PDA

View Full Version : Will I regret wearing shorts?

Tundracamper
06-16-2015, 09:52
I've hiked the AT, but only in the fall and winter. About to head up to the GA/NC state line area and wondering if I will regret hiking in shorts. Is the foliage thick enough next to the trail to snag your legs? Or, is traffic through there heavy enough that I don't have to worry about ending up at camp with scratches on my legs should I elect to wear shorts?

ChrisJackson
06-16-2015, 09:59
I've gone to running shorts for this time of year in Georgia. No problems. No snags. Though, I do stick to the AT this time of year specifically because it is easier to avoid poison ivy due to trail width. I still bring something like a running tight for camp and pajamas. I'd say you wouldn't regret shorts.

illabelle
06-16-2015, 10:10
Absolutely wear shorts. I've seen some weedy patches on the AT, but nothing so overgrown I'd be willing to wear long pants for a summer hike in the South. Most of the trail that I've seen has been cleared plenty wide. Like Chris said, bring something to stay warm in camp as it can be cool at night - and stay away from the poison ivy!

Kevin108
06-16-2015, 10:21
Why not wear something like the REI Sahara and have the best of both worlds?

jbwood5
06-16-2015, 10:25
I've hiked the AT, but only in the fall and winter. About to head up to the GA/NC state line area and wondering if I will regret hiking in shorts. Is the foliage thick enough next to the trail to snag your legs? Or, is traffic through there heavy enough that I don't have to worry about ending up at camp with scratches on my legs should I elect to wear shorts?

These days, the trail maintainers do a good job of keeping the trail clear. There have been some years where I have had briars almost close the trail in, but it's pretty infrequent. It might still happen, because the briars can grow several inches a week.

Maybe consider packing some lightweight long pants?

dbright
06-16-2015, 10:46
I look to wear long pants to keep the ticks away as much as possible.

bangorme
06-16-2015, 14:07
Wear shorts, put some repellent bordering the leg openings (above and below). Do the same with your shirt/tops. Ticks are a given until you get to northwestern Maine.

hikernutcasey
06-16-2015, 14:08
Summer in the south = shorts

Just spray your shoes, socks, shirt and shorts with Permethrin before you go to keep the ticks off.

RockDoc
06-16-2015, 14:55
Yes, the zip-off convertible pants are the ticket. Any given day, you may want to have both long and short pants available.

garlic08
06-16-2015, 15:06
In addition to bug repellent, you might need sunscreen. To avoid carrying and applying chemicals, I just wear lightweight long trousers (and sleeves). I don't like PI either.

Look at people who work out in the sun all day. They're covered up.

But many if not most hikers wear shorts, certainly in the South in late spring, and no, I don't think you'll regret it.

Rain Man
06-16-2015, 15:46
The problem is, 95% of the time, you'll like wearing shorts due to the heat. However, that 5% when you are walking through over-grow poison ivy, you'll regret not wearing pants. Poison ivy is the state plant of GA and of NC too.

Perhaps convertible pants?

HDLV
06-16-2015, 17:26
I am a big fan of the brand prana's Strech Zion pants. they are light weight and wick water well, On me they comfortablely roll up into shorts when I want them. No taking on and off shoes to change, you can actually convert shorts to pants while walking.

Starchild
06-16-2015, 17:36
The problem is, 95% of the time, you'll like wearing shorts due to the heat. However, that 5% when you are walking through over-grow poison ivy, you'll regret not wearing pants. Poison ivy is the state plant of GA and of NC too.

Perhaps convertible pants?

Poison ivy on pants is also a problem, the oil will stay on the fabric and transfer to the skin.

Tundracamper
06-16-2015, 20:17
In addition to bug repellent, you might need sunscreen. To avoid carrying and applying chemicals, I just wear lightweight long trousers (and sleeves). I don't like PI either.

Look at people who work out in the sun all day. They're covered up.

But many if not most hikers wear shorts, certainly in the South in late spring, and no, I don't think you'll regret it.

Is the canopy not thick this time of year? Again, I haven't been in the summer. But based on all the trees I remember seeing, it seems the trail would not always be in full sun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Namtrag
06-16-2015, 21:14
Columbia kayaking shorts ftw!

Carbo
06-16-2015, 21:39
Go with the shorts. Carry a few band-aids, which you should have anyway.

Fredt4
06-16-2015, 21:40
I wore shorts. Started my NOBO hike April 2nd. Got some poison ivy, no big deal. Got Lyme disease on my lower left keg, no sure if pants would have made a difference. Your call.

Buttercup01
06-16-2015, 21:52
I do a lot of off trail hiking. Doing that requires sturdy long pants and medium weight (or heavier) socks. On the trail, my major issues with shorts are:
1. Insect bites
2. Cuts and scrapes - I fall a lot
3. Poison ivy
4. Spider webs - I hate how they feel!
5. Sunburn
6. Tick landing zones (legs)
7. Annoying insects that you constantly swat.
8. My legs are pretty ripped up and don't look very pretty.

I think the best of both worlds for on trail hiking is very light pants with calf height socks.

Dogwood
06-16-2015, 22:27
What about kilts?

fastfoxengineering
06-16-2015, 23:03
In the hotter months on the AT, I prefer shorts.

I'm still not sold on pants being better with dealing with ticks or poison ivy. There's a lot of personal experience from people going both ways on that topic.

When it comes to dealing with the sun, being fair skinned, I prefer being covered with clothes over applying sunscreen. However, in hot and dry climates, long clothing is fine for me. On the AT, it's so humid, I can't deal with pants.

If your worried about bumps and bruises, it's gonna happen anyway, and you'll come out a stronger person.

Tipi Walter
06-16-2015, 23:31
I do a lot of off trail hiking. Doing that requires sturdy long pants and medium weight (or heavier) socks. On the trail, my major issues with shorts are:
1. Insect bites
2. Cuts and scrapes - I fall a lot
3. Poison ivy
4. Spider webs - I hate how they feel!
5. Sunburn
6. Tick landing zones (legs)
7. Annoying insects that you constantly swat.
8. My legs are pretty ripped up and don't look very pretty.

I think the best of both worlds for on trail hiking is very light pants with calf height socks.

I'm in shorts 95% of the time summer and winter. Nothing better than a good pair of drawstring shorts with two front pockets. My current brand is North Face.

Regarding your list--
#1 and 7---Insect bites are a non issue for my legs in the Southeast. The face is what gets attacked by gnats and noseeums and for that I sometimes wear a headnet.
#3 Poison ivy is a minor inconvenience and only when clearing a patch of it with my hands for a campsite. Same for #4 spider webs. Bare legs are only a problem for me when I enter a patch of a certain species of stinging nettle in a place I call Bullet Ant Gap---these particular plants pack a wallop.
#5 Sunburn is never a problem in the Southeast.
#6 For ticks it's better to hike in shorts so you can see the suckers on your socks or crawling up your legs and not hidden in your pants fabric.
#2 and 8---Cuts and scrapes and thorns and (nettles) and rips and jabs---The legs can take a lot of abuse and a lot of blood loss and keep on ticking. See below pic---

Staying in shorts is the easiest way to hike---with unrestricted legs.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2009/9-Days-with-the-Cranberries/i-ZQT7kBB/0/L/TRIP%2092%20123-L.jpg
And what's a decent backpacking trip without a little blood loss??

MuddyWaters
06-17-2015, 01:44
I prefer shorts
But vented railriders ecomesh arent bad
Keep you cleaner, scratch free, ticks off

My state reported less than 2 dozen cases of lyme in 2012.
My daughter hiked with a friend on saturday. She has a bullseye on her hip today.

She was wearing those stylish loose nike running shorts the girls like. Looks like something crawled up her leg to the waistband, couldnt go farther, and bit.

daddytwosticks
06-17-2015, 07:12
Is the canopy not thick this time of year? Again, I haven't been in the summer. But based on all the trees I remember seeing, it seems the trail would not always be in full sun.

I'm fair skinned and burn very easily. During this time of year, I never use or bring sunblock with me on hikes. You will be under tree cover 90% of the time. Just my opinion. :)

Astro
06-17-2015, 15:39

I have hiked the AT from GA to mid-VA in the summer and I always loose my tan on the AT.

Violent Green
06-17-2015, 22:38
Agree with most of the previous posters. Shorts are 100% fine. You won't get sunburned and the trail is four feet wide typically so scrapes aren't an issue. Insects are never a problem for me except around the face sometimes.

Ryan

Tundracamper
06-18-2015, 13:11
Awesome. I feel much more comfortable going with a plan for shorts all day and not worrying about sunblock or long sleeve. Thanks much! Can't wait to hit the trail.

glenlawson
06-19-2015, 10:09
go with the shorts. at this time of year, you need something that won't be too heavy when it's drenched with sweat.

sbhikes
06-19-2015, 12:37
How do you know if you had any fun if you're not bleeding?

What I did on my last backpack trip was bring a pair of tall gaiters that I made by cutting the legs off a pair of pants that were too short, sewing the top edge to make a casing to insert elastic and putting elastic in the bottom hem as well. Very handy for bushwhacking and for when it got cool at the end of the day (I'm out west, the nights are cool even if the days are hot). Probably not necessary on the AT, but it's a handy option that doesn't require the uncomfortableness of the shorts you get with zip-off pants.

Cuacoatchoo
06-19-2015, 15:06
What about kilts?

After wearing one for halloween, I don't know how ladies manage them without flashing everyone. I had to sit with a pillow between my legs. My knees were not made to touch.

Trail GA thru NC is some of the most heavily trafficed before peopel quit. As such the trail is pretty wide, and side vegetation is pretty beaten down. This time of year pants are mainly for sun, chilly morning, and evening mosquitios.

If you're comfortable being uncomfortable 5% of the time, shorts will do the job. Convertible pants will be used a shorts 95% of the time but do offer some nice flexibility, with the penalty of a few oz weight. They do come in handy though