PDA

View Full Version : Alpaca wool socks

ocrcsign
06-15-2015, 19:12
Has anyone tried alpaca wool socks and how do they compare to darn tough socks or smart wool socks?

BirdBrain
06-15-2015, 20:46
I had a pair for sleeping sock. Very good warmth to weight ratio. I say I had a pair because my wife dried them in a dryer. They shrunk down to infant size. I doubt anything would compare to Darn Tough for hiking. They would make a great choice for dedicated sleeping socks though.

Dogwood
06-15-2015, 22:19
I can't tell you about alpaca socks since I've never tried them long term when backpacking. The one clean loaner pr a hiker loaned me for three days were luxurious to sleep in. I've mainly used them at home under much less rigorous conditions worn mainly during winter sleeping and around the house. My guess is as BB said - for sleeping when backpacking. I don't really don't know though as far as backpacking. There may be alpaca blends. At home luxuriously soft, non itchy(read my link), and WARM. I can tell you about the Turtle Fur 100% Alpaca beanies I've extensively used backpacking - silky soft, non itchy, WARM, not prone to absorbing dirt/sweat/grime, non stinky, even over long term use, AND with some decent water resistance(as the link states). I never totally wetted out my 100% Alpaca beanies despite wearing one under a hood or alone in light-med rain during backpacking and mountaineering adventures! Even when damp the alpaca still had a high warmth factor IMO! I washed my one Turtle Fur 100% beanie once in three yrs after extensive backpacing use. When I say wash though I always did as the link advised - I squeezed the cold water out of it when laying flat and NEVER dried it in a dryer. I always layed it flat to dry it. Never wrung or twisted it. It always came back to its original condition. This hat was shrunk to an infant's size and misshapen just as BB stated happened to him when it was mistakenly improperly washed and dried by someone attempting to do me a favor washing my hiking clothing. If you're the kind of person/hiker who attempts to wash and dry their hiking clothing to death in a hurried manner, like at town stops, or attempts those one load wonders in such a damn rush at the laundromat placing all clothing and gear together in one load on one heat setting when in town skip the alpaca, merino wool, etc.

http://blog.novica.com/how-to-clean-and-care-for-alpaca-products/

Walkintom
06-16-2015, 00:00
I've got a pair of alpaca blend socks. I almost always wear Darn Toughs and the socks with alpaca feel softer than my DTs. They are also wearing out faster than my DTs.

Otherwise, mine are of good construction and feel nice on my feet.

redcrow
06-16-2015, 22:10
I hike well in mine on day hikes and they are also real good for sleeping. As stated above don't let them hit the dryer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peakbagger
06-17-2015, 06:01
When I attended the annual Darn Tough factory sale, they did have alpaca socks in the bins. The make several high end private label brands. It was obvious that some folks went ot he sale just for those socks.

Traveler
06-17-2015, 06:43
I have used alpaca socks, but they had a high wear ratio versus Smart Wool or Darn Tough. They are very nice for casual camp use though and I take them along for sleeping and wearing around camp.

Wyoming
06-17-2015, 16:12
I've got a pair of alpaca blend socks. I almost always wear Darn Toughs and the socks with alpaca feel softer than my DTs. They are also wearing out faster than my DTs.

Otherwise, mine are of good construction and feel nice on my feet.

My wife is a master spinner and weaver and she says the reason that alpaca wool does not wear like sheep wool is that the alpaca hair is generally very straight vice the natural crinklyness of some of the sheep wools. When you spin the wools that crinkliness creates a binding effect which can be very strong and it becomes hard to pull it apart. Since alpaca hair is pretty straight it will not resist being pulled apart very well at all. Thus when spun and woven it will not be a tough fabric.

swisscross
06-17-2015, 16:29
What about possum down socks....
How do they compare to alpaca wool for comfort, warmth and durability?

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/possum_socks.shtml

ocrcsign
06-17-2015, 17:25
Thank you every one for your input, it's been very helpful.

mak1277
06-22-2015, 11:12
I have a pair of alpaca socks but they are much too thick for me to use when hiking. Awesome sleep socks though.

Bronk
06-22-2015, 11:22
I used to date somebody who made me socks and hats and gloves...have some alpaca gloves...and yes they are hand wash only and air dry. They are soft and warm, but this material is probably not something you want to take with you on the trail.