PDA

View Full Version : Weather issues in NH and ME in September?

jessicalynnelizabeth
06-11-2015, 08:50
October NOBO finishers, did anyone have issues with severe/extreme weather when you went through New Hampshire and Maine? I was planning to finish my NOBO thru in early September, but due to a sprained ankle I may be finishing a little later than planned. My major concern is the weather through the Whites - I've been up there in July before when it's gone below freezing, so I know it can be cold and unpredictable. Any issues in your experience, or advice on how to handle it?
Thanks!!!

Pedaling Fool
06-11-2015, 09:10
You can have severe weather anytime; I almost suffered from Hypothermia in July in the 100-mile wilderness and was hold up for 2 days due to an ice storm.

However, I've also been thru that area in Sept and finished on Katahdin, Oct 14 and from my experience during that time, it's probably the best time to go thru there, in my opinion. The bugs are pretty much gone and the leaves are changing and most heat is gone.

You do have to be concerned with cold snaps here and there, but small price to pay for the views in autumn, again, in my opinion. One night it got down to ~20 degrees and all my water froze completely solid, but it was picture perfect on top Katahdin.

4eyedbuzzard
06-11-2015, 09:26
Check out this recent thread regarding your questions - http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/111886-Maine-Mid-August-vs-Early-September-start

burger
06-11-2015, 10:17
If you're really concerned, flip and go south from Katahdin to finish. Once you get past Moosilauke, you shouldn't have to worry about extreme weather.

peakbagger
06-11-2015, 18:05
I live 3 miles from Mt Madison in NH and my office overlooks it. It is rare that the summits do not experience frost/snow by the end of October. Generally the weather patterns shift about the last week of September it usually lines up with the first week of leaf season. It usually has a stretch of rain for a week or so and then usually it clears out. The AMC huts start shutting down around the end of September which makes logistics more difficult. There can still be great stretches of weather but if its clear out, radiational cooling kicks in at night and it can definitely be below freezing up on the ridge lines. Add in wet conditions and it can get dangerous. Basically your pack weight is going to have go up to deal with potential conditions.

jessicalynnelizabeth
06-12-2015, 11:41
Thanks!!! Very helpful information, I think I'll be better prepared :)