PDA

View Full Version : 3 day loop suggestions??

jeepcj258
11-17-2005, 22:23
I have been blessed to be off next Monday, Tuesday, & Wensday. I am heading to North Alabama on Sunday and want to hike Monday, Tuesday, & Wensday. I prefer to hike a loop because I have to be back Wensday night and can not risk the time that it might take to hitch back to the car.

I am kinda Sypsey & Pinhotied out. I am thinking somewere in the Chattanooga area within about an hour of there any way. It will take me 3.5-4 hours to get to Chattanooga so one more hour is about as far as I want to go.

I did a search and got a few results but I am interested to here your suggestions.

Thanks for the help!
God Bless
Seth

Two Speed
11-17-2005, 22:30
Ever hiked the Standing Indian area? Can make a nice 3 day loop out of Kimsey Creek to Deep Gap on the AT, run the AT to the Long Branch Trail, takes you right back to the parking lot at Kimsey Creek. 24 miles or so I think.

MisterSweetie
11-17-2005, 22:34
I wish I didn't have plans already... :) we'll get together for some hiking yet.

jeepcj258
11-17-2005, 22:35
That is a bit further than I want to go. That is going to be about 7 hours of driving to get to the trail head.

I would love to get over there but I do not have that much time. I need to keep it as close as possible. With in an hour of Chattanooga is doable but any thing further is getting out there.

Thanks for the suggestion.

jeepcj258
11-17-2005, 22:42
I wish I didn't have plans already... :) we'll get together for some hiking yet.

I wished you did not have plans, right now I have no other people going with me.

halibut15
11-17-2005, 22:54
These might be a little close to the 1 hour from Chattanooga limit, but have you looked into the Cohutta Wilderness or Citico Creek/Cherohala Skyway areas? They both have MANY trails that could easily make a 3 day loop, and the scenery is just incredible in both places. A lot of solitude, also. I don't know about the Jacks or Conasauga River trails with this recent cold, though. That might be a tad uncomfortable.

Ramble~On
11-18-2005, 00:48
I agree...might be a "tad" more of a drive but it'd be worth it to stretch your legs on some new trail.
Big Cohutta Wilderness in GA is first rate and plenty "roomy".
The Citico Creek Wilderness and Slickrock Creek Wilderness areas have a multitude of 3 day loops regardless of how many or how few miles you want to do each day...All three have a common bond with the Benton MacKaye Trail. Any web search on either of them will give plenty of info.
The BMT incorporates a lot of existing trails and isn't shown on most maps yet.

jeepcj258
11-18-2005, 08:36
Thanks guys, I will give both of these areas some research. What are some of the nearest towns to the trail heads??

halibut15
11-18-2005, 08:47
Try Tellico Plains, TN or Robbinsville, NC for Citico Creek. It's pretty far between towns, but the Cherohala Skyway could be a better reference point. The Cohuttas are huge; Ellijay, GA, Blue Ridge, GA, Chatsworth, GA, or The Ocoee River area in TN are all possible entry points.

The Solemates
11-18-2005, 10:15
For something even closer, there are two alternatives.

1) Cumberland Trail - Tennesse River Gorge Segment - Prentice Cooper State Park....This is just outside of Chatanooga and you can form a loop. Park at Signal Point and do the outer loop, plus around the gorge. I think there are 35 miles or so currently open, although one day the cumberland trail will stretch all the way into kentucky, connect with the sheltowee trace, and continue into west virginia. I have always wanted to do this loop, so if you go, post a report on here afterwards. Info here: http://www.cumberlandtrail.org/ and a map here: http://www.cumberlandtrail.org/tngorgemap.html

2) Savage Gulf/Stone Door
This is near Monteagle, TN and there are lots of possibilities of loops of different distances. Ive always wanted to do this as well, so report back. Many on WB have done variations of this trail and have said good things, so search here on WB for info and pictures. http://www.backpackcamp.com/Maps/SavageTrail.jpg

I would go with you this weekend, but we are off to do some hiking of our own on Tuesday afternoon, as we make our way towards PA for thanksgiving.

Youngblood
11-18-2005, 10:19
I hiked a loop hike in the Savage Gulf Natural Area once with a buddy. It is probably a little closer to you, it is in eastern TN ( http://www.state.tn.us/environment/nh/natareas/savage/ ). I didn't put the trip together so I don't enough details to really get you started. I believe you have to call ahead and schedule campsites. You register when you get there and they give you a map. It is a beautiful place, maybe the phone number on the website can get you in touch with someone that can fill you in on what info you may need?

jeepcj258
11-18-2005, 10:55
Youngblood, how many miles and how long did you guys take?

Youngblood
11-18-2005, 11:09
Youngblood, how many miles and how long did you guys take?
I'm thinking it was a three day trip. The area is layed out for doing loop hikes. I'm looking at the Falcon Guide for Hiking Tennessee by Kelley Roark. It is basically around 3 gorges with 5 loops that interconnect near the center by one trail that follows Big Creek. There are numerous possibilities to connect loops of varying lengths. You have to be careful and use the maps, as I recall they don't use identifying blazes along the different trails, instead they use info signs at trail junctions. I suspect if you call and talk to a ranger that they can set you up on a series of trails that will get you the mileage you want, they likely do this every day. The book says it is 11,500 acres and 55 miles of trails.

jeepcj258
11-18-2005, 11:39
I have that book, I will give it a look, thank you!!