PDA

View Full Version : Hammock camping in early July. What does a hammock camper need to stay warm?

awlawl
06-14-2015, 23:05
In the beginning of July I will be doing my first backpacking trip with my hammock. I know all about my options for top quilt, under quilt etc thanks to Shug, but what will I really need that time of year?
I don't have a light weight sleeping bag or under quilt. I'm sure there are some really nice ultralight options, but I am already stretching my budget on some other items on the trip. If I have to buy something, i'd prefer to keep things cheap.
What kind of temperatures and wind do I have to be ready for? I don't have the plan set yet, but it would most likely be something in the twenty mile trail area (camps 13, 95, 92 and 113).

Suggestions? Thanks.

Mr. Bumpy
06-15-2015, 09:47
This is a great bag for the money. If you look around you can get them for less. http://www.amazon.com/Military-Outdoor-Clothing-Previously-Repellent/dp/B00GCHKTLA/ref=sr_1_8?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1434375832&sr=1-8&keywords=military+sleeping+bag+30+degree

imscotty
06-15-2015, 09:56
When you have the funds I suggest buy a top and under quilt rated for 20 degrees. With that you would be able to stay comfortable over most of three-seasons.

For a summer hike in the Smokies where the evening temps typically won't go below 50 degrees (depending on elevation), you could probably get by with a 3/4 foam pad underneath, and a warm heavy blanket over the top. You can use your backpack stuffed with cloths for a little extra insulation under your legs and feet. I'd suggest you try this at home first, but given your location you probably won't have a chance to test this in cooler temperatures. Be prepared to walk out if the temperatures turn unseasonable.Different people have different comfort levels.

awlawl
06-15-2015, 11:17
This is a great bag for the money. If you look around you can get them for less. http://www.amazon.com/Military-Outdoor-Clothing-Previously-Repellent/dp/B00GCHKTLA/ref=sr_1_8?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1434375832&sr=1-8&keywords=military+sleeping+bag+30+degree

That really is a good price. And it is lightweight as well.

Mr. Bumpy
06-15-2015, 12:16
It is all the summer bag that you will, need plus a little bit more. Get a foam pad to go with it then if you were on the ground or in a shelter you'd be set. Or get two, remove the zippers and DIY yourself up a over/under quilt set up.

Rain Man
06-15-2015, 12:27
You don't say where you plan to hike and camp, but I'll repeat something the old timers are probably getting tired of me saying: The coldest night I ever spent on a hike was a July or August night on Standing Indian Mountain, NC, near the Georgia border, on the Appalachian Trail. And, ... I wasn't even hanging in the air, but was on the ground.

At elevation, a summer night can turn out terribly cold with a strong mountain wind blowing fog/cloud right through an unprepared (it's summer, what do I have to worry about?) hiker like me that night.

Sure, summers are typically warmer than winters, but likewise altitude is typically colder than lowlands, and cold, wet winds under clear night skies are colder than summer afternoons.

All to say don't be fooled, as I was. I always take my 20-degree UQ into the mountains now. Have not had a repeat of that sleepless night.

But the adage is: Hike Your Own Hike.

I only share my experience because you asked.

Dredd
06-15-2015, 13:28
This is what I used in July in NC/TN, no pad or underquilt. It worked out well,and was lightweight.
http://www.amazon.com/Ledge-Sports-Scorpion-Compact-Sleeping/dp/B003SS56RS

awlawl
06-15-2015, 13:30
You don't say where you plan to hike and camp, but I'll repeat something the old timers are probably getting tired of me saying: The coldest night I ever spent on a hike was a July or August night on Standing Indian Mountain, NC, near the Georgia border, on the Appalachian Trail. And, ... I wasn't even hanging in the air, but was on the ground.
I only share my experience because you asked.

Somewhere near the twenty mile trail area. Which I've now determined to be between 2000-4000 ft elevation.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

Ashepabst
06-16-2015, 14:38
definitely bring some kind of under insulation. I take a cheap-o blue foam pad during the summer months which works just fine for me down to the 50s or so.