PDA

View Full Version : Duck, Duck

Shutterbug
06-16-2015, 13:01
I just watched a remarkable struggle for survival. Two eagles attacked a duck that was swimming in Puget Sound. Each time an eagle would get close, the duck would duck under the water and would pop back to the surface just after the eagle passed. The eagles did their best to time their arrival just as the duck came back to the surface, but the duck evaded them by varying how long it stayed under the water. After several minutes, one of the eagles gave up. The duck flew away with the other eagle still chasing it.

Deadeye
06-16-2015, 20:52
In a remarkable coincidence, I was at a bird museum today, and one of the displays was of a raptor catching a duck. The display was based on the experience of the museum founder's father. Seems duck is often on the menu, and in this case the raptor chased the duck until it tired... end of duck. Thanks for posting the pics.

Rocket Jones
06-17-2015, 08:12
Very cool story and photos. I'm a little surprised that the eagle didn't just land on top of where the duck went down, they can swim too.

Moosling
06-17-2015, 08:58
Wow awesome story of survival! I love reading things like this, we get to see the world a different way by spending time outdoors. Kudos on the great experience.

Shutterbug
06-17-2015, 11:45
Very cool story and photos. I'm a little surprised that the eagle didn't just land on top of where the duck went down, they can swim too.

I have never seen an Eagle go below the surface of the water. They will sometimes sit on the surface for a second two, but not long enough to wait for a duck to come back up. In contrast, an osprey will chase prey, usually a fish, well below the surface. I have seen osprey go completely out of sight and stay under the water long enough that the splash is gone.

Pedaling Fool
04-30-2016, 09:13
Anyone missing a cat?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2016/04/29/nest-cam-livestreams-bald-eagle-parents-feeding-a-cat-to-their-eaglets/?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_most

archie
04-30-2016, 11:21
As a lifelong duck hunter I have seen that scenario several times. It is amazing. Your photographs are awesome. They bring me back memories and I am thrilled you shared them!

Thanks!