PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone extended a section hike?

TwoForty
11-16-2005, 20:27
I am planning a 10-12 day trip for the summer. I'd like to do a short hike since I am new to the AT, but I could easily see myself extending it to 20 or even 30 days if I am feeling froggy.

Has anyone ever done this?

Tramper Al
11-16-2005, 21:02
I am planning a 10-12 day trip for the summer. I'd like to do a short hike since I am new to the AT, but I could easily see myself extending it to 20 or even 30 days if I am feeling froggy.

Nope, not me. The whole deal when I hike a section of trail is that I have a limited time to be away from home. Now sometimes I finish early and go hike some nearby peaks before heading home. But it's difficult to hike more oneway trail miles once I have shuttled (by ride, bicycle or float plane) and then hiked back to my car. And it's difficult to extend the time if I've budgeted all my available time for the section already.

Sounds fun it you can do it, though!

TwoForty
11-16-2005, 21:21
Luckily I have the time and I can always hire a shuttle. I can just see myself wanting to go on.

I've got nothing better to do this summer. :sun

neo
11-16-2005, 22:22

you might as well start in the south,i section hiked from amicola falls in ga
to damascus va from may till dec in 2001,i did 8 hikes that varied from 1 week to over nite:cool: neo

Lilred
11-16-2005, 22:37
I did that last summer. I'm a teacher so I have lots of time. Planned to go out for four weeks and ended up doing five. This year I plan on doing the month of June, but if I feel like it, I'll keep on truckin into July.

weary
11-16-2005, 22:39
I hiked off and on in 1993 with four or five kids, including a 19-year-old homeless girl, who had planned a week on the trail, but kept going all the way to Harpers Ferry before leaving for summer jobs.

One offered to slack me in New Jersey -- and did -- though I cancelled a second day of slackpacking after discovering that his car was neither insured nor registered.

Weary

Moxie00
11-16-2005, 23:03
I could easily see myself extending it to 20 or even 30 days if I am feeling froggy.

Has anyone ever done this?[/quote]
Yes they have. When I thru hiked in 2000 my brother climbed Springer with me just to see me off at the summit where the AT actually started. At the summit the very first person I met was a 67 year old hiker with the trail name "View Seeker". He got his trail name hiking The Long Trail in Vermont and was going to just hike a few days on the AT and then get a ride back to Springer to pick up his car and then go home to his wife in Ct. We spent the first night together at The Hawk Mountain shelter. The next day he saw four bears and was given the AT trail name "Four Bears". He made alot of friends, fit in wonderfully with the thru hikers and was out there at least a month or more. When we got to Ct. there were notes left for us in shelters and we got hold of "Four Bears" for some wonderful trail magic and he did hike with some of us in CT. And Mass. The last time I heard from him was when he showed up on the Long Trail in Vt. For a guy that only came out for a couple of days he was a huge part of many of our thru hikes in 2000. There is a wonderful lifestyle that is addicting to many hikers and "Four Bears" caught it and fit right in. I think if his wife hadn't been expecting him in Ct. he would have made it all the way to Katahdin, And it was only going to be a couple of days on the trail when he started.:)

TwoForty
11-16-2005, 23:18
he would have made it all the way to Katahdin, And it was only going to be a couple of days on the trail when he started.:)

That sounds pretty cool.

I would just try a thru, but I have to work until the end of May.

Almost There
11-16-2005, 23:50
Being a teacher I plan on hiking all of June, but I'm headed north, did the June thing down south this year, hate the heat and humidity!!!

Blue Jay
11-17-2005, 07:37

Yes, once I went out for a few days in Mass. and ended up almost making it to Tenn. on a binge hike. When you'ra a hikaholic, you can't take even one day or you're off the wagon. No matter how long you're off of the hiking shoes, you're never cured.

Tractor
11-17-2005, 09:24
I was feeling froggy, this past two week section hike, and felt like hiking on out of Daleville but home/family/work were waiting for me. Little did i know that my wife would let me know about an upcoming divorce event on the day of my return. That event has just passed so next year there will be one less thing to think about if i feel froggy :)

kyhipo
11-17-2005, 09:49
i started hiking in 99 on the AT after seeing a national geographic article at home,pair of overalls on and hiked over 1,ooo plus miles didnt have a clue :eek: ky

Doctari
11-18-2005, 00:26
I did once. Was planning on stopping at fontana Damn (yes, I know the diference in spelling) as that was were my truck was parked. However I met someone who was willing to drive me to newfound gap, & back, so I followed him there, dropped the truck, & got to hike another 35ish miles. Still had time, but no way to get transport as I had just enough money to get home, sigh.

Doctari.

Rain Man
11-18-2005, 00:50

Last year my daughter, Grass, intended to hike from Springer to Harpers Ferry, but along the way she made such good friends and had such a good time that she extended it to Katahdin!

Rain:sunMan

HarleyHogPit
11-18-2005, 10:49
Luckily I have the time and I can always hire a shuttle. I can just see myself wanting to go on.

I've got nothing better to do this summer. :sun

If you have the time I would go for it. I haven't done any long distance hiking either but I'm gonna go for it. If you don't have anything better to do this summer this is the best time to try. If you don't go for it now you may never have the time again.