PDA

View Full Version : Winding Stair Gap to Fontana

Chris10
06-16-2015, 15:58
I know this is subjective, but.......about how many days will it take to hike from WSG to Fontana? I know there are a lot of big ups and downs in this section. Looking at doing it in 5 days and wonder if that is fairly reasonable or pretty ambitious? Have already sectioned hiked up to Franklin, and in the past have done right around 11-14 miles per day, but this section seems a bit more extreme.

Many thanks!

swisscross
06-16-2015, 16:15
57 miles....looks like a nice 5 day walk.

map man
06-16-2015, 18:47
I just section hiked from Winding Stair Gap to Allen Gap (north of Hot Springs) in May. I estimated I would do Winding Stair to Fontana in five days but ended up doing it in four. If you averaged 11 to 14 south of Winding Stair I would think five days is a reasonable estimate for you. The most difficult 20 mile stretch I've experienced on the AT in the southern Appalachians starts at the "Jump-up" (when you start the long downhill to NOC) and ends .7 miles short of Brown Fork Gap Shelter after a really steep up from Sweetwater Gap. You might want to shorten your mileage a bit in that part and lengthen it a bit in the other parts.

Chris10
06-16-2015, 21:43
Thanks-exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Defienetly want to stop at NOC, just trying to figure out if we spend the night there, or eat and move on through.

MuddyWaters
06-17-2015, 02:01
I took my 15 yr old to do it last spring, we did it in 3 days.

We carry less wt than most though, and do more miles.

I would say 4 -5 is normal pace.

Ive been thru that section 3 times, its one of the best for views in the south. I always camp at the site a mile before noc, and eat breakfast at NOC the next morning by the river. On a cool morning, its awesome.

slbirdnerd
06-17-2015, 12:43
Chris!!! Hope all is well! When are you guys going? I set out to do that section a couple weeks ago and bailed at Burningtown Gap due to issues at work. Headed back soon, though, and Cody is coming for part of it. :)

wrap89
06-17-2015, 14:30
i it will probably take you 4-5 days this is how i did it on all of my thru's.
1 winding stair gap to cold spring shelter.
2 cold spring shelter to the N.O.C.
3 N.O.C to brown fork gap.
4 brown fork gap to Fontana Damn.