PDA

View Full Version : it is illegal to sleep with food in your ten.

rickb
06-11-2015, 18:19
In the White Mountain National Forest, anyway.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5275812.pdf

Lone Wolf
06-11-2015, 18:22
for car camping campgrounds

rickb
06-11-2015, 18:27
for car camping campgrounds

Nope. It applies to all National Forest Lands. Scroll to page 4 of the directive.

Edit: all WHITE Mountain National Forest lands.

Lyle
06-11-2015, 18:35
"Except while being prepared and consumed, all food, food containers and refuse shallbe stored in a closed motor vehicle or suspended at least ten (10) feet above the surfaceof the ground and not less than four (4) feet horizontally from any object. Bear boxes,bear canisters, or bear fences designed specifically for food and/or refuse storage areacceptable. (36 CFR 261.58(cc))"

Going to make it kinda tough to backpack. Guess they want you to swing tree to tree, or carry a bear canister. Why don't they just say that? Typical bureaucratic BS.

4eyedbuzzard
06-11-2015, 18:44
"Except while being prepared and consumed, all food, food containers and refuse shallbe stored in a closed motor vehicle or suspended at least ten (10) feet above the surfaceof the ground and not less than four (4) feet horizontally from any object. Bear boxes,bear canisters, or bear fences designed specifically for food and/or refuse storage areacceptable. (36 CFR 261.58(cc))"

Going to make it kinda tough to backpack. Guess they want you to swing tree to tree, or carry a bear canister. Why don't they just say that? Typical bureaucratic BS.Actually the Order starts with the words "ORDER OF THE FOREST SUPERVISOR REGULATING THE POSSESSIONAND STORAGE OF FOOD WHILE CAMPING"

So, you don't have to swing from tree to tree or jump from cairn to cairn. ;)

BirdBrain
06-11-2015, 18:46
God I hope no one seeks a clarification of this. Nothing good can come from it.

4eyedbuzzard
06-11-2015, 18:48
God I hope no one seeks a clarification of this. Nothing good can come from it.Feel free to delete me if it becomes necessary :eek: :D

BirdBrain
06-11-2015, 18:50
Feel free to delete me if it becomes necessary :eek: :D

I won't..... as long as you don't double post.

BirdBrain
06-11-2015, 18:50
Feel free to delete me if it becomes necessary :eek: :D

I won't..... as long as you don't double post.

4eyedbuzzard
06-11-2015, 18:51
Well played.

Del Q
06-11-2015, 19:38
That was kind of funny, from an online perspective

MuddyWaters
06-11-2015, 20:28
God I hope no one seeks a clarification of this. Nothing good can come from it.

Does not appear to be anything unclear about it.
Hang food properly or use a bear can or a bear box if provided, in the applicable areas
Since may 2009

BirdBrain
06-11-2015, 20:37
Does not appear to be anything unclear about it.
Hang food properly or use a bear can or a bear box if provided, in the applicable areas
Since may 2009

It was a joke that played off a silly debate that I causd in another thread. I think a few people got it. :D

Dredd
06-11-2015, 22:32
It was a joke that played off a silly debate that I causd in another thread. I think a few people got it. :D
What about alcohol stoves? Do we need to hang those as well?....lol

BirdBrain
06-11-2015, 22:45
What about alcohol stoves? Do we need to hang those as well?....lol

There is no safe way to hang them. The only way to keep them safe is to sleep with them.

BirdBrain
06-11-2015, 22:45
Why does this stupid phone keep double posting? :(

rocketsocks
06-12-2015, 00:32
One quick way to clear all this up fast.

rocketsocks
06-12-2015, 00:33
One quick way to clear all this up, fast.
Sorry, forgot the comma.:D

Connie
06-12-2015, 01:20
I think the National Parks have a ticket and a fine for not using the provision for keeping food from bears.

My only direct experience is a state park. There were large food lock-boxes.

Hangfire
06-12-2015, 02:23
It seemed to me that there were ample bear boxes in the Whites, and as someone who never slept with my food I don't recall any issues. I can say that at the Liberty Springs campsite where I had to race to set up my tent (hammering the stakes into those platform gaps) before a big rainstorm rolled through I made a rare exception and popped open a can of pringles inside of my tent as I waited out the rain and in less than 30 minutes I had 2 rats crawling up the screen looking for a way in. Needless to say it scared the heck out of me as I had to play handball with the bastards to clear my tent screen, and the second the rain stopped all of my food stuffs were rushed over to the bear box. For some reason it seems that the rodents get more active when it's raining, and many a high dollar tent (with food stowed inside) suffered the consequences.