PDA

View Full Version : north ga hiking

barefooter333
06-15-2015, 09:32
looking to do a overnight trip in north ga. I hiked the at from springer to neels gap. I live in blueridge so any good ideas

ChrisJackson
06-15-2015, 09:52
looking to do a overnight trip in north ga. I hiked the at from springer to neels gap. I live in blueridge so any good ideas

Since you are so close, the Benton Mackaye Trail is the first thing that came to mind. http://www.bmta.org/

Or, Neel Gap north to Low Gap would be a nice overnight trip.

billnchristy
06-15-2015, 10:36
BMT is very nice, secluded.
Or pick up where you left off on the AT.

glenlawson
06-15-2015, 10:52
Jacks River Trail?
go to Lake Winfield Scott, take the Jarrard Gap trail up towards the AT, camp near Blood or Slaughter, then take the Slaughter Creek trail back to LWS.
Are you looking for loops or one way?
Any of the sections of the AT in GA make good overnighters. Just park you car, have someone drop you off then walk to your car.
Standing Indian Loop?
Research the Walton War and find the little jag in the boundary between GA and NC. It is well marked once you find it, but it will take a little effort.

Ashepabst
06-15-2015, 12:38
man, with all this heat I'd pick a nice river trail in Cohutta like the Jacks as glenlawson suggested. the ridges are already overgrown tangles at around 3000ft.

here's the BMT the weekend before last, up on the State Line Ridge above Bald River (there's a blaze in there somewhere):

Dogwood
06-15-2015, 16:44
I like Lawson's offer. Here are some more: Coosa Loop adding on as much as your ability allows for an overnighter. Another is getting dropped off atop Brasstown Bald, descending to the AT on the Jacks Knob Tr., camp in the nearby vicinity, hike the AT SOBO back to Neel gap.

Dogwood
06-15-2015, 16:45
I like Lawson's offer. Here are some more: Coosa Loop adding on as much as your ability allows in Vogel SP andf surrounding areas for an overnighter. Another is getting dropped off atop Brasstown Bald, descending to the AT on the Jacks Knob Tr., camp in the nearby vicinity, hike the AT SOBO back to Neel gap.