PDA

View Full Version : Off Trail?

squeezebox
06-11-2015, 02:39
So what knocked you off the trail? When? And how are you doing new?

squeezebox
06-11-2015, 02:42
And how are you doing now?

Starchild
06-11-2015, 06:27
Just coming from your 911 thread, nothing, but my friend get knocked off in PA due to a twisted ankle and got back on in CT a week or so later and we continued together. She is a LD section hiker so that missed section was not as big of a deal (plus it is nearest where she lives, much of that within a day trip range).

soumodeler
06-11-2015, 08:02
I got knocked off the trail day 2 in the Smokies due to what I thought was a spider bite on the back of my leg. Got a ride into town to the clinic who gave me some antibiotics. That night got worse again, so I went back home and to the local clinic, then the ER, then admitted to the hospital with what turns out was 2 separate infections, one staph, one MRSA. My 13 day stay in the hospital included 5 progressively stronger antibiotic IVs, surgery to drain fluid from the MRSA infection, and some serious side effects that were worse than the infection itself.

Ended up being a mosquito bite that allowed the staph infection to happen. Chafing was the cause of the MRSA.

I'm back to 100% but the surgery incision is still not fully healed, so I can't hike until then. Docs said I would get the staph right back if I went back out before it healed.

My 2015 thru attempt lasted 18 days and got me a total of 196 miles. Hopefully better luck next time!

Old Hiker
06-11-2015, 08:47
Leave No Trace ethics.