PDA

View Full Version : 20mile hike in GSMNP

kenp
06-13-2015, 07:52
I'll be in the Gatlinburg area for a few days, and I want to squeeze in an overnight hike in the smokies. I'm thinking about 2x10mile days and an overnight. Any great hikes that fit the bill?

Maybe starting at Newfound gap and ending at Gatlinburg, perhaps, but I'm open to other suggestions.

HooKooDooKu
06-13-2015, 17:23
If you can handle some serious hills, there's a couple of ways to make a loop out of Forney Ridge and Forney Creek

If you want New Found Gap towards Gatlinburg, you could hike the AT to Clingman's Dome, back track to Mount Collins shelter, then Sugarland Mtn to either the Laural Falls parking or Husky Gap along Hwy 441.

I would suggest AT/Boulevard to Mt LeConte and Rainbow Falls and Old Sugarland Trail to get you back to the visitors center, but LeConte Shelter is currently closed due to bear activity.

While not quite the distance you are looking.for, an over night loop can be made of walking up Gregory Ridge/Bald trails to CS13 (my favorite) and finish the loop hiking down Gregory Bald and Parsons Branch Road. The lack of distance will be made up with time driving Cades Cove.

TNhiker
06-13-2015, 21:12
if you have a shuttle and want to stay in the vicinity of gatlinburg-------check out old settlers trail........do that end to end........

tons of history along that trail.......

ATL Backpacker
06-17-2015, 16:06
Maybe starting at Newfound gap and ending at Gatlinburg, perhaps, but I'm open to other suggestions.

I like HooKoo's suggestion of AT, Blvd, Rainbow, and Sugarlands. I think it's fairly easy to find a taxi to take you up to Newfound Gap. Not sure when your trip is but I think most campsite/shelter closings only last a few weeks???? Seems like it's been closed a few weeks already.

TNhiker
06-17-2015, 16:12
I think it's fairly easy to find a taxi to take you up to Newfound Gap.

thats also an easy hitch, fwiw...............

TNhiker
06-17-2015, 16:13
Not sure when your trip is but I think most campsite/shelter closings only last a few weeks????

there's not really a time limit for how long closings last............

it really depends upon the activity of the bear that is in that area............

HooKooDooKu
06-17-2015, 17:45
...I think it's fairly easy to find a taxi to take you up to Newfound Gap...
While there might be others, the shuttle services I've used around Gatlinburg area include:
A Walk In The Woods (http://www.awalkinthewoods.com/pages/wd_shuttle.htm), and
AAA Hiker Service (http://www.aaahikerservice.com/)