PDA

View Full Version : Quarter Way Inn - New Hostel at VA 610

AkaMirage
06-11-2015, 21:55
Haven't posted here in a while, but I felt compelled to come tell the community about a new hostel in western Virginia at the VA 610 crossing (just after the NOBO quarter way mark at Tilson Gap).

My fiancé, "Romeo", and I had planned a 6-day section from Settler's Museum to VA 611, and after an unfortunate few nights of hammocking in thunderstorms ("we surely won't need under quilts since its summertime" - oh well, we live, we learn.), decided to bail after Knot Maul Branch Shelter. This decision found us needing an impromptu shuttle, which we were having trouble finding. We had remembered hearing a few thrus talk about "that new hostel on 610", so we decided to try for that since it was only 4-4.5 miles back south.

Tina, one of the owners and a 2009 SOBO thru-hiker, graciously agreed to shuttle us back to our car last minute. We hung out at the Quarter Way Inn for an hour and a half or so, just soaking in the sunshine and views of Walker Mountain on the front porch of the early 1900's brick home. Tina gave us the grand tour of her place, and it was just lovely. Granted, I have not been to too many hostels in my day, but her bunk room is the cleanest I've seen. This in addition to a huge kitchen/dining room with views of Chestnut Ridge, a movie room, and all the amenities expected at a hiker hostel, made it seem just a great place to spend a day - we were actually kind of upset we decided not to stay!

Would definitely recommend a stop there if you're interested in good company and a good night's sleep!

If you're NOBO, go left on VA 610 about 3/4 mile to get there, and look for the HUGE Sycamore tree.

Mountain Wildman
06-11-2015, 22:42
Good to know.
Thanks!!

Singto
06-12-2015, 04:07
Noted on my spreadsheet. Thanks!

rocketsocks
06-12-2015, 07:48
I like the name...1/4 way inn. that's funny.

LuckyMan
06-12-2015, 10:58
Thanks for the info - plan to hike from Davenport north in the fall and will probably resupply an stay here