PDA

View Full Version : Free standing tent for a tall guy

bigdboots
06-13-2015, 14:19
Looking for a freestanding, 2 person tent for myself as I am 6'3"….. any ideas? Trying to stay under 3 lbs without spending more than $350. If I was going non-free standing it would be a Light Heart Gear SoLong6 but I am thinking a free standing would be better.

Any help is appreciated or feedback on a tent from a fellow non-vertcally challenged person who hates waking up to wet feet.

~Eric

Offshore
06-13-2015, 15:14
I'm 6'2" and had the same issue last year - and it didn't help that manufacturers play games with stated dimensions (I'm looking towards Colorado Springs...). I found the Marmot Pulsar 1P and 2P work for me due to the way the pole kicks out the foot end of the tent. The 2P is almost a vertical end wall. They've been discontinued and I don't know if its replacement has the same pole geometry, but the Pulsars are available around the web on clearance. I'd also look into what replaced them to see if the setup is similar. REI is doing something similar with the end wall of their new Quarterdome 2 tent and they claim a length of 90". The new designs are nice. It may be worth a trip over to East Hanover to set one up and try it out.

bogeygaff
06-13-2015, 17:22
I'm also 6'3" and I went with the North Face Triarch 2. Inside Length is 84 inches and works great for me.

Franco
06-13-2015, 18:36
If you use trekking poles , the Tarptent Rainbow (34oz) can be freestanding apart from the vestibule that still needs to be guyed out .Takes a 77"x25" mat.
(many "freestanding tents need several stakes once you put the fly on them...)
If you want more space again you can get the double wall Double Moment (good up to 7') with the optional external X pole at 60oz all up.
Both fast and easy to set up and set up "dry" (fly first)
franco@tarptent

Kentuckyhiker18
06-14-2015, 13:57
If you use trekking poles, I would definitely look at the Tarptent Squall 2. I'm a little over 6'3 and I have lots of room for my gear and I don't touch the walls at the head or foot ends. My scale has it weighing at 2.5 lbs and it's under $300. Definitely recommend it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentuckyhiker18
06-14-2015, 13:59
[QUOTE=Kentuckyhiker18;1978283]If you use trekking poles, I would definitely look at the Tarptent Squall 2. I'm a little over 6'3 and I have lots of room for my gear and I don't touch the walls at the head or foot ends. My scale has it weighing at 2.5 lbs and it's under $300. Definitely recommend it

Only downside is that it's not freestanding

atmilkman
06-14-2015, 22:44
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. Freestanding, under 3lbs. under $350. I'm 6'6" everything comes inside with me with plenty of room.

illabelle
06-15-2015, 06:08
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. Freestanding, under 3lbs. under $350. I'm 6'6" everything comes inside with me with plenty of room.

We carry the UL3 (for two people). Husband is 6'4". Good tent.

sfdoc
06-15-2015, 06:39
Copper Spur UL2's & 3's are on sale at several online outfitters.

Venchka
06-15-2015, 08:26
[QUOTE=Kentuckyhiker18;1978283]If you use trekking poles, I would definitely look at the Tarptent Squall 2. I'm a little over 6'3 and I have lots of room for my gear and I don't touch the walls at the head or foot ends. My scale has it weighing at 2.5 lbs and it's under $300. Definitely recommend it

Only downside is that it's not freestanding

The big UPSIDE of most of the TarpTents: As Franco pointed out, they set up in one piece (inner connected to outer) and the interior stays dry if it is raining. I am also shopping for a tent with room for a NeoAir Xtherm Large and WM Alpinlite long & wide bag. The Rainbow and Solong 6 have the largest floors that I have found and still be lightweight. I'm leaning toward the Rainbow because I also will use whatever tent I buy for bike touring.
I used to think that a freestanding tent was the end all to beat all. Not too sure anymore. Keeping the inside dry, where I will be soon after setting it up, is a big plus in areas where it rains often and rains for days at a time. Like the AT in Tennessee and North Carolina.
Freestanding tents need to anchored. Otherwise, they become free flying tents. A lesson I learned the hard way.

Wayne

Namtrag
06-15-2015, 09:09
Tarptent Stratospire 1 would be a great choice for a tall guy.

We have a Stratospire 2, and we honestly have never had any trouble due to it not being freestanding. And like Venchka said, it's nice being able to set it up in the rain without getting the inside wet.

mankind117
06-15-2015, 15:43
I'm 6'6", the best freestanding tents for the tall I have found are the Evolution and Revolution 2 person tents from Big Sky. Both come in at about 3 pounds.

bigdboots
06-15-2015, 16:31
I appreciate everyones feedback, I should have said this earlier I am doing 100 Mile Wilderness this August and tis is my main intention for the tent.

for those with the various recommendations for the various TarpTents, my fear is the low 4inch bath tub.... What are your thoughts for those woth one? Any water ever get in from this?

Namtrag
06-15-2015, 16:45
We were in our Stratospire 2 for 18 straight hours near the Thomas Knob Shelter during a near tropical storm last fall, and we were bone dry the entire time. By the way, I am not sure in all Tarp Tents, but in ours, you can raise or lower the clipping point of the inner to make the bathtub floor higher or lower.

Franco
06-15-2015, 19:06
Chances are that if you have water running under the tent floor, the tent was pitched in the wrong spot.