PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Partner / Trail Advice

karbear
06-15-2015, 22:32
Hi! I am planning my first hike on the AT and right now it is looking like it is going to be a solo four day trip. I have heard that the stretch I am looking at, a 30 mile loop from the Big Creek Ranger Station, is a good view of the Smoky Mountains but it looks like one of the shelters I planned to stay at is closed due to bear activity. I planned to fly into Knoxville or Ashville and see if I could catch a shuttle to and from the trail. I would love any advice on whether this a good safe area for a solo trip and if anyone would like to join. This will be my first overnight here in the States. I did a couple overnight hikes in New Zealand last year. I am planning for mid July but my dates are flexible as well so if someone wanted to join I could work with them. Hoping to nail down some details in the coming week.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Damn Yankee
06-16-2015, 07:57
If your worried about that section, you could fly into either Charlottesville or Weyers Cave and hike the SNP here in Virginia. I would be happy to join you.

slbirdnerd
06-16-2015, 12:42
Hi, Karbear! Hmmm, I'm not sure about the Smokies. There have been some bear incidents and a lot of shelter and campsite closures this year. Plus in mid-summer it could be pretty busy with more touristy types. If you're looking for peace and other hikers who practice good LNT, maybe pick a different section.

You might want to look at Standing Indian Loop, or I highly recommend contacting Jeff and Nancy at The Hike Inn at the south end of the Smokies for guidance, accommodations and shuttle (they shuttle a huge area in NC/TN). I believe they pick up at Asheville, among other places. http://thehikeinn.com/

At some point in July I'll probably be just south of or just north of GSMNP (skipping the park), but I don't have my details ironed out.

Have a great hike!

karbear
06-18-2015, 22:36
Thank you for the advice! I will contact Jeff and Nancy and see if they have any advice for the Smokies and start checking out SNP to see if it might have a better section. I am very excited to get out of the Arizona heat for sure and am doing some gear testing this weekend.

whynotsmile1
06-20-2015, 14:01
I'd love to join you~ the big creek area is one of my favorite spots of GSM. However I will be out of town until August 😒 I think you will have a wonderful hike~ I've never been disappointed with the gorgeous big creek area 😀 Happy trails 😀

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

thom1215
07-13-2015, 21:20
Just finished the Smokies, never saw a bear.

illabelle
07-14-2015, 14:37
Hi Karbear,
I wouldn't worry too much about bears in the Smokies. They are there, of course, but mostly run away, and that's if you're lucky enough to see one.

There will be other hikers in the Smokies during July, but not crowded like during the spring thru-hiker season, just normal weekend traffic. Few tourists will venture off the asphalt, so it's not like the trail is overrun. It's the only place to go around here that's high enough to escape from the summer heat. Of course, there are other high mountains in the area that aren't in the national park, both north and south of the Smokies. Someone mentioned Standing Indian. Another possibility is in the area of Roan Mountain on the TN/NC border north of the park.

karbear
08-09-2015, 19:24
I have my trip all put together now, I am going from Davenport Gap to Newfound Gap starting August 15th. I am flying into Knoxville and out of Ashville which shuttle service set up on both ends of the trail. I am very excited for next week! If anyone is looking for a ride I have plenty to share in the shuttle (They are for 5 people). Thank you for all of your advice!!

SwimBikeRun
08-10-2015, 20:52
Hello All,

I am wanting to do a thru hike on the AT starting March 1-12 and be on Katahdin August 1st. What is a SAFE way to meet hiking partners to join me on my journey? Thanks to any on who can offer advice/direction.

Berry Belle
08-13-2015, 18:24
If you have a local hiking club, you might meet a potential partner there. But often people who planned to hike together end up not being together. One leaves the trail, or they hike at a different pace, or just get tired of each other.

A lot of people just start hiking with people they meet early in their hike. There will be plenty of people at Springer Mountain at the time you're planning to start. Shelters and camping areas will be full of potential friends and hiking buddies. Use the same common sense you would use when making friends at home. Most of the people you decide you don't want to spend time around won't be dangerous, except to your sanity.

I haven't thru-hiked, but in many years of section hiking, I've only met a few people that left me feeling like I wanted to pack up and move on. And I did. Usually I see the same people at shelter after shelter, and after a few days, they feel like companions. One advantage of section hiking is that you make so many new friends.

SwimBikeRun
08-17-2015, 20:07
Thanks Berry for the Advice. Still makes me nervous. I would have to quit my job to accomplish this goal. I keep picturing myself walking alone for days without anyone to talk to. I want to enjoy the trip and have a good company.