PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Gear List Talk! What's your gear list consist of?

BenOnAdventures
06-11-2015, 09:44
Good morning everyone, I was just looking at different AT gear lists online and it got me thinking, I should see what everyone on WB has in mind for their gear lists. So what's your gear list plans/ideas for 2016?

kadowookiee
06-12-2015, 09:56
Here is my gear list: <script src="http://lighterpack.com/e/f7t8rn
"></script><div id="f7t8rn
"></div>

It's not finalized yet as I still have a few things to add, like toiletries, and I'll likely be replacing some items. Mostly small stuff like boxers and socks. MAYBE ditch the Kelty Cosmic Down 20 for an EE quilt and possibly buying a new rain jacket instead of Frogg Toggs. Thoughts on that? Also, not everything will be carried the whole trip. I'll ship the Cosmic home for my MYOG quilt along with my other winter items when it warms up, then swap out again for my cold weather gear near the end. My current summer base weight (what I take out now) is at 11.75 lbs so I'm expecting that or slightly less for the warmer months on the AT and around 14 lbs or less for spring/fall.

kadowookiee
06-12-2015, 10:07
Sorry, first post here and I guess my embedded link didn't work. I can't figure out how to edit.

Here is the URL: http://lighterpack.com/r/f7t8rn

Wolf - 23000
06-12-2015, 11:29
Every piece of equipment has been used successfully to hike the AT. Every backpack ranging from a K-mart special costing $10 to backpacks ranging $400+. It really depends on you and what you want from your hike. If your hiking 25+ miles a day, then you will be carrying different equipment compare to someone hiking 10 miles a day. If you stop and take a lot of pictures, you might carry extra camera equipment.

Your hiking gear has to match your hiking style. The gear you select is going to different than the gear someone else selects. It is just the way it is.

Wolf

Luther
06-12-2015, 16:02
possibly buying a new rain jacket instead of Frogg Toggs. Thoughts on that?

Everything I've read is mixed on Frog Toggs or not. Some people say they are too poor quality and other say they do well.

Personally I go with just a rain jacket and forgo the pants. During the summer I'm usually wearing boardshorts so they dry really fast. I haven't been cursed with being rained on when it has been super cold but I've been thinking a trash bag for a rain skirt with quick drying pants will suffice for my thru.

ShelterLeopard
06-13-2015, 00:24
Definitely get something good for rain. I have bad memories of being stuck in the shennies with no functioning raingear. That was a hard lesson to learn. (Lesson: Good rain jacket. And pants. Or hypothermia. Hypothermic ShLep is an unhappy ShLep)

Singto
06-17-2015, 23:09
Jansport Katahdin 50L w/rain cover, SMD Lunar Solo w/polycro and Groundhogs, Kelty Tuck 20 w/silk bag liner, Klymit Static V2, Cascade Mountain Tech (quick lock) poles, Amazon $10 pot/lid set, cat food can alcohol stove/$6 canister stove, Lite My Fire style spork, Samsung Grand 2 loaded with AWOL PDF guide, 5,200 mAh power supply, Sandisk Clip+ MP3 player, Princeton Tec Byte headlamp, Merrell Moab (Gore Tex) low cut hikers, 1/4 Darn tough, silk sock liner, OR Sparkplug gaiters, Terramar 4-way stretch boxer briefs, Terramar, Merino mid weight lower and upper (1/4 zip), Terramar Pro mesh shirt, Terramar silk glove liners (use Darn tough as outer if too cold), Friendly Swede Nordic Balacalava, Smartwool Beanie, Lightweight running hat, convertible long/short guide pants, lightweight camp shorts, 32Degrees down jacket, Frog Toggs or equivalent outer shell, Sawyer mini with 2L Evernew bag and Smart Water bottle, Sundland 16x32 camp towel, UST head net, Sawyer Picaridin spray and other basic small things such as Bic lighter, wax ear plugs etc. Pack base weight is 17 pounds and 28 pounds fully loaded with 4 days of food and 1.5 liters of water. *Subject to change*

jbmundy87
08-21-2015, 12:28
Here is my list so far. Green is stuff I have tried and like, yellow is stuff I am deciding on and red is stuff that I want to replace or leave. Trying to get ultralight, I still need to do some hikes with the ray way pack to see if no belt will work for me.

http://lighterpack.com/r/60ciub

heckyesnugent
08-22-2015, 11:11
I don't have all my stuff yet BUT I just wanted to tell everyone about the best sleeping bags ever. The REI Joule (women's) and Igneo (men's) are the most amazing things ever. They are light (about 2 pounds) and compress really well (5-6L) and they are 20 degree bags. they are a little on the expensive side at $300 but totally worth it :)

JaketheFake
08-22-2015, 13:14
I don't have all my stuff yet BUT I just wanted to tell everyone about the best sleeping bags ever. The REI Joule (women's) and Igneo (men's) are the most amazing things ever. They are light (about 2 pounds) and compress really well (5-6L) and they are 20 degree bags. they are a little on the expensive side at $300 but totally worth it :)

That is reassuring... Because that (igneo) is what I am carrying in 2016 to start.

capehiker
08-24-2015, 14:57
Just a reminder: don't forget to include trail guide, phone, camera, batteries, cables, chargers, etc. Those add up.

I just got back from a weekend shake down hike and I'm trail ready. Maybe I'll post up a gear list.

MrClahn
08-26-2015, 05:53
Osprey Exos 58 (- the lid), SMD Lunar Solo or Trekker, not decided yet, MLD 28 or 38* synth quilt, Thermarest prolite

OR Helium rain jacket, OR Sun Runner, Full size and face sized packtowels, Anker battery charger, Black Diamond Carbon poles, Helly Hanson thermal hoodie, or down jacket if i can get one in the sales, thermal pants, water proof pack cover
Sawyer Squeeze filter/Aquamira drops, 2l water pouch, 1L water bottles
Tin Can stove w/ tin foil wind screen, 0.6l Aluminium pot

FAK - Tape, moleskin plasters, antisceptic, ibuprofen, rehydration tabs, toothbrush/paste

Clothing/ Mostly worn - Rab T shirt, zip off trousers, merino underwear and smart wool socks (x3), possibly injini toe sock liners (x2), trail runners

evan_rolltide
08-27-2015, 12:07
http://lighterpack.com/r/cerg2q

capehiker
08-27-2015, 12:31
http://lighterpack.com/r/cerg2q

That's a nice kit. I enjoyed my TT Moment.

evan_rolltide
08-27-2015, 19:57
Thanks! Snow Wind Rain, Bitter Cold, it has kept me comfortable in it all. And easy to pitch

heckyesnugent
08-29-2015, 11:46
I'm just gonna give a heads up.. REI's Labor day sale is going on and there are lots of awesome products on sale! The REI Igneo/Joule sleeping bags are on sale, the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2 tent (my tent.. it's lighter than most 1 person tents and you get extra room), some Gregory, Deuter (45+10 and 50+10), and REI Crestrail packs are all on sale, smartwool baselayers are on sale if you need any of those for the colder months, all solomon shoes (awesome trail runners).. there are other things too but maybe not as important or helpful to us. Just thought I would give anyone who doesn't know a heads up! :)

joncarter
09-01-2015, 23:17
I'm just gonna give a heads up.. REI's Labor day sale is going on and there are lots of awesome products on sale! The REI Igneo/Joule sleeping bags are on sale, the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2 tent (my tent.. it's lighter than most 1 person tents and you get extra room), some Gregory, Deuter (45+10 and 50+10), and REI Crestrail packs are all on sale, smartwool baselayers are on sale if you need any of those for the colder months, all solomon shoes (awesome trail runners).. there are other things too but maybe not as important or helpful to us. Just thought I would give anyone who doesn't know a heads up! :)

I agree, there are some great deals. Scored a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2 for $259.99. $90 cheaper than at full price. Couldn't pass it up.

owall83
09-04-2015, 07:06
Heres my list: http://lighterpack.com/r/4aqbrj
I'm going SOBO, starting in July. I may not have all this clothing with me the whole time but my goal is to be under 12lbs base weight with winter gear. I have a heavier Western Mountaineering Flash AR at 11oz and Ice breakers gloves, knit hat and neck gaiter I haven't added to the list.

WazoAZ
10-02-2015, 14:43
Here is my list. I am planning a Feb 23rd start. Last year they had single digit temps in Feb. thus all the clothes. My clothes might be a bit excessive but I am from Phoenix. I think 50 is cold. Plan to do some winter acclimatizing in Flagstaff before I leave but better safe than sorry. There are always hiker boxes and post offices to off load what I learn I don't need. Once I get past Mt. Rogers, I will get rid of the boots, microspikes, and some of the excessive clothing. I will eventually swap out my sleeping bag for a lighter 3-season bag I own. The tent might or might not eventually be changed to a tarp for WV to NH although I don't deal well with involuntary blood donation when I am sleeping.

The Minimo Jetboil was a gift and stays. I get that it is heavy but I’ve deal with a supercat stove before. I get the ups and downs with that (food on the ground when it tips over and performance issues when it is cold). Plus it was a gift.

What do people think about the microspikes? I’ve been told yes and no. I have had several people tell me they saw trips ended with falls on ice in GSMNP.

Here are the goods: http://lighterpack.com/r/4xcgvt

WazoAZ
10-02-2015, 14:43
Here is my list. I am planning a Feb 23rd start. Last year they had single digit temps in Feb. thus all the clothes. My clothes might be a bit excessive but I am from Phoenix. I think 50 is cold. Plan to do some winter acclimatizing in Flagstaff before I leave but better safe than sorry. There are always hiker boxes and post offices to off load what I learn I don't need. Once I get past Mt. Rogers, I will get rid of the boots, microspikes, and some of the excessive clothing. I will eventually swap out my sleeping bag for a lighter 3-season bag I own. The tent might or might not eventually be changed to a tarp for WV to NH although I don't deal well with involuntary blood donation when I am sleeping.

The Minimo Jetboil was a gift and stays. I get that it is heavy but I’ve deal with a supercat stove before. I get the ups and downs with that (food on the ground when it tips over and performance issues when it is cold). Plus it was a gift.

What do people think about the microspikes? I’ve been told yes and no. I have had several people tell me they saw trips ended with falls on ice in GSMNP.

Here are the goods: http://lighterpack.com/r/4xcgvt