PDA

View Full Version : Poles on planes

PuckFu-AgentofChange
06-19-2015, 23:29
This will be my first time heading to the AT with my pack on a plane. Will my hiking poles be alright secured to the outside of my pack?

MuddyWaters
06-19-2015, 23:35
You can check poles as baggage.
You may or may not be allowed to carry on.
If checking pack, wrap it in heavy plastic or put in duffel or box. You dont want things hanging off that can get caught on anything.

illabelle
06-20-2015, 05:04
This will be my first time heading to the AT with my pack on a plane. Will my hiking poles be alright secured to the outside of my pack?

Not advisable. Like MW said, they can hang up on conveyors and such. We put our packs in a large duffel. Works well.

Traveler
06-20-2015, 06:02
Poles may be problematic, it really depends on the departing airport TSA personnel. I have seen them allowed on, usually not.

The other consideration you may face are the maximum carry on size and weight limits. These vary by airlines, some sizes are;

American, Alaska airlines - 24" x 17" x 10"
Delta

Traveler
06-20-2015, 06:10
Bah! Hit the wrong button....

American, Alaska - 24" x 17" x 10"
Delta, Northwest - 22" x 14" x 9"
Southwest - 24" x 16" x 10"
United, USAirways - 24" x 16" x 10"

Some planes have very small overheads and carry on is further limited in size. Maximum weight for most US carriers is 40 lbs, but can be rejected by the gate attendant, even if 2 lbs lighter depending on the size, bulk, or shape of the carry on.

Best solution is to either ship it ahead of you via UPS or FedEx, or put it in a duffle and check it.

MuddyWaters
06-20-2015, 08:01
Airlines are currently also making carry on sizes smaller to force more baggage check fees.

saltysack
06-20-2015, 08:22
Just got back from Costa Rica ...spirit airlines now only allows 1-"personal bag"......charges for carry on....I'm planning to ship my bag straight to the hotel for my jmt hike..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pauly_j
06-20-2015, 11:08
When I fly with my pack I always put my poles inside my pack next to the bag's frame. I've never tried to carry poles as hand luggage and I can imagine there would be a big risk of getting them taken off you.

Coffee
06-20-2015, 11:24
Don't take the chance with TSA. I recommend mailing poles, tent stakes, knife, and other things you can't reliably carry on board. Then carry your pack on board as carry-on luggage. USPS has a large priority mail box called the "board game" size box that perfectly fits my collapsed poles as well as other miscellaneous items:

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/productDetailSingleSku.jsp?productId=P_GB_FRB

If you have click-n-ship, it costs less than $16 to send anywhere in the US with tracking. This is the best way to go. However, you usually have to order the (free) boxes ahead of time since they aren't stocked in most post offices.

You can also use fed ex or UPS but the cost is going to be higher. But in all cases the cost is usually equal to or just slightly more than the cost of checking a bag. And you don't have to rely on TSA. Never rely on TSA. They are arbitrary and totally capricious in terms of what they allow. It is up the discretion of a lowly paid screener. Many, in my experience, relish the power they hold over people. And they won't hesitate to screw up your trip. Sure there are exceptions but rude and capricious service is what I have come to expect and I travel quite a bit.

kayak karl
06-20-2015, 12:31
i thought samuel l jackson had a new movie out ;)

Odd Man Out
06-20-2015, 14:08
Last time I flew Southwest so there was no checked baggage fee. It was a non stop flight so I wasn't too worried about lost luggage. I have a big canvas green army duffel bag that held everything (left with shuttle driver for the trip home). Remember that ONE book of matches and a common lighter are OK in your carry-on/pocket but not checked bags (go figure).

GreatDane
06-21-2015, 16:18
Check your airline's website and the TSA website for what is and isn't allowed (note that they may not be the same). Overheard a conversation today at a local outfitter where they said poles with rubber tips are probably ok, but I'd still check the "authorities".

10-K
06-21-2015, 20:52
Coming back from Vancouver after finishing the PCT I broke my trekking poles down into sections and put them inside my pack, then took my pack on the plane as a carry-on. No problem.

magic_game03
06-21-2015, 21:37
PuckFu is headed back to the AT, really? After a decade it would seem like you might have gotten over it. I understand, it's kinda hard, it's your roots. Be aware, it's not the same. And it's definitely not Oregon!

As far as your question. They will absolutely NOT let you carry them on. I've already tried to claim that they were the same as anybody who had a walking cane, but they would not budge. Most airlines specifically state, trekking poles are not allowed in carry-on. You can check them IN your baggage. I take mine apart, into three separate pieces, so they will fit into my Osprey. I will usually duct tape them together to make them stronger and I've never had a problem with them getting bent.

Grinder
06-22-2015, 08:51
I just returned from my first hike with airplane to and from:
You can attach your poles (compressed to shortest possible) strapped to the outside of your pack. I asked the baggage attendant to wrap the whole thing in a bag, which the Orlando airport provided. On the return, I asked for the bag again and Albany airport didn't have any. The attendant got one from a janitor and taped it up nicely. No damage to pack or poles.

saltysack
06-23-2015, 10:34
I just returned from my first hike with airplane to and from:
You can attach your poles (compressed to shortest possible) strapped to the outside of your pack. I asked the baggage attendant to wrap the whole thing in a bag, which the Orlando airport provided. On the return, I asked for the bag again and Albany airport didn't have any. The attendant got one from a janitor and taped it up nicely. No damage to pack or poles.

I assume you checked them not carried on?

Another Kevin
06-23-2015, 14:32
Check your airline's website and the TSA website for what is and isn't allowed (note that they may not be the same). Overheard a conversation today at a local outfitter where they said poles with rubber tips are probably ok, but I'd still check the "authorities".

The problem is that you can't check with "the authorities." They even make a big deal of saying that the rules are intentionally unpredictable so that the bad guys won't figure them out. You never know what's allowed or not until the screener tells you. I've had an empty Nalgene bottle confiscated because "it's too large a liquid container, and well, you could just fill it up again past the checkpoint."

ZenRabbit
06-23-2015, 14:44
I can tell you that you MIGHT get on a flight with them attached to the outside of your pack. And on the NEXT FLIGHT you will be denied boarding and asked to check them. The problem is that the TSA and baggage handlers lurking behind those rubber flaps on the conveyor don't care about your stuff. Except in the case where they want to steal it. I've had a fly rod in an aluminum tube that I intended to carry on a flight to Montana and they made me check it. I never saw it again.

Your best bet if you want to get them there would be to put them IN THE PACK, check the pack after you have plastic wrap up on the pack. If they remove the plastic wrap they'll most likely tape it up to have the straps covered so the don't catch on the belts.

Alternatively, ship them to yourself somehow.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Coffee
06-23-2015, 14:52
Having traveled outside the US, I'm shocked by how unprofessional our TSA can be. It would be nice to think that the unpredictable nature of screening is to keep terrorists guessing but it is more likely simple incompetence and/or vindictiveness on the part of lowly paid, poorly trained, and otherwise powerless workers taking it out on travelers. Contrast this to security in a place like Tel Aviv Israel where obviously highly trained, highly competent, and very polite screeners not only do a good job of examining the contents of carry on AND checked luggage but also ask intelligent questions and engage travelers in casual conversation to look for red flags. Also as one approaches security, there are cameras watching the behavior of individuals to detect tip offs like nervous tics and other signs that someone may be up to no good. Maybe I'm wrong about TSA but I doubt it based on my experiences.

Another Kevin
06-23-2015, 15:15
The problem is that you can't check with "the authorities." They even make a big deal of saying that the rules are intentionally unpredictable so that the bad guys won't figure them out. You never know what's allowed or not until the screener tells you. I've had an empty Nalgene bottle confiscated because "it's too large a liquid container, and well, you could just fill it up again past the checkpoint."

It would be nice to think that the unpredictable nature of screening is to keep terrorists guessing but it is more likely simple incompetence and/or vindictiveness on the part of lowly paid, poorly trained, and otherwise powerless workers taking it out on travelers.

I should have used italics.They make a big deal of saying that the rules are intentionally unpredictable so that the bad guys won't figure them out. It gives them license to make them up as they go.

saltysack
06-23-2015, 15:35
All true and good points....I'm going to ship my poles,stove, tent awning pole, leatherman micra to the hotel for my JMT hike...anything else that could be questionable?? Nowadays u can't assume anything with tsa....olive oil and dr B ok in unmarked small containers?

Traveler
06-23-2015, 19:40
Israel has the advantage of utilizing different security measures with only a limited number of flights a day from Ben Gurion. The US domestic air carriers have some 40,000 take offs a day. To do the same interviewing process would cripple the industry in the US with ripple effects to asian and european carriers. Looked at another way Israeli airlines handled approximately 13 million passengers in 2012, the US handled 850 million in the same year.

If you don't believe TSA has similar approach cameras and people trained in body language you probably should look more closely when you are moving towards, through, and away from security stations.

Traveler
06-23-2015, 19:41
Sorry! Not sure what happened, I was posting in a different thread and it appeared here.... odd stuff in the inter web

ZenRabbit
06-23-2015, 20:22
All true and good points....I'm going to ship my poles,stove, tent awning pole, leatherman micra to the hotel for my JMT hike...anything else that could be questionable?? Nowadays u can't assume anything with tsa....olive oil and dr B ok in unmarked small containers?

3-1-1 Liquids Rule

You are allowed to bring one small bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes through the checkpoint. These are limited to 3.4 ounces or less per container. Consolidating these containers in the small bag separate from your carry-on baggage enables TSA officers to screen them quickly.

3-1-1 for carry-ons. Liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes must be 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less per container; must be in 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. The bag limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring.

Be prepared. Each time a TSA officer stops to physically screen a carry-on bag, it slows down the line. Practicing the 3-1-1 rule will facilitate the checkpoint experience.

Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula/food and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces, and they don’t have to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. TSA officers may need to open them for additional screening.

If in doubt, put your liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes in checked baggage.

saltysack
06-23-2015, 20:40
3-1-1 Liquids Rule

You are allowed to bring one small bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes through the checkpoint. These are limited to 3.4 ounces or less per container. Consolidating these containers in the small bag separate from your carry-on baggage enables TSA officers to screen them quickly.

3-1-1 for carry-ons. Liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes must be 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less per container; must be in 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. The bag limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring.

Be prepared. Each time a TSA officer stops to physically screen a carry-on bag, it slows down the line. Practicing the 3-1-1 rule will facilitate the checkpoint experience.

Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula/food and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces, and they don’t have to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. TSA officers may need to open them for additional screening.

If in doubt, put your liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes in checked baggage.

Not checking bags....a lost bag would ruin my hike....on a tight schedule. Plan to carry my pack as carry on....mail questionable items to hotel I'm staying in for first night.

PuckFu-AgentofChange
06-26-2015, 17:25
I was back out again in 05' and did 1,200 miles last Summer. This year I'm only hiking from Maine to Connecticut for a wedding.

Grinder
06-26-2015, 21:29
I just returned from a hike that I flew to. I collapsed my poles and bungeed them to the pack. I checked my pack. The baggage agent had Heavy Duty poly bags and wrapped the pack thoroughly. It came through unharmed.
On the return flight from Albany, NY, the agent had no bags, but got one from the janitor and taped it up very securely. It to made the trip unharmed.

Singto
06-27-2015, 04:32

Laws and regulations are made broad and vague for a reason. It's not so the bad guys can't figure them. It's so the bad guys can enforce them however they wish.

highway
06-27-2015, 08:25
There sure are a lot of opinions on this topic but little hard acts, so here is what I discovered:

Not wanting to check my backpack and run the risk losing it, some years ago i looked into the question of taking hiking poles on planes. Since then, I have been flying back and forth to Europe each year, wherever the cheapest ticket took me, and walked 4 different Caminos de santiago across Spain, Portugal, parts of France and have never had a problem with them collapsed and stowed inside my backpack.

What I did was to just look at the TSA website for their position in the US for their answer. It plainly states that it is perfectly legal and acceptable to carry on-board "Walking Aids" and that is precisely what our hiking poles are-walking aids! Now I would not attempt to carry a spiked tip ski pole on-board but my pack and poles have been looked at now at airports in Spain, France, Portugal and Germany and nobody has ever given it a more than a cursory glance. I no longer even think about it. The fact is, it's legal to carry them with you. It makes sense, too. How can someone deny another the use of their walking aid?

Traveler
06-27-2015, 09:33
There sure are a lot of opinions on this topic but little hard acts, so here is what I discovered:

What I did was to just look at the TSA website for their position in the US for their answer. It plainly states that it is perfectly legal and acceptable to carry on-board "Walking Aids" and that is precisely what our hiking poles are-walking aids! Now I would not attempt to carry a spiked tip ski pole on-board but my pack and poles have been looked at now at airports in Spain, France, Portugal and Germany and nobody has ever given it a more than a cursory glance. I no longer even think about it. The fact is, it's legal to carry them with you. It makes sense, too. How can someone deny another the use of their walking aid?

My travel is exclusively within the US and territories so I can't comment with first hand knowledge of foreign travel and what those carriers will allow. The fact remains, for US domestic air travel interpretation of whats allowed to be carried on and what is not has two levels, first line authority is the TSA at the airside security station, the other is the airline at the gate. I have seen trekking poles refused at the airside security stations and seen them get through airside but not allowed in the cabin at the gate by the airline (having to put them below). I have also seen them allowed on the plane. I travel about 125,000 miles a year and see a lot of denials by TSA which is not uncommon. If you want to argue the interpretation of the rules, thats up to you, however, TSA may be responding to a threat of some type you have no clue about and you may inadvertently put yourself in a small room with serious people if you argue it emotionally.

Safest bet in US domestic travel is to either stash them in your pack and check the bag, or as I do, ship it ahead of you to avoid any issues. Its a gamble the other way from what I see weekly.

PuckFu-AgentofChange
06-27-2015, 10:38
I greatly appreciate all the solid input. Things have changed around here, no trolling... Very nice, thanks tons folks! =D

highway
06-27-2015, 11:29
I am not trying to be argumentative but I would like others to be aware of tghe truth about TSA and whether our hiking poles are prohibited.
It is a simple matter just to ask the TSA whether our "walking aids" are permitted on aircraft.

Go to the TSA Website: http://www.tsa.gov/

At the top right corner is a little box that reads: "When I Fly Can I take My...?"

Simply enter your item and click go. If you ask for metal walking canes, the closest I could find for our hiking poles, the answer supplied is:

Check or Carry-on

You may transport this item in carry-on baggage or in checked baggage. For items you wish to carry-on, you should check with the airline to ensure that the item will fit in the overhead bin or underneath the seat of the airplane.

A TSA agent cannot legally prohibit a passenger from carrying our poles as carry-on luggage into the aircraft cabin as they are, as was explained to me-"Walking Aids"

I have recently had domestic travel experience at airports of Jacksonville, Miami, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Charlotte and my poles went casually inside my backpack through the TSA x-ray machines each time.

They do not need to be checked as luggage and we should not have to incur that extra expense for the checked luggage when we fly with our poles.

Coffee
06-27-2015, 11:50
A TSA agent cannot legally prohibit a passenger from carrying our poles as carry-on luggage into the aircraft cabin as they are, as was explained to me-"Walking Aids"

The fact remains that any TSA agent can deny any item at any time and cause you to have to decide whether to (a) check your pack at the last minute, possibly not having any protective element to wrap it in like a duffel; (b) give up the item and have to repurchase it at your destination; or (c) escalate the situation by demanding to see a supervisor possibly risking a missed flight and further hassles with essentially unaccountable lowly paid bureaucrats who won't take well to being challenged.

It seems better to avoid this by spending the $16 to simply mail ahead poles in a USPS flat rate "board game" box - a perfect fit for my alpine carbon cork poles, along with any other "questionable" items or things just to lighten my load on the plane.

But to each his own. I deplore the unaccountable nature of TSA and I'm not proud of my unwillingness to challenge "the system" but when I go on hikes it is to recreate, not make a political stand.

saltysack
06-27-2015, 12:12
The fact remains that any TSA agent can deny any item at any time and cause you to have to decide whether to (a) check your pack at the last minute, possibly not having any protective element to wrap it in like a duffel; (b) give up the item and have to repurchase it at your destination; or (c) escalate the situation by demanding to see a supervisor possibly risking a missed flight and further hassles with essentially unaccountable lowly paid bureaucrats who won't take well to being challenged.

It seems better to avoid this by spending the $16 to simply mail ahead poles in a USPS flat rate "board game" box - a perfect fit for my alpine carbon cork poles, along with any other "questionable" items or things just to lighten my load on the plane.

But to each his own. I deplore the unaccountable nature of TSA and I'm not proud of my unwillingness to challenge "the system" but when I go on hikes it is to recreate, not make a political stand.

Does ur loaded circuit fit in carry size requirements? I'm planning to ship my poles, stove and leatherman micra to the hotel. If it fits there's no reason to check...??

Coffee
06-27-2015, 12:21
Does ur loaded circuit fit in carry size requirements? I'm planning to ship my poles, stove and leatherman micra to the hotel. If it fits there's no reason to check...??

I've carried my Circuit on board "full size" jets (like the Airbus or Boeing 737) several times. Technically it doesn't meet the carry on specs if you keep the carbon fiber "hoop" installed. It is somewhat too tall. But no one has ever questioned the pack as carry on so far. I do keep it very compact looking with nothing in the exterior pockets and I also remove the hip belt and store it inside the pack. That's just to make it look as streamlined as possible which I think helps avoid the attention of people who may want to measure it exactly. What's ironic is that even though the Circuit is a bit over the limit, I see all kinds of ridiculous obvious oversize roll aboard bags allowed all the time. The reason I'm paranoid with my backpack is that I feel that airport and airline staff can discriminate against "backpackers" more so than "regular" travelers and I don't want to call attention to my pack's dimensions.

I think that you could get the Circuit down to the specs for carryon if you ship ahead the carbon fiber hoop, which is removable. Maybe include that with your poles and then reinstall before hitting the trail if you are really concerned.

saltysack
06-27-2015, 12:31
Thx

Traveler
06-28-2015, 07:06

Carry on sizing is changing (getting smaller) for some domestic carriers, definitely smaller for foreign flights. Sizes are;

American/Alaskan/Horizon 24"x17"x10" (American will be changing to 22"x14"x9" in the next few months).
USAirways/Southwest 24"x16"x10" (USAir will change to smaller dimensions in October)
United/Northwest/Virgin/Delta 22"x14"x9"

Baggage sizing is typically more heavily enforced when flights are at capacity. If the pack and contents is larger than the smallest size here, I would put it in a duffel bag and check it, or ship it with your other gear rather than have it be forced into the hold through your connecting flight and hope it makes it to your final destination.

Traveler
06-28-2015, 07:31
I am not trying to be argumentative but I would like others to be aware of tghe truth about TSA and whether our hiking poles are prohibited.
It is a simple matter just to ask the TSA whether our "walking aids" are permitted on aircraft.

Not being argumentative at all and I wish it were that simple, however there are a lot of misconceptions about TSA, which recently came under the microscope in failing to detect weapons planted to test the system. They have beefed things up a bit. Though your experience while good, may not apply to others.

People call TSA directly and ask about specific items, are told its ok to carry on, then be denied at the airport, which includes trekking poles. This may be for any number of reasons, even with assurances they are allowed. You can argue the denial, which I have seen people try, however, two things happen; you won't change the denial, and; you may be "interviewed" if there is a scene. Its a crap shoot really, sometimes they make it through, sometimes they don't. You can try the "walking aid" thing, but trekking poles are not metal canes. Further, when they are in the pack and you don't need them to walk, the claim falls flat.

The TSA can legally do what they want within their guidelines of threats, concerns, and potential hazards, they alone make the interpretation at the security station. That interpretation can change daily as well. Then there are the airlines which can deny them aboard if they are longer than 22" or 24" (depending on the carrier). When I want to take the pack and poles, I ship them to the hotel I will be going to on arrival. Its a small price for the insurance it will be there when I get there and avoids any possible problems with TSA or the airlines if the collapsed poles are longer than their max allowable length.

Coffee
06-28-2015, 07:38
As much grief as the USPS gets, I have yet to lose a package sent priority mail. Trust the USPS or the TSA? Your choice!

Traveler
06-28-2015, 07:42
as much grief as the usps gets, i have yet to lose a package sent priority mail. Trust the usps or the tsa? Your choice!

oh the humanity!!

Hadley Hal
06-28-2015, 09:46
Since the '70's I.ve been using a golf bag transporter. I use to travel alot on business and always brought my clubs, and figured why not use it for packs ,poles, take-down fishing stuff, and whatever. Just watch the total weight.

Berserker
06-29-2015, 13:10
Another option I didn't see mentioned that I used was to place them in a thick cardboard tube (such as from a UPS store). Then you can bungee the tube to your pack, or you might be able to just carry them on and check them on the way on...I can't remember exactly what I did there. The tube worked well though.

Odd Man Out
06-29-2015, 14:25
...The TSA can legally do what they want within their guidelines of threats, concerns, and potential hazards, they alone make the interpretation at the security station. That interpretation can change daily as well. Then there are the airlines which can deny them aboard if they are longer than 22" or 24" (depending on the carrier). When I want to take the pack and poles, I ship them to the hotel I will be going to on arrival. Its a small price for the insurance it will be there when I get there and avoids any possible problems with TSA or the airlines if the collapsed poles are longer than their max allowable length.

+1 on this. Just because you interpret the rules one way, the people at the gate can interpret them differently and you have no recourse. The same is true with carry-on sizes. Just because you have never had a problem it doesn't mean you won't. Also not mentioned is that in addition to a size limitation for carry on luggage, many airlines have a weight limit with 22 lbs being common. If you've packed your food in your pack for a trip, it is possible you violate the weight limit too. My wife has had her carry on (which was NOT over sized) rejected twice for going over the weight limit. We got around it by transferring stuff to my bag and her purse (personal item) and we got on thanks to sympathetic airline employees (an these are airline, not TSA rules). Feel free to break the rules, but please don't whine when you get caught or if I pull your over sized bag out of the over head bin so mine will fit (which I have done when there was some yahoo with a bag the size of Texas filling the whole bin - when mine wouldn't fit, I made sure his was gate checked and not mine).

highway
06-30-2015, 08:01
Wondering if there might be a modicum of truth to what the naysayers on this thread,"poles on planes", were saying, I sent an email to TSA and asked for a ruling as to whether it was legal to take the hiking poles on-board as part of the carry-on luggage. I was able to chat with a young lady who called me by telephone, one who was tasked to answer queries of this nature, and she reiterated that it indeed was appropriate & legal to carry metal hiking sticks as walking aids upon planes, so long as there were no sharp points on them, allowing them to be used as weapons. The poles, she said, would have to placed upon the conveyor belt to be scanned just like all other carry-on items. Also, she did admit that the inspectors did have some latitude in making the determination of what was and what was not allowed when they did their inspections at the gate security. When I told the lady that these were hiking aids, which I would need for my upcoming hike, she hesitated and then suggested that were it ever to happen, for me to politely ask to see a supervisor.

However, she knew what hiking poles were and said that, while it could happen, the possibility of any agent refusing them would be quite rare. Calling in a supervisor should solve the issue.

I have carried my poles as checked luggage for a number of years now with nary a problem. So, if I do experience a problem, I'll just ask to see a supervisor. Going on a long hike I cannot afford to check either pack or poles and run the risk of the airline losing them. None of us can and taking them with us as carry-on luggage is the simplest solution. For what its worth, I thought I'd pass along the information.

highway
06-30-2015, 08:01
Wondering if there might be a modicum of truth to what the naysayers on this thread,"poles on planes", were saying, I sent an email to TSA and asked for a ruling as to whether it was legal to take the hiking poles on-board as part of the carry-on luggage. I was able to chat with a young lady who called me by telephone, one who was tasked to answer queries of this nature, and she reiterated that it indeed was appropriate & legal to carry metal hiking sticks as walking aids upon planes, so long as there were no sharp points on them, allowing them to be used as weapons. The poles, she said, would have to placed upon the conveyor belt to be scanned just like all other carry-on items. Also, she did admit that the inspectors did have some latitude in making the determination of what was and what was not allowed when they did their inspections at the gate security. When I told the lady that these were hiking aids, which I would need for my upcoming hike, she hesitated and then suggested that were it ever to happen, for me to politely ask to see a supervisor.

However, she knew what hiking poles were and said that, while it could happen, the possibility of any agent refusing them would be quite rare. Calling in a supervisor should solve the issue.

I have carried my poles as checked luggage for a number of years now with nary a problem. So, if I do experience a problem, I'll just ask to see a supervisor. Going on a long hike I cannot afford to check either pack or poles and run the risk of the airline losing them. None of us can and taking them with us as carry-on luggage is the simplest solution. For what its worth, I thought I'd pass along the information.

saltysack
06-30-2015, 12:36

I wonder if the std small bd carbide tip would be considered a weapon?

Traveler
06-30-2015, 12:48
I wonder if the std small bd carbide tip would be considered a weapon?

The short answer is yes, it can be interpreted that way.

saltysack
06-30-2015, 12:52

That's the problem....

highway
06-30-2015, 12:54
Saltysack:
"I wonder if the std small bd carbide tip would be considered a weapon?"
I did bring that up when I spoke with the TSA lady. She knew about the poles as well as the basically flat carbide tips and expressed that she did not see where it would be a problem. Now, she did mention that the long sharp spikes on ski poles would absolutely not be allowed on-board as carry-on.

Where the poles are always inspected is when they are on the conveyor belt and examined with the visual X-ray machine, along with everything else metal we all must place there to make it through the metal detector without pinging it. No inspector has ever picked the poles up to give them a second glance. However, a few times I have had them stop my backpack and rummage through it looking for something they felt unusual looking.

saltysack
06-30-2015, 13:13

That's the problem....can

saltysack
06-30-2015, 13:15
Saltysack:
"I wonder if the std small bd carbide tip would be considered a weapon?"
I did bring that up when I spoke with the TSA lady. She knew about the poles as well as the basically flat carbide tips and expressed that she did not see where it would be a problem. Now, she did mention that the long sharp spikes on ski poles would absolutely not be allowed on-board as carry-on.

Where the poles are always inspected is when they are on the conveyor belt and examined with the visual X-ray machine, along with everything else metal we all must place there to make it through the metal detector without pinging it. No inspector has ever picked the poles up to give them a second glance. However, a few times I have had them stop my backpack and rummage through it looking for something they felt unusual looking.

How about a canister stove....no canister

Cuacoatchoo
06-30-2015, 16:12
My buddies and I have had a mixture of success with carryingon. While sometimes it works you should, its alot less headache to check imo. paying extra for direct flights can help you avoid your bag ending up in the wrong city (real crumby start to a long thru hike). Of the carry on methods, already described I like checking your bag and placing it in a large laundry bag to protect straps etc. Its cheap, and allows TSA to enter the bag without cutting the plastic off. Make sure you buckle and tighten all the straps as well. I lost a chest strap to a conveyor belt.

If a TSA boy scout gave me trouble about 4 inch blunt tent stakes I'd really raise hell. I could see an idiot potentially saying something about them though.

While mailing is considered safer and you can insure the package, my buddy who mailed his trekking poles and pocket knife, somehow lost the pocket knife from the shipping tube. The package was stapled back closed. So mailing isn't 100% either.