PDA

View Full Version : Shoes

mml373
06-20-2015, 18:22
I am a new member here (joined because I want to through-hike the AT in 2016) who has some experience hiking. I have hiking shoes (Oboz Firebrand II) that I like well enough, but am wondering if I really need waterproof shoes or if I can get away with lighter weight trail running shoes.

My concerns:1) Waterproof shoes are going to get wet anyway and will take time to dry. (They're low enough that water can come in over the top even at puddle crossings. 2) I don't like hiking boots of any type...not sure I must have them on the AT. 3) I'm not sure trail running shoes will provide adequate protection and structure for carrying additional weight of a pack. 4. I'm not sure trail runners will be suitable in snow.

On the flip side, I have a hunch that trail running shoes will dry faster and be more comfortable...which is key.

Appreciate advice. :-) Thank you in advance.

mml373
06-20-2015, 18:23
Oh, plan is to hike the AT North to South, beginning August of 2016.

Wyoming
06-21-2015, 11:43
mml373

Shoe choice is probably the most individually determined piece of hiking gear and the only way to really figure out what works best for you is personal experimentation. All types of footwear have been successfully used to hike the AT. The most common shoes in use today are likely trail runners followed by hiking shoes and running shoes. Actual boots are in a very small minority.

If you have a model of shoe that you already know works well for you I suggest you go with it. As you add lots of miles you may determine that you need something else or you may not. If it has a softer sole and your feet start getting really sore then you might be like me and need a very hard soled shoe. If your feet overheat you might need more ventilation than Gortex provides or what a solid sided shoe provides. Too many blisters then you have a fit, heat and/or moisture issue to solve - could be the shoe or the socks. Different people have different strengths and different weaknesses. Some are prone to injury and others are just flat tougher. Only experience and solving your specific problems will truely sort this issue out for you.

As to the 'need' for waterproof/breathable footwear like those with Gortex? I personally just do not think that it is a useful technology for the AT. But there are many who do use them. I think they are too hot and once they are wet inside they dry too slow. In rainy conditions which are common on the AT the rain is going to run down your legs and fill the shoes no matter what. So Gortex is useless in those circumstances. When walking thru very shallow water they will keep that water out - but that is not your normal water problem. Others will feel differently on this issue than I do.

Slo-go'en
06-21-2015, 13:52
Earlier this week I spent 2 days hiking in the rain and then another day hiking through wet brush/grass with a friend of mine. I used GTX boots, he used non-water proof trail runners. His feet were soaking wet for 3 days, my feet were slightly damp.

People who don't use GTX boots live in dry climates where it doesn't rain much. On the AT it rains a lot and having Gortex lined boots will save you a lot of misery. Hiking in wet boots and socks for days is not fun and is a good way to get a really bad case of blisters. Use gaiters to help keep water from running down your leg into the boots. And if you do get a lot of water in them, pour it out and the boot will dry fast enough. You still need to waterproof the outside of the boot to keep the leather/fabric from absorbing a lot of water.

You might not like boots, but that's the best choice to protect your feet on New England trails. And when the weather changes to winter, GTX boots will keep your feet a lot warmer.

mml373
06-21-2015, 20:11
Wyoming,

Sounds like our thoughts on shoes are similar. I'm leaning toward trail runners and 2 pairs of thin socks (Toesox and a thin sock over that) due to my experience as a runner and what's worked best for me in wet running conditions. I don't yet have a favorite trail running shoe (or any of them), but have plenty of time to find one that works.

From watching videos thru-hikers have posted on YouTube, I'm picking up tips. One fellow uses Crocs for water crossings...sounds like a good idea since they offer some level of foot protection and allow for trail shoes to be stowed in a dry place while crossing water.

Memories of a recent hike that involved a water crossing in my hiking shoes...LOL. I'm not coordinated yet with a pack on my back and planted my foot underwater less than halfway through a rugged 7-mile hike. No blister developed, but it wasn't pleasant hiking the remainder with a wet foot!

mml373
06-21-2015, 20:15
Slo-go'en, thank you. Most of my hike will be before snow should get really bad. I do agree that GTX would be a great choice if I were hiking the northland when snow is expected...since it is warm and dry (under ideal circumstances.)
They gaiters are a good idea...

wmdry
06-23-2015, 13:57
Slo-go'en, thank you. Most of my hike will be before snow should get really bad. I do agree that GTX would be a great choice if I were hiking the northland when snow is expected...since it is warm and dry (under ideal circumstances.)
They gaiters are a good idea...

I am on the AT now, hiking northbound. Started out with a pair of waterproof hiking shoes. Within 2 weeks, I had 14 blisters (bottoms and sides of my feet and between my toes). My feet stayed wet and pruney. No other hiker had blisters like me. Another hiker gave me a pair of his old running shoes. Within days, my blisters started going away. My waterproof shoes had a vapor barrier on the inside that never let my feet dry out. I was changing my socks 3-4 times per day. Regular running shoes is what I use now.

Cobble
07-15-2015, 00:16
Ventilated trail runners or things like the Merrell Moab overall. BUT I'd suggest hiking a bit in ankle supported shoes for a bit whether that is first few weeks on trail or a few hundred miles pre-trail if on rough trail. Maine has enough roots to roll your ankle on. After a few weeks you get more nimble and your ankles toughen up.

waterproof! Ha! That's a funny one! Did the outdoor store clerk tell you that one? ( we all believed it the first time too so we feel ya.)

mml373
07-18-2015, 17:24
Ventilated trail runners or things like the Merrell Moab overall. BUT I'd suggest hiking a bit in ankle supported shoes for a bit whether that is first few weeks on trail or a few hundred miles pre-trail if on rough trail. Maine has enough roots to roll your ankle on. After a few weeks you get more nimble and your ankles toughen up.

waterproof! Ha! That's a funny one! Did the outdoor store clerk tell you that one? ( we all believed it the first time too so we feel ya.)

Cobble, very true, LOL... If the water doesn't come from the outside of the shoe, it'll come from the inside...

Deadeye
07-19-2015, 10:42
It's already been said - this is a very personal choice. My feet sweat so much that they're always wet if I wear goretex - they're sometimes dry when I wear trail runners. My preference, but it's hard to find, is unlined leather. They're not as sweaty as goretex, but they can get dunked a few times without immediately soaking through.