PDA

View Full Version : Fall Hike; Southeast; Your recommendations

rbeck
06-19-2015, 23:09
Hi all,

I asked for some recommendations a little while ago. Now that I have looked at my map more closely, I can ask a more reasonable question.

I will be in both Savannah and also Pinehurst, NC. We want to hike part of the AT and so will take the "scenic" route one way or the other between the two cities so we can make the hike.

We are looking for something around 10 miles. What section would you suggest looking at?

Thanks for the input.

AO2134
06-20-2015, 01:07
In Georgia, do Woody Gap to Neel Gap. It is about 10 miles. Highlights Big Ceder Mountain and Blood Mountain (highest mountain on GA AT). To round off the trip you could drive up to Brasstown Bald (you drive up basically to the summit) and hit highest mountain in GA too. Otherwise, time permitting you could hike Desoto Falls, which is close to Blood Mountain. Why? This section Parking at both ends with easy to access and safe parking lots.

In NC, do Winding Stairs Gap to Wayah Bald. Why? Siler Bald and Wayah bald are to great views and it fits within your 10 mile range. Why? This section Parking at both ends with easy to access and safe parking lots.

You could also do Wayah Bald to Tellico Gap to Wesser Bald (best view south of smokies) back to Tellico Gap. This would be a 12ish mile hike.

This assumed you have two cars or wish to shuttle (i.e., don't have to do an out and back hike).

rbeck
06-20-2015, 13:33
Thank you!! We are likely to only have one car, unless I can talk my brother in to driving out there with us. A few more questions:

1. I will need to get maps/guide book: what sections are these hike in?
2. Is the shuttle community in these areas safe and reliable? I haven't used a shuttle arrangement before: is it generally better to ask for a drop off or a pick up? I'm guessing a pick up, although timing could be an issue.

Rosemary