PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for 4 Day Itinerary in August

BeatNavy
06-15-2015, 20:03
Hi Folks - new to the forum. I'm looking for recommendations for a 4 day itinerary for my son (18) and I sometime in mid to late August this year. He needs to plan it as part of a Congressional Awards program, but I want to get him started. We're both moderately experienced backpackers (both Eagle Scouts that did Philmont two years ago), and we'd like to see Maine if possible (although anywhere toward New England sounds more pleasant in August than Virginia and south). We live in Northern Virginia and can drive up to a start location but would probably need to hike up and back (to wherever we park). We've hiked the AT in the rollercoaster through Boonesboro, MD vicinity. Sorry for the newbie questions - just looking for ideas to start the planning process.

Thanks in advance - Rob (and Jack).

Lone Wolf
06-15-2015, 20:38
Fox Creek southbound to Damascus in late august would be nice. 40 miles

BirdBrain
06-15-2015, 20:40
Do the Mahoosucs. 4 days is about right. Doesn't get any better. I don't have access to my journals or maps. By memory this is how I would do it.

NoBo

Day 1: Gorham to Dream Lake stealth.
Day 2: Dream.Lake to Carlo Col Campsite.
Day 3: Carlo Col to stealth after the Notch.
Day 4: Notch stealth to Grafton Notch.

Reverse for SoBo. Spot a car on each end.

BeatNavy
06-15-2015, 21:16
Thanks for the help. I'll start researching (or get him to) as well as any other suggestions.

steveinct
06-25-2015, 15:42
I am a little late to the party here. I am not sure how many miles you are looking to do in your 4 days, but you might want to check out the Grafton Loop trail in Maine ( 39 miles) or the Pemi-Loop around the Pemigewasset Wilderness in New Hampshire ( 31 miles). Both are loop hikes so there is no need to spot a car. With the Pemi, you can take side trips to extend the trip and do some peak bagging if you have the legs for some extra miles. You can also extend it out to somewhere around 41 miles by heading towards Zeacliff instead of going towards Bondcliff when traveling clockwise. I am sure you would love either trip.

Slo-go'en
06-25-2015, 16:20
The Mahoosucs and the Grafton Notch loop are both kick butt hikes. Those trails are about as difficult as it gets.

A slightly easier hike would be to go to Andover, ME, have Pine Ellis Lodge shuttle you to Rangley and hike back to Andover. The hike will start out fairly easy, then gets more difficult but not nearly as difficult as the Mahoosucs.