PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Jerky

april2006
11-17-2005, 23:45
How do you make Turkey Jerky? I got a 12 lb turkey for thanksgiving from work and there's no way I can eat it all if I cook it since I live by myself.
Thanks!!

hammock engineer
11-17-2005, 23:50
Never made turkey jerky. The cook book that I have said to marinate it the same way as beef. The only difference is that you are supposed to cook turkey and chicken first. Let us know how it turns out.

bogey
11-17-2005, 23:52
http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/misc/jerky.html

Skidsteer
11-18-2005, 00:01
How do you make Turkey Jerky? I got a 12 lb turkey for thanksgiving from work and there's no way I can eat it all if I cook it since I live by myself.
Thanks!!

Give him three cups of strong coffee and casually ask, " why do you suppose that coyote keeps peeking around that oak tree?" :)

Doctari
11-18-2005, 00:19
Slice thin, as evenly as possible. An automatic (deli type) slicer makes this easier.

Marinate as desired (or not), I like soy sauce with a bit of hot sauce in it as a marinade.

Dry. I like to make it crispy, but probably best would be a leathery texture.

DOUBLE ZIP LOCK, & store in freezer til ready to use. Should last nearly forver in the freezer. If you have a vacume sealer it will last just a bit longer than forever :p

Note: I use cooked turkey, just because. I suppose you could use raw, may be a little harder to slice when raw.

Doctari.

Bjorkin
11-18-2005, 02:06
Give him three cups of strong coffee and casually ask, " why do you suppose that coyote keeps peeking around that oak tree?" :)

I'll be laughing at that for a few days. :)

Turtle2
11-18-2005, 13:10
I've been making chicken jerky out of the chicken breast tenderloins from Wally World. The tenderloins keep me from having to slice the slimy meat. I marinate them in soysauce,water (recipe calls for wine) brown sugar, and black pepper. Dry till crisp. Great stuff.

Footslogger
11-18-2005, 13:16
I bought "turkey bacon" once that was sliced very thin. I laid out the entire package on a couple trays in my dehydrator and a couple hours later it was done. Kinda resembled "turkey chips" and was very tasty. If I was going to do that again I'd probably seasonor marinate the strips a bit before drying them.

'Slogger

jackiebolen
11-18-2005, 13:32
mmmm....turkey jerkey

Blister
11-18-2005, 16:51
I did some turkey jerky a couple years ago - a great marinade while you are dehydrating it is maple syrup. It alsmost makes it like candy with protien. You coat the turkey twice while dehydrating first when you put it in and then 1/2 way through coat it again. Chewy and yummy!

:dance :dance :dance

april2006
11-18-2005, 18:32
Thanks for all the replies!! I'll have to get that turkey cooking!!