PDA

View Full Version : Airport Security/Tent Stakes

Twigs
11-18-2005, 08:40
Has anyone ever had problems through airport security with their stakes or hiking poles, etc. I'm sure these things can't be carried on, but as long as they're checked in, has anyone still ran into problems? Thanks.

DebW
11-18-2005, 11:51
I've put collapsed hiking poles in my checked luggage with no problem.

Footslogger
11-18-2005, 12:16
Travelled via airplane in May and July of this year and had no problems. Checked the stakes and collapsed the hiking poles and placed them in cardboard tubes.

One tip on the trekking poles though. Turns out that the TSA beaurocracy distinguishes between "Ski Poles" and "Walking Sticks" in terms of carry on permission. They allow walking sticks that are used to assist people in hiking but DO NOT allow ski poles to be brought onboard as carry on luggage. Had to get the TSA folks to dig out their own regulations this past year in Denver to get to the bottom of that.

'Slogger

Mags
11-18-2005, 12:40
Good info:

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Prohibited_English_4-1-2005_v2.pdf</pre>

Seeker
11-18-2005, 13:57
had no trouble getting my stuff to new york state this past summer... just made sure it was all in my checked baggage. told the checker up front that the entire duffle bag was camping equipment, and that i'd be happy to explain anything 'weird' he might see... he said don't worry about it. as far as i know, they didn't open the bag (no one but me would have been able to repack it as tightly!)i did send my stove ahead in the mail though.

Red Hat
11-18-2005, 14:10
No trouble with stakes or hiking poles since they were checked with my pack. Unfortunately, I forgot that my tiny little knife was in the first aid kit in fanny pack. It was confiscated and I had to buy a new one.

Ender
11-18-2005, 15:20
Has anyone ever had problems through airport security with their stakes or hiking poles, etc. I'm sure these things can't be carried on, but as long as they're checked in, has anyone still ran into problems? Thanks.

If you check it you won't have any problems. If you try to carry it on you may, though restrictions have loosened recently so you could probably get away with tent stakes no problem even in carryon. Hiking poles can easily be checked, and some airlines/airports will let you bring it on the plane but others won't. Easier just to check them.

Pretty much, you won't have trouble as long as you check it. It's only when doing carry on that you run into problems.

swamp dawg
11-18-2005, 15:36
I flown several times into Boston and Manchester with my poles inside my pack. I just fold them up into my pack and send them through with my checked (pack)luggage. I found the trick is to try to make sure all straps are tied down so they don't get caught in any of the airport equipment and be sure to have a ID tag on your pack just in case of a malfunction. Life is good on the trail..Swamp Dawg

stag3
11-18-2005, 18:59
I got some DHL and Fed EX international bags. Fed Ex are okay for my GG Ozone. My Gregory needs the bigger DHL bag. These are super tough and saved my bag on the last trip. Use nylon ties for closure.

For carry on, I doubt tent stakes would be allowed-too long and sharp. But, TSA let me carry on the empty MSR fuel bottle and stove, and they never asked or looked insude the bottle--it was empty.

Uncle Silly
11-18-2005, 19:18
A good tip for flying with your pack as checked luggage ... can't remember who suggested it, might have been someone here in another thread. Go to your local army surplus store and get one of those big canvas duffel bags. Stick your whole pack inside it -- no loose straps, so no chance your pack could get caught in the equipment (and damaged by it). When you get to your destination, discard the duffel bag (or donate it to a local thrift store, or mail it home).

rmtjr
11-18-2005, 22:14
I flew American and Continental with my pack this past summer. Trekking poles, stove, tent stakes and pen knife were all in my backpack. No problem as checked baggage. The American attendant volunteered a heavy duty plastic bag for my pack. Worked great. I asked for a big plastic bag at Continental and the attendant produced one immediately. No muss. No fuss. I did not try to ship fuel. Bob

Grinds
11-18-2005, 22:16
I flew from Chicago to DC this summer. I specifically asked security about the poles and was assured it would not be a problem. When I arrived, however, they were nowhere to be found. Whether they were taken at Ohare or Dulles I still don't know. The airport gave me the runaround and I ended up relying on a found stick untill my boyfriend (Grinds) was able to meet me along the trail with a new pair. I wish I had looked into it a little more and taken the advice given here. Good luck!
- Bumps

hustler
11-19-2005, 02:02
I flew to and from the trail this spring with stakes in my carry on luggage. Just pack your backpack in a way that the stakes will be facing strait up when passing through the x-ray machine. I use to work at the airport with TSA and it is one of the tricks of the trade.