PDA

View Full Version : Contacts or glasses

patches01
06-13-2015, 23:53
Hey guys I have pretty awful vision, do you think I should bring contacts or glasses going SOBO? If so, is there anything specific that I should be careful about?

As of now I'm planning on bringing month-long contacts, and some good soap.

Roll tide
Henry

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Fredt4
06-14-2015, 00:39
Contacts, monthly disposable. Glasses as backup, depending on your individual situation. I just had contacts and replacements with prescription.

HooKooDooKu
06-14-2015, 01:21
Glasses fog up and sweat drops on to them. I use contacts when I hike but pack an old pair of glasses as a backup.

Traveler
06-14-2015, 06:27
This falls under the "if there is a doubt, there is no doubt" rule. What happens if you lose or run out of contact lenses or develop a problem in your eye(s) that won't allow you to wear them (dust, pollen, irritation, etc)? If you are unable to see well without corrected vision, glasses are good insurance.

Hikes in Rain
06-14-2015, 07:52
Since you're used to contacts, no reason not to wear them in the woods, too. You'd mentioned bringing your glasses as backup; spot on. I'm more comfortable without my pants than without contacts. (I know, way too much information, but like you I'm essentially blind without them.) In addition to the soap, I also bring a wash basin made from the bottom half of a gallon jug. Almost weightless, and since my cooking set fits inside it, no additional space. It's also useful for drawing water from a slow source. Also bring a small pack towel reserved just for the eyes. Tiny mirror in case a lens gets displaced or something gets in my eye.

MuddyWaters
06-14-2015, 09:46
I have no problem with glasses at all.
I consider them the least trouble.

jbwood5
06-14-2015, 09:55
Contacts are a nuisance because you are in such an unclean environment. I could never get my fingers clean enough to remove and re-insert them. You'll need to pack a bottle of saline solution and a few spare sets of replacements.

TwoSpirits
06-14-2015, 10:15
I wear glasses and those can be a nuisance too -- frequently fogging up, and in an all-day rain I wish I had little windshield wipers. But I know that it's just one of those things I have to live with if I want to be hiking. One lesson I did learn though was NOT to wear bifocals! I found those to be an almost dangerous hinderence (for me) as I was picking my way through the rocks and roots of Maine. Now I have a pair of single-vision "trekking" glasses.

Sent from...wait, where am I again?

The Splitter
06-14-2015, 10:25
I hate both. So most of the time I don't wear either anymore. I'd say if I had to pick though I'd probably go back to glasses. My vision isn't that bad so I get by fine without anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hikes in Rain
06-14-2015, 17:13
Wearing contacts is just a matter of washing your hands. Hopefully, you're doing that anyway! I've been wearing them for 45 years; I can't imagine doing without them. My vision is horrible; glasses sort of correct them (with the loss of peripheral vision). Contacts are the first thing I put on in the morning, the last thing I take off at night. I've had about every type ever made; currently, I have single day wear multi focal lenses (no need for my reading glasses). Fortunately, technology has stayed one step ahead of my deteriorating vision!

patches01
06-14-2015, 19:20
Thanks for all the replies! There seems to be a consensus that contacts are a necessary evil, which is what I expected to begin with. Oh well maybe surgical repair is in my future.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

WMR
06-14-2015, 19:44
My son and I are section hikers, both very near-sighted contact wearers and glasses at bed time. We went back and forth on this but have settled on contacts + spare pair + glasses for the tent at night. Decision for spare pair came after my son's contacts froze one night. Decision to carry glasses came much later but after we were stealth camping alone one night and had to listen to bear playing piñata with our gear for a few hours. I decided on the spot that I wanted to be able to see what was going on outside the tent in the middle of the night without having to put in contacts. A few extra ounces but worth the trouble. BTW the bear got nada, we were well hung.

Rocket Jones
06-15-2015, 11:10
I only wear glasses, and recommend a set of Croakies glasses lanyards, and Cat Crap (yeah, that's the product name) to minimize lens fogging. Both work well.

Bluegrass
06-15-2015, 13:39
I was really blind without corrective lenses (20/400+), which meant without contacts or glasses I would probably not be able to get myself off the trail safely.

I did my SOBO attempt with glasses. There were definite times they were annoying (rain conditions, especially). I have done quite a bit of backpacking with contacts as well, and that is almost more annoying. At that point I was carrying saline, the case, and my glasses. Keeping my hands clean to insert/remove was always a hassle.

One consideration for contacts on a thru-hike: Being able to wear sunglasses. I certainly wish I had been able to wear sunglasses, especially above treeline in Maine and New Hampshire.

I finally got LASIK and have been really pleased. Now all I take backpacking is a cheap pair of sunglasses.

Traveler
06-15-2015, 15:53
I was really blind without corrective lenses (20/400+), which meant without contacts or glasses I would probably not be able to get myself off the trail safely.

I did my SOBO attempt with glasses. There were definite times they were annoying (rain conditions, especially). I have done quite a bit of backpacking with contacts as well, and that is almost more annoying. At that point I was carrying saline, the case, and my glasses. Keeping my hands clean to insert/remove was always a hassle.

One consideration for contacts on a thru-hike: Being able to wear sunglasses. I certainly wish I had been able to wear sunglasses, especially above treeline in Maine and New Hampshire.

I finally got LASIK and have been really pleased. Now all I take backpacking is a cheap pair of sunglasses.

I have both Rx glasses and sunglasses, when I am wearing one pair, the other is in the crush resistant case. When you aren't able to see well, the added weight of a few grams for a pair of glasses can make all the difference.

Wülfgang
06-16-2015, 12:02
I am legally blind without my contacts. Something like 20/500.

I HATE glasses. You lose peripheral vision, they get dirty, and get in the way. With my contacts I am 20/15.

I just bring daily disposables when I hike. It's simpler than bringing cleaning solution and a case, and it actually saves a bit of weight, believe it or not (Yes, I weighed both).

Astro
06-17-2015, 15:48
Glasses (less hassle).

danstretch
06-22-2015, 22:12
Agree with the daily contacts approach. Used on my thru-hike and definitely a good way to go. A little more expensive than monthly but worth it for short-term. Given weight and unclean environment. Bring glasses too for backup and getting out of the tent in the middle of the night.

Another Kevin
06-23-2015, 14:26
I've always been a poor risk for contacts. I second the suggestion of a Croakies lanyard and a tin of Cat Crap.

Also, if you hike in winter Up North, ESS Striker goggles are the only ones I've found so far that work over my glasses. You need to use a good facemask or they will frost over, but that's true of any goggles.

Dugout
06-23-2015, 15:28
I've been a contact user for close to 25 years now and have always hated the process of taking them out each night, cleaning them and putting them back in each morning. I tried daily lenses, but I could not stand them. If for whatever reason I fell asleep with them in, I would literally have to peel my eyes open to get them out. I now wear the monthly day and night contacts your are thinking of and have never had an issue with them. Wear for a month - toss them out and throw in a new pair - good for another month. I don't have issues with them drying out and if I do anything, its just a few re-wetting drops or Visine etc. when my eyes tell me they need it. Do be careful in the AM however after waking, they do dry out a tad, and if you rub your eyes when you wake up like I do, they are prone to tearing or working themselves out of your eye. Carry an extra set for sure! Good Luck!

new2hiking
06-23-2015, 23:37
I've been going back and forth about this myself. I've used both exclusively in the past and each time been annoyed with one thing or another. Glasses - rain (a light mist is almost worse), getting them dirty, I even broke a pair once on trail. Thank goodness I had a tiny tiny tube of gorilla glue with me. Fixed them right up. Contacts - same problems everyone else have already stated.
Thinking about trying the monthlies this time. I really want to wear sunglasses this go around and not worry about them being an expensive Rx pair.

TwoSpirits
06-24-2015, 06:39
I've always been a poor risk for contacts. I second the suggestion of a Croakies lanyard and a tin of Cat Crap.

Also, if you hike in winter Up North, ESS Striker goggles are the only ones I've found so far that work over my glasses. You need to use a good facemask or they will frost over, but that's true of any goggles.
Curious: what brand facemask do you use/recommend?

Sent from...wait, where am I again?

starbuck1
07-30-2015, 16:50
This is a great thread and a question I have been meaning to ask myself. I'm so blind that without my contacts or glasses I would think a bear is a tree and try to stealth camp under it. Both options suck, but I plan on not changing anything I already do during my hike(s) - disposable contacts during the day and glasses at night, with an updated prescription in hand in case something goes awry. I'm glad someone asked this question! Thank you!

Another Kevin
07-30-2015, 18:21
Curious: what brand facemask do you use/recommend?

That's a really good question. I haven't yet tried one that I really like, so mostly I use a cheap Neoprene mask from the job lot store. Some friends who are much better mountaineers than I am have recommended the Talus ColdAvenger (http://coldavenger.com/products/coldavenger-classic-fleece) to me. I might pick one up before the snow comes so that I can give it a try. Their chief complaint about it is that it constantly drips water out the front.

handlebar
07-31-2015, 00:18
What Dugout said above is what I have done for over 10,000 trail miles: tha night and day brand, with rewetting drops when I awaken and before sleeping. Plus I do carry backup glasses.

Cobble
07-31-2015, 00:29
I did glasses for the AT and a lot of times it is a huge pain. Normally I wear contacts but I don't stay clean on the trail so never did contacts. With PCT coming up I really need good sunglasses which either means contacts or I get LASIK. Scraping together money for a thru hike is hard enough without LASIK too.

My very invaluable opinion is if you stay clean enough to do contacts that's a great option, but I'd sock a pair of glasses for around camp, as a backup, and for when your eyes don't want contacts. (Mine get irritated after prolonged contact wearing)

Moosling
07-31-2015, 07:11
I bring glasses if I'm doing a multiple day hike, its just kinda annoying to fiddle around with putting my contacts in in a dimly lit tent, plus I've had an eye infection before and I'd like to never get another one.

I've had no problem with my glasses fogging up even in high humidity.

I'm not opposed to contacts I wear them everyday at work because I'm constantly in and out of walkin coolers kept at 20 degrees (wanna talk more about glasses fogging up?)

Latitude918
08-01-2015, 21:46
Bring both. What happens if you lose or tear a contact, get an eye infection where you can't wear your contacts, or one of your contacts gets super gunky and you just can't wear them anymore? Also what are you going to do at night? If you wake up in the middle of the night needing to use the privy, you're going to need your glasses, if your vision is as bad as you say it is.

I'm a lightweight backpacker, and I always bring both, and some spare contacts, when I go out on a trip.

time4change
08-02-2015, 20:04
I'm having the same issue as you. I'm about a -7.0 in my contacts (which is horrible eyesight). I'm bringing my glasses as back up, but I'm going to talk to my eye dr. about switching me from daily disposables to the Air Optix Day & Night contacts that you can sleep in. I'll plan to take them out a couple times a week, especially if I'm in town at a hostel.

frontovik193
09-10-2015, 10:47
Glasses for sure. You trade having foggy lenses in some situations for the simplicity of not having to deal with contacts. I have mediocre vision though. During the day, I can go without them unless I'm driving or just want to get the most out of a nice view. At night I really need them. I have a pair of normal plastic frame glasses but am about to upgrade to some heavy duty prescription sports goggles. Make sure you have a backup either in your bag or at home that someone can send to you (on a longer hike). I would also recommend a hard glasses case for when you are not wearing them. I crushed a pair of glasses by falling on while they were in my pocket.

gsingjane
09-10-2015, 13:16
I tried many different vision options too. What works best for me are daily disposables with glasses for backup. I have been on the trail with someone who had an eye infection and it was brutal. This way if I did feel something coming on, I could get the contacts out of my eyes before bad led to worse (hopefully) but I also don't have to deal with the hassle of my glasses falling off my face. Plus I feel like I do have better, sharper vision with my contacts.

Jane in CT

JustaTouron
09-10-2015, 15:08
As with any gear ask yourself what would be the worse that would happen if you didn't bring it.

If my reading glasses broke I would have a hard time reading some of the writing on the map. But being I don't hike alone if my glasses broke someone else could handle navigating. I don't bring a spare set of glasses.

However, if my vision was such that I would have a hard time walking because everything was blurry. I would have a backup plan. And if I was hiking solo, I would probably bring spare set of reading glasses.

perrypt2
10-14-2015, 16:43
I used to be very near sighted and used contacts and glasses. Had Lasix over 15 years ago and have never looked back. No need for contact or glasses. One concern is your vision in twilight isn't as sharp. You may also need sunglasses. Prices have come WAY down since. So if you can afford it and you are a good candidate, check it out.

Lnj
10-14-2015, 17:16
I used to be very near sighted and used contacts and glasses. Had Lasix over 15 years ago and have never looked back. No need for contact or glasses. One concern is your vision in twilight isn't as sharp. You may also need sunglasses. Prices have come WAY down since. So if you can afford it and you are a good candidate, check it out.

+1 I got my first pair of glasses in 10th grade. Nearsighted at -2.8 & -3.5. Pretty bad. I had Lasik surgery about 11 or so years ago and if anything I could use computer glasses now at the end of the day from staring at this box all day long, but my sight is fine and I need nothing, ever. Its really worth the investment and the recovery time is zilch. Had surgery on Friday morning and could see clearly when I woke up Friday afternoon. By Monday I was back to work like nothing ever happened.