PDA

View Full Version : Getting fit for the trail!!

BenOnAdventures
06-15-2015, 07:13
Well I'm building my fitness for hiking and of course my personal health. I've ran 3 mile already this morning and am planning on running another 7 after breakfast! What do you all do for fitness?

garlic08
06-15-2015, 07:38
Between backcountry skiing, bicycling, hiking, and trail construction, I stay pretty fit all year. To prepare for a thru hike, I try to sit on the couch for a couple of weeks and try to gain some weight!

Good luck with your regime. I started cycling fairly seriously when I was your age, and never dreamed of the payoffs I would see later in life.

Offshore
06-15-2015, 07:43
There's been a guy at my gym wearing his full pack while on an incline trainer (think of a treadmill, but capable of ~30% inclines) for the last couple of weeks. Its a huge Jansport pack that fits him terribly, but HYOH.

BenOnAdventures
06-15-2015, 07:47
Between backcountry skiing, bicycling, hiking, and trail construction, I stay pretty fit all year. To prepare for a thru hike, I try to sit on the couch for a couple of weeks and try to gain some weight!

Good luck with your regime. I started cycling fairly seriously when I was your age, and never dreamed of the payoffs I would see later in life. Thank you! And I see, that sounds like a great plan! Me being in NW Ohio I don't have a lot of hiking spots to choose from so normally my exercise involves running down back country roads or on my treadmill. Yes I figured I want to get even healthier now for short term benefits and the long term benefits as well.

BenOnAdventures
06-15-2015, 07:47
There's been a guy at my gym wearing his full pack while on an incline trainer (think of a treadmill, but capable of ~30% inclines) for the last couple of weeks. Its a huge Jansport pack that fits him terribly, but HYOH. Oh sweet that sounds awesome!

LoneStranger
06-15-2015, 07:54
Current fitness regime includes Acadia yesterday, three days in the Whites starting tomorrow and five days in BSP next week. No better way to train for a hike than going on a hike. :)

Pedaling Fool
06-15-2015, 08:03
Well I'm building my fitness for hiking and of course my personal health. I've ran 3 mile already this morning and am planning on running another 7 after breakfast! What do you all do for fitness?If you're doing that, then you are already fit enough for the trail, at least in respect to cardio.

Personally, I'm kind of against physically preparing for the trail, rather one should physically prepare for life, but I know that's probably a crazy notion to your 21-y/o mind. But as you age you realize that it sucks to get old, but there's a lot you can do to ward off the effects of aging and many of these are also good for preparing for the trail, just be careful not to give it up after the trail, like so many do.

I've come to the conclusion that there is no one exercise; however, if I were to pick one activity I'd say weight training. Because you can use weights to work every part of your body, unlike any one exercise, including hiking. It builds muscle, connective tissue and bone and at the same time you can do cardio, by simply reducing the weight or you can go the other way and build strength and explosive power -- weight training is very versatile, not just the simple curls and bench presses, which most people envision when they hear: pumping iron.

I'd recommend you include weight training into your regimen, so that you build up a strong frame, but running is good, don't stop that, but if you look at the reason why so many people get off the trail for medical reasons, it's all about knees and joints...not because of cardio. Cardio is easy to build, you can do it on the trail without any prior preparations, but you don't want to build up your frame on the trail, at least starting from zero.

Carbo
06-15-2015, 08:10
I found the best way to prep for the trail was to hike for a couple of hours a day in all weather conditions with a 30+ lb pack. Fitness is just one part of the benefit. It will give you an idea of how your feet, joints, etc., will handle the long distance pounding while carrying the extra weight. Also gives you an idea of water, food and clothing needs you'll encounter.

Traveler
06-15-2015, 08:14
Mental and emotional preparation are perhaps more important than physical conditioning.

thecyclops
06-15-2015, 08:14
Current fitness regime includes Acadia yesterday, three days in the Whites starting tomorrow and five days in BSP next week. No better way to train for a hike than going on a hike. :)
Actually thats not true,but it sounds good anyway.

BenOnAdventures
06-15-2015, 08:15
Current fitness regime includes Acadia yesterday, three days in the Whites starting tomorrow and five days in BSP next week. No better way to train for a hike than going on a hike. :) Very true!! But like i said in an earlier response, its hard to hike much in NW Ohio, i'd be hiking through corn fields! lol

BenOnAdventures
06-15-2015, 08:17
If you're doing that, then you are already fit enough for the trail, at least in respect to cardio.

Personally, I'm kind of against physically preparing for the trail, rather one should physically prepare for life, but I know that's probably a crazy notion to your 21-y/o mind. But as you age you realize that it sucks to get old, but there's a lot you can do to ward off the effects of aging and many of these are also good for preparing for the trail, just be careful not to give it up after the trail, like so many do.

I've come to the conclusion that there is no one exercise; however, if I were to pick one activity I'd say weight training. Because you can use weights to work every part of your body, unlike any one exercise, including hiking. It builds muscle, connective tissue and bone and at the same time you can do cardio, by simply reducing the weight or you can go the other way and build strength and explosive power -- weight training is very versatile, not just the simple curls and bench presses, which most people envision when they hear: pumping iron.

I'd recommend you include weight training into your regimen, so that you build up a strong frame, but running is good, don't stop that, but if you look at the reason why so many people get off the trail for medical reasons, it's all about knees and joints...not because of cardio. Cardio is easy to build, you can do it on the trail without any prior preparations, but you don't want to build up your frame on the trail, at least starting from zero. Well I'm not doing this just solely for the trail, i'm doing it for long term fitness and health overall. And also, thanks for the advice on the weight training, I already do some but not a ton, also I swim 2-4 times a week during the summer months usually.

BenOnAdventures
06-15-2015, 08:18
Mental and emotional preparation are perhaps more important than physical conditioning. Very true and I believe I am pretty strong on both of those grounds.

BenOnAdventures
06-15-2015, 08:19
I found the best way to prep for the trail was to hike for a couple of hours a day in all weather conditions with a 30+ lb pack. Fitness is just one part of the benefit. It will give you an idea of how your feet, joints, etc., will handle the long distance pounding while carrying the extra weight. Also gives you an idea of water, food and clothing needs you'll encounter. Thank you so much! Very appreciated. I'll keep that in mind and start to include something similar in my routine.

thecyclops
06-15-2015, 08:20
Burpees.tabatas,plyometrics,running,INSANITY...pre tty much anything that is super cardio intensive,to the point of puking,or wanting too,will whip you into shape and make hiking feel like a walk in the park (pun intended)
Fitness,for me at least,is a lifestyle and not something I have to get ready for.Sure I may be more fit at some times than others,but I never stop running,never stop eating right and never stop doing something,even if just a 3-4 mile walk,everland Im 38 and have been "working out"since I was 7 with my dad (come to think of it I should look better than I do HAHA)...I just,in general, try to stay in shape.

Pedaling Fool
06-15-2015, 08:24
Hiking to prepare for hiking: That's true, it is the best activity to prepare for a hike and it's a fact for every activity, because there is no one activity that will prepare your body for a chosen activity, in this case hiking the AT. It's just a fact of life.

If someone were to ask me the best way to prepare for a very long cycling trip, my recommendation would be the same, because I'm so against just doing one thing. However, no matter how much you prepare, you'll never be totally prepared for hiking, cycling (or whatever) there is no activity that will prepare you best than that activity.

You can do all the weight training/running.... but it won't prepare your feet for the rigors of hiking all day, and it won't prepare your butt for the saddle and there are other things it won't prepare you for, such as the pain we all feel when doing one activity all day (cycling, hiking, canoeing or whatever).

So in a sense those that say hiking is the best activity to prepare for a hike are correct, but there are two problems with that, 1) many of us don't have the time, and/or the location to do this. 2) For true health as you age, you really need to do more than just one activity.

When I was young I use to think, since I cycle all the time, that was all I needed for exercise. Ageing has showed me how wrong I was.

P.S. With that said, I agree that you really need to do some practice hikes as your preparation, not just physical, but to make sure you work out certain bugs.

BenOnAdventures
06-15-2015, 08:30
Burpees.tabatas,plyometrics,running,INSANITY...pre tty much anything that is super cardio intensive,to the point of puking,or wanting too,will whip you into shape and make hiking feel like a walk in the park (pun intended)
Fitness,for me at least,is a lifestyle and not something I have to get ready for.Sure I may be more fit at some times than others,but I never stop running,never stop eating right and never stop doing something,even if just a 3-4 mile walk,everland Im 38 and have been "working out"since I was 7 with my dad (come to think of it I should look better than I do HAHA)...I just,in general, try to stay in shape. Thanks! Same here, I generally have worked out/been active all of my life. And haha nice

thecyclops
06-15-2015, 08:32
[QUOTE=Pedaling Fool;1978408]Hiking to prepare for hiking: That's true, it is the best activity to prepare for a hike and it's a fact for every activity, because there is no one activity that will prepare your body for a chosen activity, in this case hiking the AT. It's just a fact of life.'

I will respectfully disagree.
Nothing the AT or hiking has shown me that can compare with some of the grueling workouts I have and currently do put my self through....Its not even close.When I go hiking or backpacking,I typically work in another workout while Im hiking,IE;I will often work in pushups and bodyweight squats during a break or snack time.
'Now Im not trying to toot my own horn here,as there are tons of folks in better shape than me on this board alone,but if someone thinks that hiking is the best way to make hiking feel easy,its just because they are ignorant of some of the TOUGH training available out there,stuff that will give you nightmares about ever wanting to come back to the gym,but makes hiking easy peasy.
I will say this,the mental side of extended days of backpacking cant be duplicated in training,that something that you get "out there",but the physical side can be replicated quite easily at home.

BenOnAdventures
06-15-2015, 08:32
Hiking to prepare for hiking: That's true, it is the best activity to prepare for a hike and it's a fact for every activity, because there is no one activity that will prepare your body for a chosen activity, in this case hiking the AT. It's just a fact of life.

If someone were to ask me the best way to prepare for a very long cycling trip, my recommendation would be the same, because I'm so against just doing one thing. However, no matter how much you prepare, you'll never be totally prepared for hiking, cycling (or whatever) there is no activity that will prepare you best than that activity.

You can do all the weight training/running.... but it won't prepare your feet for the rigors of hiking all day, and it won't prepare your butt for the saddle and there are other things it won't prepare you for, such as the pain we all feel when doing one activity all day (cycling, hiking, canoeing or whatever).

So in a sense those that say hiking is the best activity to prepare for a hike are correct, but there are two problems with that, 1) many of us don't have the time, and/or the location to do this. 2) For true health as you age, you really need to do more than just one activity.

When I was young I use to think, since I cycle all the time, that was all I needed for exercise. Ageing has showed me how wrong I was.

P.S. With that said, I agree that you really need to do some practice hikes as your preparation, not just physical, but to make sure you work out certain bugs. Yeah i definitely will workout the bugs. I also am planning on including more weights/body workouts into my training instead of just purely cardio.

LoneStranger
06-15-2015, 08:35
Everybody and every body is going to work differently. All I know is what works for me. A few years ago I made the mistake of focusing on cycling exclusively and intensively prior to hitting the trail for a week long trip. I was in excellent shape so assumed the mountains wouldn't be a problem. My cardio was primo, but the muscles that were strong on the bike were not the ones that needed to be strong on the trail.

Cross training will always be helpful but if I want to cycle I cycle, if I want to hike I hike.

Pedaling Fool
06-15-2015, 08:43
Everybody and every body is going to work differently. All I know is what works for me. A few years ago I made the mistake of focusing on cycling exclusively and intensively prior to hitting the trail for a week long trip. I was in excellent shape so assumed the mountains wouldn't be a problem. My cardio was primo, but the muscles that were strong on the bike were not the ones that needed to be strong on the trail.

Cross training will always be helpful but if I want to cycle I cycle, if I want to hike I hike.I agree. I should emphasis that my angle I always come at this issue of physically preparing for a hike is actually from the perspective of preparing for the rigors of life and ageing. There is no one activity that prepares the body for ageing.

BenOnAdventures
06-15-2015, 08:45

Cross training will always be helpful but if I want to cycle I cycle, if I want to hike I hike.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

thecyclops
06-15-2015, 08:49

Well thanks for agreeing with me,as you just said it yourself "A few years ago I made the mistake of focusing on cycling exclusively and intensively prior to hitting the trail for a week long trip. I was in excellent shape so assumed the mountains wouldn't be a problem. My cardio was primo, but the muscles that were strong on the bike were not the ones that needed to be strong on the trail.

EXACTLY-Now if you had been incorporating squats,tabata drills,running,core work,plyometric workout,general strength routine or just some kind of an all around fitness routine to effectively exhaust/push all of your muscles on a regular basis,you would not have had that problem.

I never said running was better for hiking than hiking,or cycling is better for hiking than hiking. I said there are better ways (much in fact) of preparing for a hike than actually hiking and that is the truth.

Offshore
06-15-2015, 08:52
As people have said, I think the best prep for an hiking is hiking while progressively going longer, heavier, and steeper. But for the gym, I think cardio for endurance and strength training, particularly core training, are equally as important.

Namtrag
06-15-2015, 09:07
It sucks living in Va Beach because there are no hills.

I do agree with people that weight training is important. I used to lift a lot more than I do know, and we started backpacking in that time period, and it was so much easier when I was lifting than now.

If you concentrate on deadlifts, squats, bench, and shoulder presses, you will be pleased with the effect on your backpacking.

illabelle
06-15-2015, 09:17
Sometimes we just climb the stairs. :)
This weekend we did the Chimney Tops trail in the Smokies. Hadn't been there in quite a while. We knew it had been partially closed for rehabilitation. My thanks and admiration to the trail crew: I counted the stair steps on the way down - over 600!

q-tip
06-15-2015, 09:19
I have been using Clyde Soles program found in "Climbing:Training For Peak Performance". Superior 3 month strength, cardio program.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/asset.php?fid=21404&uid=20935&d=1374841887

BenOnAdventures
06-15-2015, 09:42
I love hearing from everybody! So many great opinions and advice!

rudekoolaid
06-15-2015, 10:47
I have never been on an overnight hike. Guess you could say I'm very new to all this. I am worried I'm not in shape enough to do it. We do hike 4/5 hour hikes in the mountains of east Tn and bike sometimes up to 54 miles on never level terrain.

kameyosekmoon
06-15-2015, 10:54
I bike for transportation (so that's daily exercise). I run five miles ever day and between 10-14 on Sundays, I hike up then down Stone Mountain (1,686 feet of essentially stone) three times a week and I go for a 10 miles (sometimes a bit longer) hike with pack once a week. My focus is on my core/legs, I personally don't lift weights because for me all the leg movement is helping with my core and arms.

Another Kevin
06-15-2015, 11:30
I oughtn't to barge in on this discussion, because I'm a slightly-out-of-shape old man and a ridiculously slow hiker. But I can't resist dipping an oar in.

You don't have to be a world-class athlete to hike the Trail. Or even to have a good time doing it. Pace yourself and it'll whip you into as good shape as you need.

In fact, as a clueless weekender and occasional short-sectioner, I have a vast amount of experience with coming from the couch to the trail. The one thing that I've found is key to my "training," such as it is, is that I carry a backpack - with a couple of water bottles, a heavy laptop computer and its brick-like power supply, and a few books, so that it weighs more than my weekend pack does - for a couple of miles a day. Every single day. Whatever the weather, and here Up North the weather can be capricious. However I'm feeling, and some mornings, it's hard to resist the temptation of simply jumping into the car. But that means that on a section hike, I'm already over the hump of hiking every day, in whatever conditions the trail brings.

And that's about what I can manage. I have something of a phobia about gymnasia. I'm afraid they're indelibly graven in my hindbrain as "the places where they beat you up and steal your stuff, and the grownups tell you that getting beaten up and having your stuff stolen builds character."

And I shouldn't sell myself short as a hiker. I never manage to get out enough to really build up my trail legs, but if I can take it slow, I go anywhere. I've done Northeast 4k's in winter, 40-mile roadless sections with no shorter way out than the trail, routes with extended Class 4 rock scrambling, and multiday bushwhacks. Any of which is harder than anything you'll hit on an A-T hike in the warmer months.

So as much as cross-training helps (and it unquestionably does), it is possible to train for the trail by getting on the trail and doing it, but pacing yourself.

Starchild
06-15-2015, 11:41
Physically I was fairly well set as I hike often but:

Lost some weight before the trip, no need to carry around extra pounds and weight is weight, if on one's back on inside one's body. I don't understand the idea of trying to gain weight before the trip unless one starts very underweight. It does no good preventing wasting muscle mass, that is lack of dietary protein, not fat.

Mentally/emotionally:

1 - Go on as many group backpacks as I can find from various hiking/backpacking groups and clubs. Leaning what equipment is out there and what may or may not work for me and gain great comfort and confidence in my gear and what I can do.

Shutterbug
06-15-2015, 12:35
Well I'm building my fitness for hiking and of course my personal health. I've ran 3 mile already this morning and am planning on running another 7 after breakfast! What do you all do for fitness?

One needs some "high intensity" training. My cardiologist says that most people doing "cardio" exercise at the same level for long periods but never do really intense exercise. He recommend "High Intensity Interval Training." I have been doing it for more than a year and it has really made a positive difference.

I do three sessions a week on a recumbent bike. I do four minutes of warm up then 8 intervals. Each interval is 30 seconds of all out effort -- pedaling as fast as I can, then 90 seconds of less intense. The entire session takes only 20 minutes.

In addition to the HIIT, I walk 12,000 steps a day and do about 30 minutes of weight training.

At age 71, am still hiking as much as I ever did.

CarlZ993
06-15-2015, 13:19
My current year-round exercise routine = 5 X week running (3-4M on 'regular days' & 10M for a long run) and 2 X week weight training. If I've got a backpacking trip coming up, I'll add a hike w/ my backpack (around 8M) at least once a week, sometimes more. I'll also do some short backpack trips to condition for the longer ones.

My advice to you is to maintain your regimen of fitness throughout your life. It'll be good for your body as well as your head. Great stress reliever. As you get older, there will be other time constraints (work &/or family obligations) that will vie for your time. So, your workouts may become shorter & less frequent. Just keep 'em up.

Good luck in your adventures.

Wyoming
06-15-2015, 15:41
Ben

Well lots of advise as usual (often contradictory as is also usual lol).

But I did not see anyone ask you what your hiking goals are. The answer to this question will go a long ways towards focusing the advice to help you the most.

Are you planning on a hike like the AT or PCT? Or just a week trip, or multi-day trips. Do you have desires/requirements to hike fast and/or high daily miles? What kind of experience do you have. How soon are you going on your hike.

Depending on your answers to these questions you would naturally come up with different training regimes.

For instance I am getting ready to do the Arizona Trail this Sept. I have been hiking about 35 miles a week and swimming 5-6 miles a week (this is my base weekly exercise for many years now). I am just starting the process of dialing back the swimming and increasing the hiking. As I do this I will steadily increase the weight I hike with up to the point where I am carrying about 45 lbs. Not that I intend to carry that much but so that when I do the big hills in training I build my legs up more. I also frequently wear much heavier hiking shoes when training than I use on the actual hike to also build the legs up. These two things also really add to the intensity of training when on the hills and build the cardio way up. I will peak my training at about 70 miles a week and two weeks before I leave I plan on a 100 mile week. I am sort of a training fanatic so you might not be interested in such. Plus I have lots of mountains and high altitude to work out at (I live at 5800 ft and have easy access to much higher terrain) which you do not. But the stair stepper in the gym with a heavy pack works pretty well also.

Hope this helps with thinking about what to do.

jdc5294
06-15-2015, 15:45
Your first month on the trail is what gets you in shape for the trail. You can't really devote enough time to exercise in a normal day to day life with work and such to make the start of the trail any less painful. Also, as a runner I can say when I finished the trail I was in god awful running shape. Running fitness doesn't correlate to hiking fitness. Just go hike the trail.

Wyoming
06-15-2015, 17:00
Your first month on the trail is what gets you in shape for the trail. You can't really devote enough time to exercise in a normal day to day life with work and such to make the start of the trail any less painful. Also, as a runner I can say when I finished the trail I was in god awful running shape. Running fitness doesn't correlate to hiking fitness. Just go hike the trail.

Well unless you are hiker trash like the many of us who don't work :) But many folks actually do have enough extra hours a day to get pretty close to full hiking shape if they dedicate themselves to do it. But I agree that for long distance hiking by far the best thing to do is put a pack on and hike as much as possible in conditions as close to what you will experience.

It is only if you have the requirement to go fast and far right from the start that you must arrive in complete hiking condition. And you can only get that from hiking with a pack long enough to get in full condition.

Training even for the speed hikes would also be different between the 'supported' version and the 'self-supported' version. For the supported it would be more like running training, and for self-supported more like a combination of running and hiking training due to the requirement to carry much heavier loads. The Joey guy trying to set the PCT self-supported record trained on lots of hills carrying substantial weight, while the Scott guy trying to set the AT supported record is an ultra-marathoner and presumably just kept to his regular training.

Bronk
06-15-2015, 19:38
Pretend your thruhike doesn't start until you get to Fontana Dam, then plan a 3 to 4 week training hike from Springer to Fontana Dam.

MuddyWaters
06-15-2015, 20:36
The trail, is just a path in the woods. It has been hiked by people of all ages and physical abilities.

YOU determine how hard YOUR experience is, by the weight you carry, and the pace you hike.

FlyFishNut
06-15-2015, 20:43
My two cents: VARY your workouts. Strength, Cardio (pushing your HR to max training levels) and Endurance.

I go to a UFC (fight style - heavy bag work, etc) gym that really jacks my HR up for hour classes. Even the recovery phases are "active".

Lift: Build muscle. I like circuits for an hour with an emphasis on certain body parts. I also will lift heavy for 4-6 weeks straight to break up months of circuits, or if I want to build some extra mass.

Run - prefer trail running b/c it works your stabilizers and it isn't boring. I don't like car fumes either, plus running hills makes you stronger. 3-5mi x2 per week with a long run thrown in.

Mt Biking - great cardio and fun. Less impact as well.

Make it challenging and fun. Everyone here loves being outdoors - so pick some workouts you look forward to and not something you dread doing.

Good Luck!!

Pedaling Fool
06-15-2015, 22:00
One needs some "high intensity" training. My cardiologist says that most people doing "cardio" exercise at the same level for long periods but never do really intense exercise. He recommend "High Intensity Interval Training." I have been doing it for more than a year and it has really made a positive difference.Your cardiologist will be happy to know that I agree with him 100%:D;)

The nice thing about the AT is that you set a really nice aerobic foundation, by doing long days (day after day) of relatively easy cardio, especially once you get your legs, most hikers rarely get close to the "red zone", actually most don't even get close to their lactate threshold once they get their legs, in other words they plateau and don't improve anymore, when actually there is so much more left to improve on, WRT cardio conditioning.

However, when you add in HIIT to your training, you go into the red as well as work at your lactate threshold. This type of training takes you to a whole new cardio level and it allows you to work much longer when you are in the simple aerobic levels, such as when hiking. And you also recover much faster when you are forced into the red, say on a very difficult climb and that recovery can be done very easily while still walking, as opposed to most people who have to stop and rest after going into the red.

P.S. Technically weight training is anaerobic, i.e. meaning you are in your cardio red zone. However, it's not the same as doing separate cardio training that is designed to get you into your red zone and your lactate threshold; training such as speed work, tempo runs (or cycling...), etc...

ChrisJackson
06-16-2015, 07:03
Agree with both of you (Shutterbug & Pedaling Fool) regarding high intensity efforts. Without them, fitness levels can plateau. It's good to push your body well out of it's comfort zone. Last climb of the day? Floor it to the top!

Another Kevin
06-16-2015, 09:07
The nice thing about the AT is that you set a really nice aerobic foundation, by doing long days (day after day) of relatively easy cardio, especially once you get your legs, most hikers rarely get close to the "red zone", actually most don't even get close to their lactate threshold once they get their legs, in other words they plateau and don't improve anymore, when actually there is so much more left to improve on, WRT cardio conditioning.

This sounds like someone who never did Moosilauke SOBO. ;)

In any case, [puts on rural New Hampshire accent] ain't nothin' says you can't walk a tad fastah!

Your heart doesn't care which muscle group you're exercising. (Of course there are other benefits to exercising the other muscles.)

jdx1177
06-16-2015, 09:20

Amen brother. This was my introduction to white Mountain backpacking. Kicked my out of shape butt.

Pedaling Fool
06-16-2015, 09:21

I've only done it NOBO, will have to give it a try SOBO one day:)

4eyedbuzzard
06-16-2015, 09:33

Amen brother. This was my introduction to white Mountain backpacking. Kicked my out of shape butt.

I've only done it NOBO, will have to give it a try SOBO one day:)Yeah, but realistically it will pretty much kick anyone's butt from either direction unless they're in good (hiking) shape.

Another Kevin
06-18-2015, 10:03
Yeah, but realistically it will pretty much kick anyone's butt from either direction unless they're in good (hiking) shape.

It kicked mine, the first time I did it, and I was doing it sideways. Up Gorge Brook, down the carriage road. And I honestly don't remember whether we circled back on the Snapper ski trail or the Hurricane Mountain trail. After forty years it all runs together. I guess it was SOBO from the main summit to the south peak, but the rest was definitely sideways.

Pedaling Fool
06-18-2015, 10:07
Pretty good article on the myths of running, but my pet peeve is myth number four.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kayla-matthews/beginning-runners-7-myths_b_7520818.html

Excerpt:

4. Myth: Running Is Bad for Your Knees

Competitor.com says there isn't sufficient data from scientific studies that proves running hurts the knee joints. Running may not be the ideal kind of exercise for you, or the one you most prefer, but there's no need to fear that running will set you up for aching knees later on.

Coffee
06-18-2015, 10:13
I have always found it easy to train for hiking by running 30-40 miles per week and training for competitive events, usually marathons. This keeps me in great cardiovascular shape and enables an easy transition to the demands of lightweight backpacking. I feel like I have my "trail legs" pretty quickly - within a week or so - simply by being in good cardiovascular condition prior to the hike. I've never done much "training" with my full pack since I live in an urban area and don't have a car for easy access to real trails.

What I have always found VERY difficult is the transition from multi-week backpacking trips back to running. I'm currently transitioning back to running and having a hard time of it even though I believe that I'm probably in the best shape of my life overall. I'm slow, the muscles used for running seem sore after a run, and my left heel is bothering me quite a bit. I know from past experience that this will go away in time (under a month) but it is always annoying. I like to run marathons in the fall (usually late October-early November) and it is pretty hard to be fully trained for a fall marathon and also plan on mid-late summer backpacking trips. This year I've done most of the backpacking for the year already so I'm going to be in full marathon training mode all summer. Short backpacking trips like over a weekend don't seem to impact my running all that much.

Another Kevin
06-18-2015, 11:05

Competitor.com says there isn't sufficient data from scientific studies that proves running hurts the knee joints. Running may not be the ideal kind of exercise for you, or the one you most prefer, but there's no need to fear that running will set you up for aching knees later on.

They're your knees. I know that I have a preëxisting knee injury that running definitely does aggravate. But these are my knees.

Traveler
06-18-2015, 14:38
Pretty good article on the myths of running, but my pet peeve is myth number four.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kayla-matthews/beginning-runners-7-myths_b_7520818.html

Excerpt:

That kind of goes against what I have heard from a couple of orthopedic MDs over the years. My knees may be different than the young beginning runners that read a website that promotes running. A competing website, Livestrong.com says this about running and knee injuries,

"Running is a high-impact sport in which no runner is immune to injury. Runners typically develop knee problems for two reasons: impact and overuse. Ross Tucker, author of "The Runner's Body," explains that "each time your foot makes contact with the ground, forces equaling two to four times your body weight travel upward through your lower leg, knee, thigh, hip and pelvis, and into your spine." This repetitive motion puts a great deal of stress on the body. He goes on to say that "the impact forces from running do not equally disrupt all the tissues they pass through. Instead, damage is concentrated in areas of greater susceptibility." In many people, especially in women, the knees are very susceptible to injury.

A myth for one may be reality for another, it really depends on the injuries that accumulate. I would agree in principle that running in and of itself doesn't harm knees, its the injuries resulting from the running activity and hard surfaces/over use that are more the culprits.

Coffee
06-18-2015, 15:04
I strongly recommend "Born to Run" for anyone who loves to run but limits mileage or has given it up entirely due to injury or fear of injury. That book was a total game changer for me. I used to get injured running very low weekly mileage. After I read Born to Run I ramped up to 40-50 mile/week training schedules and have run six marathons and a few shorter distance races at good times for my age bracket. And I've been mostly injury free as well on my nearly 42 year old body...

Eamonn
06-18-2015, 16:09
i have spent a lot of time trying to figure out the best work out routine to better prepare myself for the 'long walk' solo, next year. My main goal is to increase my endurance and my overall strength. focusing on my feet, knees and back.

1.Run (everyday... okay maybe 6 times a week)
2.Lift (appropriately, legs, abs, arms and back)
3.Hike ( as often as possible.)

OPI
06-18-2015, 17:02
I start working out with a personal trainer once a week for the past 2 years and it's been 90% HIIT and the other 10% is lifting. (not that expensive considering all the money I spend on gear and other crap-~$35/session) He also mixes in bunch of core exercises (which is key). I also started running a little bit. And now I started trail running and can easily do 10 mile trail runs. Great way to visit the local parks and rec areas. 2 years ago I couldn't run a 100 yards. Lost 35 lbs. I can hike faster, longer, see more, three's no pain in the body when waking, I have more energy, stamina and confidence when hiking. I'm sold! I also changed my diet too!

You know what I really like about this exercise stuff. Is that the little things become much easier too. Like crawling into your tent, squatting to cook dinner, scrambling up that rocky peak, putting on your shoes and socks, putting on your pack and even taking a dump in the woods is even easier!

I would highly recommend getting trainer to get started. You pay money for the work outs, you probably wont miss them. Also they will teach you the correct way to work out, how to stretch and eat. Plus the Mrs Opi likes it to

OPI
06-18-2015, 17:08
I should also add that these are 30 minute work outs and that 30 minutes is harder then hiking any mountain in the Virginia Highlands

Pedaling Fool
06-18-2015, 19:42
That kind of goes against what I have heard from a couple of orthopedic MDs over the years. My knees may be different than the young beginning runners that read a website that promotes running. A competing website, Livestrong.com says this about running and knee injuries,

"Running is a high-impact sport in which no runner is immune to injury. Runners typically develop knee problems for two reasons: impact and overuse. Ross Tucker, author of "The Runner's Body," explains that "each time your foot makes contact with the ground, forces equaling two to four times your body weight travel upward through your lower leg, knee, thigh, hip and pelvis, and into your spine." This repetitive motion puts a great deal of stress on the body. He goes on to say that "the impact forces from running do not equally disrupt all the tissues they pass through. Instead, damage is concentrated in areas of greater susceptibility." In many people, especially in women, the knees are very susceptible to injury.

A myth for one may be reality for another, it really depends on the injuries that accumulate. I would agree in principle that running in and of itself doesn't harm knees, its the injuries resulting from the running activity and hard surfaces/over use that are more the culprits.
Yes, I'm sure it goes against many orthopedic MDs, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. Just like we were told from our doctors that saturated fat causes heart disease, but now that thinking is changing http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/17/study-questions-fat-and-heart-disease-link/

However, just like the saturated fat issue there will be people that just won't accept the new information, because they've been hearing the opposite for years, hence the phrase: "If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth". Of course these were not lies, more like old wives' tales, but nevertheless the effect is the same in that they were repeated and repeated...and then they became "fact".

After all, we were born to run (meaning our bodies evolved to take that pounding) and that is why we are one of the best endurance runners in the Animal Kingdom -- that doesn't happen by accident.

As far as the high-impact issue as noted on the Livestrong website, that's very true, but so is hiking, especially downhill (with a pack). But do we say that hiking in the mountains is bad for the knees?

As for running, it's best to work up to it, simply because most of us don't get enough exercise (including hikers -- that's why so many are fat). That is why there are many walk/run programs and programs that emphasize starting out slowly and progressing slowly, i.e. not doing too much too soon -- not because it's bad for you, rather because you've been a fat lazy lard ass all your life. (When I say you/you've/your, I really mean we/we've/our):D

Another thing about training for running is that you learn to be lighter on landing and not push off, rather spring off. Much like a kangaroo or gazelle, because that's how our muscles and tendons work, like a spring. http://www.pilatestonic.com/2013/how-are-you-like-a-kangaroo/

Excerpt:

What Do Humans and Kangaroos Have In Common?

"A kangaroo’s muscles aren’t large enough to give it the power to jump the height and distance that it does. This baffled scientists and led them to explore what gave kangaroos their jumping power. If it wasn’t powerful musculature propelling these animals forward, what was it?

They discovered a spring-like action responsible for the kangaroo’s unique jumping ability. The tendons and fascia in its legs is tensioned like an elastic band and stores energy. When that energy is released it springs it forward into those amazing jumps. This is called elastic recoil.

Soon after the discovery in kangaroos, the same discovery was found in gazelles and similarly in… drumroll please… humans.

In my mind, I see the elastic recoil like these toy cars my son plays with. You place the car on the floor and pull it backwards so the wheels wind up. When you let the car go, it flies across the floor.

The elastic recoil plays a part in how we walk, run and jump. It also keeps us light on our feet. Moving with light, quiet footsteps is a good sign of walking, or running elastically. Heavy or loud footsteps is a sign of walking or moving more muscularly.

More muscular movement requires a lot more energy and isn’t nearly as efficient or sustainable as moving elastically."

The people that get into trouble are the people that start out too fast or the runners that have been at it a while and get too caught up in goals, thereby working thru injuries that later become much more serious -- because running feels good:)

I think too many people get too wrapped up in these number of pounds exerted while running (but also in hiking), but it's not a big deal if you build your body up for it and you can do it late in life (I started running at ~43 y/o).

There are a lot of non-running sources of information out there that shows running does not cause knee problems.

Good Sources: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/why-runners-dont-get-knee-arthritis/?_r=0

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/runners-are-not-giving-themselves-arthritis/2013/08/12/2cca7a96-fdde-11e2-9711-3708310f6f4d_story.html

This one has a good audio link you can listen to: http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees

P.S. Some people can't run, I understand that, either because of injury in life or some other defect. However, the vast majority of people who say they can't run are wrong. That's just a fact -- truth is a bitch for us fat lazy lard asses.;)

Malto
06-18-2015, 21:08

Absolutely false. You can very easily get into trail shape with a daily hour long workout and one weekend day hiking. Do agree with the limited help from running, unless it is trail running. Some of the best fitness I have done was trail running on the GA AT. That will get you ready for any hiking.

MuddyWaters
06-19-2015, 00:10
I run, do cardio, and lift weights routinely.
I have never had issues not being in decent hiking shape.
I also carry a reasonably light pack, and hike decent mileage days in strenuous terrain.
I do get in even better shape after a week or two.

sbhikes
06-19-2015, 12:42

I've been hiking for decades. A couple years ago I took up heavy lifting. I'm a middle-aged lady and I'm able to squat to parallel with 200lbs. I just keep incrementally adding more weight so I'm always lifting heavier than before. If I take a week off for full recovery before a backpack trip, I find that even the High Sierra passes at high altitude feel like nothing to me now. I've never felt so powerful. This is way better than running.

Back on the trail
06-19-2015, 13:07
"Ben" you are more than fit enough for the trail as it is if your doing what you say regularly. My only thoughts would be to take your shoes off and walk around barefoot as much as possible. Build up your strong skin on your feet. Put your pack on your back and get used to 30 lbs extra weight.

illabelle
06-19-2015, 13:18
I've been hiking for decades. A couple years ago I took up heavy lifting. I'm a middle-aged lady and I'm able to squat to parallel with 200lbs. I just keep incrementally adding more weight so I'm always lifting heavier than before. If I take a week off for full recovery before a backpack trip, I find that even the High Sierra passes at high altitude feel like nothing to me now. I've never felt so powerful. This is way better than running.

Impressive!!

Coffee
06-19-2015, 13:27
A surprising number of hikers out there are overweight and I can't believe how many people smoke (tobacco and ... other substances). While nothing can prepare you for hiking quite like hiking, I think that much can be done to get into good cardiovascular shape. Then, with a lightweight pack, the transition to hiking is that much easier. Oh and quit smoking!