PDA

View Full Version : 2 poles and a leash

squeezebox
06-18-2015, 18:38
How do you handle 2 poles and a leash?
I hurt my shoulder on the trail about 3 weeks ago, and came home. I've been walking in the local park here in St. Louis, it's 2 sq. miles and a walking path about 5 1/2 miles, sepparate from the bicycle path. I've been using one of those reel-up type leashes with my son's dog. I started carrying a pack a week ago. But how to attach the leash? The hip belt did not work very well, so I ran my chest strap through the leash handle. It works very nicely. I can pull on the leash to bring her in, shorten the leash and lock it, or let her roam within leash distance, and still use both hiking poles. This works well in the park, but the trail has a lot more trees and bushes to get tangled in.
What do you do for 2 poles and a leash?

kayak karl
06-18-2015, 18:57
those reel-up leashes are not good for training and can not be use in most parks. use a 6 ft leash and hook to belt and have dog walk 3 feet behind you where it belongs. it took a while to teach my dog it's not the lead dog ;)

Sarcasm the elf
06-18-2015, 19:07
those reel-up leashes are not good for training and can not be use in most parks. use a 6 ft leash and hook to belt and have dog walk 3 feet behind you where it belongs. it took a while to teach my dog it's not the lead dog ;)

Exactly this. The only thing I can add is that I use a good quality harness for the dog where the leash clips near the shoulder blades, that way if either one of us trips, slips or the like, the impact is put on the dogs body instead if her neck the way it would if the leash were clipped to her collar.

bemental
06-18-2015, 19:10
I use a Ruffwear Roamer (http://www.ruffwear.com/roamer-leash-stretching-dog-leash) leash with my dog when hiking. The bungee cinches together so there is no leash dragging around, but if we the pup wants to smell, or if one of us slips and falls, there isn't a sudden yank on either of us.

Theres also a portion closer to the clip (dog end of the leash) that isn't bungee so you are still able to control the dog, or provide corrections, as required.

Finally, when I hike with my dog I only use one pole. Isn't as efficient, but it works. You can change hands every few miles to even-out the miles on each arm/side of the body.

V Eight
06-21-2015, 09:25
I just tied at piece of mason line (heavy nylon string) to the leash handle and used a wally world "beaner"
to attache the string to a pole strap. This has work well for me. My dog is only around 14lbs and is very well trained and behaved on the trail. Now, if you have a bigger dog that might want to try and chase a squirrel without notice, taking your arm with it, your pack strap may be better for you.
This is the rig I would use in a park setting as the OP asked about. My dog does not go on long distance hikes.

Walkintom
06-21-2015, 10:21
Consider training your dog with a gentle leader along with a harness. Breaks the pulling habit quite well for most dogs without inflicting pain.

Once your dog has no pull habit against the leash (not saying yours does now), a hip belt connection is fantastic. Dogs that have leash length awareness and a desire to not exceed that length are very low maintenance to walk with as far as leash control goes because they manage it for you.

2nd the mention of not using a reel leash. Most places that have leash laws stipulate a 6 ft leash. Reel leashes are not good for doggy self discipline in my experience. They over complicate what should be a fairly simple situation and that's aside from mechanical failures and legalities.