly is from my last name, no ambiguity there! Just a "sweetheart" at heart. :)

My schedule varies and has me working most weekends, so I'll be stashing the cache sometime during the week. I'll probably do about 6-8, mostly around the NOC campus, but would like to do one up near the Morgan Shelter and another north on the AT.

I'll PM you next month with a day that looks good. Can you get off during the week?

dharmabum86
11-18-2005, 15:36
I'll PM you next month with a day that looks good. Can you get off during the week?

At this point, Sly, I'm ready to quit my job!!! But, yes I can get off during the week. I'm a nurse so as long as I have coverage for patients I'm good to go! Look forward to seeing you, don't forget me!
OJ

Bjorkin
11-18-2005, 15:38
i hike to forget women not find 'em. But then again, if the wind is blowing in the right direction...