PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands section

10-K
06-12-2015, 15:05
My wife and I just got back from hiking Fox Creek south to Damascus. I'd only hiked this section once before, about 6 years ago, and forgot how nice it was. I can see why people really like this area.

We camped at Thomas Knob shelter the first night and under Trestle #37 where the AT (south) goes back into the woods from the Creeper Trail the 2nd night. Woke up this morning and strolled into Damascus on the Creeper Trail. It was a most enjoyable 2.5 days and the first quality time I've had with my with my wife since thru hiker season ended and shuttling has slowed down.

At the moment the trail from Fox Creek to Trestle 37 (where we got off the AT) is in great shape. Quite a lot of water except at Lost Mountain Shelter - the piped spring is running slower than a drip coffee maker - took about 10 minutes to fill a 48 oz container.

hikernutcasey
06-12-2015, 15:45
Good to hear 10-K. I'm taking my son and nephew for an overnight at Grayson Highlands a week from Saturday. Love that section. My first night on the trail was at Thomas Knob. That entire area is special.

Mr. Bumpy
06-12-2015, 19:35
I can't say enough positive about using the Iron Mt trail and AT loop. From Bear Tree Campground it is around 50 miles.

Lone Wolf
06-12-2015, 20:04
it sucks livin' here but i guess i'll drag my butt up there mid-august at the height of blueberry season, pick tons of berries, make blueberry pancakes and slather them with local syrup and a side of local sausage

Namtrag
06-12-2015, 20:40
it sucks livin' here but i guess i'll drag my butt up there mid-august at the height of blueberry season, pick tons of berries, make blueberry pancakes and slather them with local syrup and a side of local sausage

I feel your pain.

10-K
06-12-2015, 21:13
I can't say enough positive about using the Iron Mt trail and AT loop. From Bear Tree Campground it is around 50 miles.

I've hiked that loop too. Really nice hike - the Iron Mt. trail SOBO out of Damascus is some strenuous hiking, let me tell you.

The Solemates
06-12-2015, 21:53
one of our favorite parts of the AT. done this section dozens of times and cant get enough!

grizzlyadam
06-12-2015, 22:24
I've probably hiked the stretch between Damascus and Fox Creek close to 70 times over the years using any variation of trails between the AT, Iron Mountain, and Creeper Trail. Can't get enough of it. I'll leave a bike at Fox Creek, drive to Damascus, hike back to Fox Creek, and ride my bike back to town via roads and the Creeper Trail.

Dogwood
06-13-2015, 02:17
I like that itinerary Grizz.

hiking@40
06-13-2015, 04:34
Is that about a 40 mile section? I am thinking of doing that this fall with my son.

Alleghanian Orogeny
06-13-2015, 06:01
Sorry we missed you, 10K. My wife's cycling team (with me along) did the VCT from Whitetop Gap to Damascus yesterday afternoon. Got rained on a little but it was a fine day nonetheless.

We'll be looking for you in Montana next month but will likely be gone before you reach the Lemhi Pass to Red Rock Pass section we'll be car camping along the MT side of.

Day-hiking near Grandfather Mtn today, including a piece of the MST.

AO

bigcranky
06-13-2015, 10:53
I think it's 42 miles from Fox Creek to Damascus. It makes a nice three day hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lone Wolf
06-13-2015, 13:56
I think it's 42 miles from Fox Creek to Damascus. It makes a nice three day hike.

40.7 :).........

hiking@40
06-13-2015, 23:28
ok thanks for info.

Tipi Walter
06-14-2015, 15:46
I spent 40 days (on two trips) backpacking that area (from Highway 16 NRA down to Mt Rogers Trail near Grindstone campground) and it's wide open for backpackers to camp nearly anywhere and avoid the AT shelters if they want. There are hundreds of campsites in the Crest Zone.

I like camping on Wilburn Ridge and had many a windy night between Massie Gap and Rhododendron Gap.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Tipi-Walter-In-Mt-Rogers/i-JJt3Hdn/0/M/TRIP%20123%20174-M.jpg
There are 4 main hills on Wilburn Ridge and this is the gap between hill 2 and hill 3---a very windy place. I call it Grandmother Gap. This is the AT also cutting across the ridge. I like to camp to the right of the AT in this pic.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/Tipi-Walter-Grayson-Highlands/i-PBzRDXx/0/S/Grayson-Highlands-1-2012-060-S.jpg
My campsite in Grandmother Gap.

July
06-14-2015, 20:13
I spent 40 days (on two trips) backpacking that area (from Highway 16 NRA down to Mt Rogers Trail near Grindstone campground) and it's wide open for backpackers to camp nearly anywhere and avoid the AT shelters if they want. There are hundreds of campsites in the Crest Zone.

I like camping on Wilburn Ridge and had many a windy night between Massie Gap and Rhododendron Gap.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Tipi-Walter-In-Mt-Rogers/i-JJt3Hdn/0/M/TRIP%20123%20174-M.jpg
There are 4 main hills on Wilburn Ridge and this is the gap between hill 2 and hill 3---a very windy place. I call it Grandmother Gap. This is the AT also cutting across the ridge. I like to camp to the right of the AT in this pic.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/Tipi-Walter-Grayson-Highlands/i-PBzRDXx/0/S/Grayson-Highlands-1-2012-060-S.jpg
My campsite in Grandmother Gap.

Dang nice campsite TiPi, gotta love Wilburn Ridge, note: http://www.southernstates.com/articles/the-wild-ponies-of-mount-rogers-virginia.aspx

Tuckahoe
06-15-2015, 19:03
14.5 hours till I hit the road for a hike from Massie Gap to Damascus.

Only 31 miles over the course of the hike, but this time I am bringing along one of our youth volunteers from work, a 15 year old who will be out for his first hiking trip ever. Just finished going over his food and gear and packed it up. He has worked hard to get grades up to go. He is excited and his mom is happy and excited for him.

And got an appointment for a shuttle for tomorrow about 4:banana

Lone Wolf
06-15-2015, 19:06
i'll be there

K2 Travels
06-15-2015, 19:53
For those of you with experience on both the AT section into Damascus and the Creeper Trail which would you recommend and why?

bigcranky
06-15-2015, 20:39
The Creeper is nice - goes through a lovely gorge, very pleasant. Except on summer weekends when it's packed with cyclists.

bigcranky
06-15-2015, 20:40
i'll be there

I sent you a PM about a shuttle in two weeks, did you get it?

Tuckahoe
06-20-2015, 09:19
For those of you with experience on both the AT section into Damascus and the Creeper Trail which would you recommend and why?

The Creeper is nice - goes through a lovely gorge, very pleasant. Except on summer weekends when it's packed with cyclists.

I've just returned from the area, and having done both the AT and the Creeper trail into Damascus, I would have to recommend finishing on the Creeper trail hands down. After hiking Grayson Highlands to Lost Mt Shelter, I find the section of the AT from the Hassinger Bridge to Saunder Shelter then Damascus anticlimactic. The stroll along the Creeper Iis peaceful and relaxing. And as Bigcranky said, you are walking along the Whitetop Laurel Creek gorge, with the trail winding back and forth over the river as they parallel each other. You'll cross over 20+ bridges and there are dozens of beautiful campsites along the way as well.

Lone Wolf
06-20-2015, 12:01
I sent you a PM about a shuttle in two weeks, did you get it?

what day, time and place?

Tuckahoe
06-20-2015, 12:14
LW, thank you for the shuttle on Tuesday. It was greatly appreciated!

live4thehike
06-20-2015, 21:55
Hey Tuckahoe,
My son and I are driving in next week to o this trip. I was planning on parking in Damascus and getting a shuttle to Massie Gap then hike back to Damascus using the creeper trail. Is it easy to get water throughout? Thanks

10-K
06-20-2015, 21:59
You'll pass several creeks close to where the AT intersects the Creeper Trail about 11ish miles out of Damascus. Get water before you get on the CT... I don't think I'd want to drink water (even filtered) out of the big creek that the CT follows. I hate to think of the runoff that gets in there.

Tuckahoe
06-20-2015, 22:29
Hey Tuckahoe,
My son and I are driving in next week to o this trip. I was planning on parking in Damascus and getting a shuttle to Massie Gap then hike back to Damascus using the creeper trail. Is it easy to get water throughout? Thanks

It is absolutely easy to get water throughout that area.

You will find water at Thomas Knob, about 100 yards behind the shelter (3 miles from Massie Gap)

About half way between Thomas Knob and Elk Garden, there is water at Deep Gap. Also between Thomas Knob and Elk Garden, there are a number of springs that cut the trail that flow strong or weak depending on recent rain. And then between Elk Garden and Whitetop there are two springs that cut the trail about 2/3 of the way to the top

At the top of Whitetop, about 150 yards from the Forest Service parking lot is a strong piped spring (about 8 miles from Thomas Knob)

Between Beech Mt Road and Summit Cut, there are a couple strong springs, plus Star Branch when you cross Rt 58. (About 5 miles from Whitetop).

At Lost Mountain Shelter there is a piped source about 100 yards behind the shelter. (About a mile from Summit Cut)

Then the 2 miles between Lost Mountain Shelter and the Hassinger Bridge there are a couple springs again cutting the trail.

We camped at a site near the Hassinger Bridge and took water from Whitetop Laurel Creek.

This time I only carried 56 fl oz in two 20oz bottles and a 16 oz bottle.

hiking@40
06-21-2015, 08:24
Generally how is the weather Fox Creek to Damascus in October? I'm a flat lander from Illinois, so not familiar with the area. Originally planned to do this section in July, but got put on hold. Thanks for any advice.

Old Crock
06-21-2015, 08:33
Curious about cell phone coverage around Fox Creek. Will be hiking north from Damascus to Fox Creek and would like to alert our ride if we finish early. Unfortunately I am handicapped with Sprint. Thanks!

bigcranky
06-21-2015, 12:01
October weather is generally fantastic. It can get down into the 30s some nights, but it's still very pleasant. Fall in the South is generally sunny and not too hot. (Just watch the forecast for any late season tropical weather patterns -- unusual but can bring very heavy rain.)

Fox Creek is down in a narrow valley, I'd be shocked if my Verizon phone worked there. You might get service from the top of the ridge on either side as you hike. Might. Very spotty in that area.

Tuckahoe
06-21-2015, 12:09
Also here is the Grayson Highlands "weather station" -- http://www.graysonfriends.org/pages/ww.html

You can check current and past weather conditions and keep up with trends. One thing about the weather there is that it can change very quickly and be very local.

Old Crock
06-22-2015, 11:29
Thanks, bigcranky, for the heads up on cell phone coverage. May decide to hike the section southbound. However, how relatively safe is the parking around Fox Creek (off of 603)?

bigcranky
06-22-2015, 13:03
I have parked there many times without incident. Several years ago there were some problems at area trailheads (SUVs being stolen), pretty sure 603 was one of them, but I haven't heard of anything since. Of course, that doesn't guarantee you'll be safe.... :)

Wuff
06-23-2015, 13:06
LW -

Might you be interested in shuttling me from Damascus to Fox Creek on July 2nd? I'll PM you.

JumpMaster Blaster
06-23-2015, 21:30

Note to self- plan a trip mid-August and yogi some breakfast from some kind soul in Damascus. :cool:

JumpMaster Blaster
06-23-2015, 21:33
Question- how well maintained is the IMT? Will a lot of bushwhacking be required mid-late summer? I read that it was originally the AT route a while back.

10-K
06-23-2015, 21:40
Question- how well maintained is the IMT? Will a lot of bushwhacking be required mid-late summer? I read that it was originally the AT route a while back.

The IMT north of Damascus is as nice as the AT. The IMT south of Damascus has a much wilder feel than the northern half. The trail is in rougher shape, no shelters, there is very little water, and hiking it SOBO there is a lot of elevation gain/loss. It's not so bad hiking the southern half NOBO.

I'm guessing the northern section stays in better shape because of the shelters and the various loops/alternates you can make with the AT.

jjtrindc
09-24-2015, 11:00
Anyone know if you can still pay to overnight park at Grindstone without getting a site?

Rmcpeak
09-24-2015, 19:27
I parked at Grindstone with no site in July. $3/day I think. Nice hot shower too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk