PDA

View Full Version : SOBO start logistics

MarkCevoli
06-16-2015, 11:49
I just hiked 750 miles north on the AT, and got off to come back to Maine for a job interview which I did not get, and now I would like to flip up north and complete the AT going south. I am wondering about start logistics. As in, do I drive to Baxter, hike up and down Katahdin, then immediately start the 100 mile wilderness? I am asking because I need to know my supply options!

Water Rat
06-16-2015, 12:23
I just hiked 750 miles north on the AT, and got off to come back to Maine for a job interview which I did not get, and now I would like to flip up north and complete the AT going south. I am wondering about start logistics. As in, do I drive to Baxter, hike up and down Katahdin, then immediately start the 100 mile wilderness? I am asking because I need to know my supply options!

It all depends on what you want to do... Many people will take a shuttle to Baxter State Park and then climb Katahdin (you can leave your pack at the ranger station at Katahdin Stream Campground) with a day pack. After Katahdin, the trail leads through the park to the Abol Bridge and Golden Road. At this point, you do have the option to hitch to Millinocket to resupply, or buy stuff at the Abol Brodge Campground & Store. If you like Knorr sides and ramen - you would be fine. Personally, I would do my supply before hitting the trail and save yourself the time and money. Scamper across the Golden Road and you are in the 100 Mile Wilderness.

Since you are from Maine, you could have a friend take you to Katahdin.... or you could contact the AT Lodge and they can make it happen.

chiefduffy
06-16-2015, 16:55
Most hikers camp in Katahdin Stream Campground after the strenous ascent/descent of Katahdin, rather than hike the 10 miles out of the Park (to Abol Bridge) the same day.