PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of starting a YouTube channel, need advice!

BenOnAdventures
06-11-2015, 09:54
Well I think I'm going to start a YouTube channel to pair with my blog/twitter/pinterest/instagram. Any advice on what to do for my first intro video, video software to edit like transitions, titles etc with, any advice would be helpful. Thanks!!

Bronk
06-11-2015, 10:38
If you've never done video editing before I would just download Windows Movie Maker. Its pretty simple and you can do a decent video with it.

BenOnAdventures
06-11-2015, 10:53
If you've never done video editing before I would just download Windows Movie Maker. Its pretty simple and you can do a decent video with it. I've done some editing with Windows Movie Maker. Do you know of any other? Also, is there editing on YouTube, like I see a button called creator studio, can you edit on there?

12trysomething
06-11-2015, 11:00
Excellent, it is a ton of work but I find it most enjoyable. Here are a couple of thoughts: 1) look into the camera, be yourself and try to keep away from the "um" "um" "um" - those 3 things seemed like no brainers but when I started I found them really hard to do. 2) Pay close attention to background noise and lighting. I have lost many a good shot due to planes, trains, sun and so forth. 3) make sure you use a camera with good audio. A movie with bad audio is like watching a movie with sub titles for me, I click off immediately. 4) find a few simple transitions you like and stick with them. I like "swap" and "cross dissolve" and use those 90% of the time. 5) editing software, mine is iMovie and it is all I have ever used. Regardless of what you use be prepared for a steep learning curve. I used to spend about 5x the length of the video to edit it, now I am down to about 3x or so. 6) be keenly aware of camera movement! Try and keep your arm as steady as possible and in rhythm with your movement, otherwise motion sickness will occur. 7) shoot your talking clips in short little bursts (20-40 seconds) stop and then restart the next clip. It helps to figure out what you want to say and helps with #2. 8) everybody loves gear, food and camp footage! 9) I always try and show some kind of movement between spots and talking. It takes away from the "time warp" clips of "I am here" next clip "I am now here".... and 10) include temperature, time and a bit of map if you can.It helps to set the stage a bit...and a bonus #11) make the film and videos to tell your story and what you like and do not get frustrated with views, likes and subscribers, do it for you.

I am by no means an expert nor do I have as successful a channel as others but this is what I have learned during the past year of starting my channel as well as what I look for when selecting a channel. I hope this helps!

Also, the best part is, for me, when I am old and in a rocking chair with cob webs from my nose to my knees, probably a lill drool on my chin, I can say to my grand or great grand kids...old gramps used to get out and live his life that he loved!

Best wishes,

Rob

LoneStranger
06-11-2015, 11:33
Ditto on Movie Maker being enough to get started with as far as editing. Don't over do the effects as many seem tempted to do. I make few videos for use on my blog and in product reviews, but I watch a lot in the course of researching gear and locations.

As far as content and style I'd say find your own. What works for someone else may not work for you. Some people like to fill their videos with narration which is great unless their narration detracts from the visuals. Personally I hate having to decide whether to mute a video or just turn it off if I can't deal with the inanity of pointless narrative any longer. That goes for music soundtracks as well. Musical tastes vary widely and many a video has been clicked off to avoid a jarring soundtrack. Personally I like music only for short transitions, but used well it can be great.

Above all be yourself so your videos come out looking natural rather than stilted and forced as you try to be someone else. That goes for the rest of your media empire as well :) Be yourself and let that attract your audience rather than trying to create what you think people want. Better to have a smaller exposure genuinely in tune with you than a big crowd you have to fake it for in my mind.

rocketsocks
06-11-2015, 11:43
Excellent, it is a ton of work but I find it most enjoyable. Here are a couple of thoughts: 1) look into the camera, be yourself and try to keep away from the "um" "um" "um" - those 3 things seemed like no brainers but when I started I found them really hard to do. 2) Pay close attention to background noise and lighting. I have lost many a good shot due to planes, trains, sun and so forth. 3) make sure you use a camera with good audio. A movie with bad audio is like watching a movie with sub titles for me, I click off immediately. 4) find a few simple transitions you like and stick with them. I like "swap" and "cross dissolve" and use those 90% of the time. 5) editing software, mine is iMovie and it is all I have ever used. Regardless of what you use be prepared for a steep learning curve. I used to spend about 5x the length of the video to edit it, now I am down to about 3x or so. 6) be keenly aware of camera movement! Try and keep your arm as steady as possible and in rhythm with your movement, otherwise motion sickness will occur. 7) shoot your talking clips in short little bursts (20-40 seconds) stop and then restart the next clip. It helps to figure out what you want to say and helps with #2. 8) everybody loves gear, food and camp footage! 9) I always try and show some kind of movement between spots and talking. It takes away from the "time warp" clips of "I am here" next clip "I am now here".... and 10) include temperature, time and a bit of map if you can.It helps to set the stage a bit...and a bonus #11) make the film and videos to tell your story and what you like and do not get frustrated with views, likes and subscribers, do it for you.

I am by no means an expert nor do I have as successful a channel as others but this is what I have learned during the past year of starting my channel as well as what I look for when selecting a channel. I hope this helps!

Also, the best part is, for me, when I am old and in a rocking chair with cob webs from my nose to my knees, probably a lill drool on my chin, I can say to my grand or great grand kids...old gramps used to get out and live his life that he loved!

Best wishes,

Rob
...and Wind, its a killer.....X click

RangerZ
06-12-2015, 16:49
DO something, then tell us about it.

Kentuckyhiker18
06-12-2015, 17:38
I do not have a YouTube channel now, but I too am thinking of starting one. I have made a few videos in the past using iMovie, and I highly recommend it. It is really easy to use once you figure out how to use it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southeast
06-12-2015, 22:13
If you are using a PC, I recommend downloading the trial version of some of the top video editing software and try it out. You will get first hand experience how you like the program, and it will give you an idea if your computer has the umph.

Traveler
06-13-2015, 06:45

+1 Amen...

gbolt
06-13-2015, 09:20
Rob,

Where did you find instructions on IMovie? I have it downloaded on computer, phone, and Ipad but don't even know where to start in order to splice together two video clips. I have posted one video about Peter Vacco Headnets but it was shot in one setting and no editing. I like (love) your vids as well as OutLan and don't plan on channels that great. I just really want to add my twist on gear purchased (after watching many a video) that will point out one or two nuancess that I had never recognized. My Thru Hike is still 4-5 years away... so have time to decide how I want to handle that. Red Beard did such an awesome job, not sure much more needs to be done. Although, I am enjoying Gator Miller this year. Thanks for your Channel and the discussions on here.

12trysomething
06-13-2015, 10:24
Rob,

Where did you find instructions on IMovie? I have it downloaded on computer, phone, and Ipad but don't even know where to start in order to splice together two video clips. I have posted one video about Peter Vacco Headnets but it was shot in one setting and no editing. I like (love) your vids as well as OutLan and don't plan on channels that great. I just really want to add my twist on gear purchased (after watching many a video) that will point out one or two nuancess that I had never recognized. My Thru Hike is still 4-5 years away... so have time to decide how I want to handle that. Red Beard did such an awesome job, not sure much more needs to be done. Although, I am enjoying Gator Miller this year. Thanks for your Channel and the discussions on here.

By nature I am a bit of a dabbler so initially I just jumped in with some footage and started to "play" with iMovie. After a bit of that I went to YouTube and found a few "How To" videos that were useful. Also, over on Hammock Forums, I started a similar type of post where much good advice was passed on from those with more experience that me. I hope this helps.

I have watched Gator a bit as well, he is a trip to say the least.

Be well,

Rob

4eyedbuzzard
06-14-2015, 08:23

+1 Amen...

Okay, glad to hear it isn't just me who has been thinking that.

Bronk
06-14-2015, 09:30
Another thing you want to keep in mind...I have a high def camera, so when I went to upload my first video Youtube was telling me that it was going to take 1968 minutes to upload...which was totally out of the question. I was able to download a program called handbrake which allowed me to compress the video and upload it in just a few minutes without sacrificing video quality.

12trysomething
06-14-2015, 09:48
Another thing you want to keep in mind...I have a high def camera, so when I went to upload my first video Youtube was telling me that it was going to take 1968 minutes to upload...which was totally out of the question. I was able to download a program called handbrake which allowed me to compress the video and upload it in just a few minutes without sacrificing video quality.

Wow! Thanks for this tip!

Bronk
06-14-2015, 13:37
Oh, and that "creator studio" on Youtube is nothing more than statistics on your videos and account settings...you can't actually edit videos on the website.