PDA

View Full Version : Presidential Traverse 2015

peakbagger
06-21-2015, 15:34
There is a tradition in the NE hiking community to hike the entire presidential range in the Whites in one day on the weekend day closest to the summer solstice. There are couple of variations but the general concept is park at Appalachia on RT 2 hiking up the Mt Madison and then Hiking down to RT 302 and hiking down to RT 302 at Crawford Notch. The normal recognized route is the Gulfside and Crawford paths taking the spur trails up and over the summits but on occasion I do a "lite" version which sticks to the Gulfside and Crawford paths. There are other variations where the route is extended on the southern end by adding on one or two additional non presidential summits.

The traditional route is 21 miles and 9000 feet of vertical gain. Part of the challenge is about 14 miles is at or above treeline which means weather can be a significant issue and the trail bed is mostly rock. The forecast for Saturday (6/20) was just about perfect, 100 mile visibility, cold morning with low humidity and a stiff breeze to keep the bugs at bay. We started around 4:20 AM at the Appalachia parking lot. Other groups had already headed out and we quickly put on the headlamps and headed out up the valley way. After about 20 minutes we got to watch the sky lighten up. When we arrived at Madison Hut, it was still in the shadows and there was frost on the ground. We headed up to our first summit and the sun popped out then headed south. Along with the multiple large and small groups doing the Presi, we encounted guided hut to hut groups, day hikers, section hikers and I expect a few thru hikers. The wind was steady all day, with the sun out as long as we were hiking shorts and T -shirts were fine but stop for a few minutes and a fleece was handy. Along the way we walked by one snow patch near Edmunds Col near Jefferson.

The summit of Mt Washington was booming with tourists. The line to stand next to the Mt Washington Summit sign for a photo was about 40 people long (we skipped it) and most of our time spent waiting in line to fill up water bottles. Many folks head indoors and inevitably burn up an hour. We were 15 minutes and then headed down to Lake of the Clouds where we scored some of the last fresh hut snacks available for sale. It was around 3:30 PM when we left Lakes. The rest of the southern ridge is terrain less aggressive than the northern presidentials. Nevertheless the miles are there and after 12 hours of hiking, there was still a lot of distance to go. We finally made it to the summit of Mt Pierce around 7:30PM and then it was down off the ridge. I rarely hike the lower section of Crawford Path in the summer but normally in the winter its a well packed sidewalk that goes quick. Unfortunately in summer, especially in the twilight and with a headlamp, its an eroded mess, in many spots a deep eroded wet trench with random rocks to trip on. There are attempts to drain it but when its the lowest elevation around its hard to keep the water and mud to a manageable level. We finally made it down by about 9:50 PM.

From a thruhiker perspective, it would not be advisable to attempt the entire ridge in a day, although I expect some do. A somewhat more viable but still very long day is camp in the woods between Mt Pierce and Mt Eisenhower (there are numerous spots in the woods and occasional rock slabs in this stretch and a couple of generally viable water sources prior the final ascent up to Mt Eisenhower). From this point a long day will get the hiker to the RMC sites on the slopes of Mt Adams. If the winds are high or rainy, a hike this long may not be possible as this section is very exposed with slippery rocks and dealing with the wind could easily cut a hikers pace in half if travel is even possible. One nice aspect of the ridge is that there are several reliable water sources along the ridge so with proper planning a hiker does not need to carry a lot of water. Be aware that the camping spots north of the Mt Pierce may be legal in low trees high enough to be below treeline but they are still near a ridgecrest and if bad weather comes in this is a dangerous place to camp and the nearest cover would be somewhere down Crawford path heading in the wrong direction.

Overall it would have been a hard day to beat.

Madpaddy
06-21-2015, 15:46
Nice job peakbagger...we are planning on doing this in August. Curious?...did it kick your butt hard, and how much of it was on the AT?

Slo-go'en
06-21-2015, 16:06
Yesterday was a good day to be above tree line, today it would have been impossible with the remnants of tropical storm Bill pounding us. What a difference a day makes.

peakbagger
06-21-2015, 17:05
About 14 miles of the route could be along the AT. The AT doesn't actually go over all the presidentials, only Pierce, Washington and Madison, It skips Eisenhower, Monroe, Jefferson and Adams. There are loops or spurs over the skipped ones. I expect few thruhikers bypass the summits on a nice day and if they are obsessive about touching every blaze and doing the summits they will have to add in some significant backtracking on spurs or loops.

The hike does kick my butt every year I do it, usually its my feet. Plan on a recovery day. Some people try to drive home after the hike, I strongly urge folks to stay overnight after the hike. Folks not used to hiking on the rocks in the whites will most likely have a tough time doing it. Every year hikers will end up paying for the cog or the autoroad to give them a ride down and usually folks will be hitching along the Jefferson Notch or Mt Clinton road to get back to their cars as they had to bial early. Except for the challenge its best done in two or three pieces with a day off in between (thus the lure of the AMC huts). Most folks hike North to South, if they need to bail out they can get down to a road in about 2.5 hours as long as they look at their map. Many groups spot a car at the cog and if they need to bail out, they can use the Jewell Trail or the Ammonusuc Ravine Trail. I strongly suggest hikers stay locally and start early in the dark. Heading down Crawford Path in the dark at the end of the day with headlamps is quite difficult, you are far better off hiking in the dark in the early AM. They should also be very familiar with the RMC trail network as in the first mile there are multiple intersections and its easy in the dark to take a wrong turn.

imscotty
06-21-2015, 17:28
Peakbagger,

Thank you for an interesting post. I would be interested to know what you carry for a hike like this. Fast and lite, or ready for every contingency? That is a tough day with or without a full pack. Nothing I would attempt to do.

Scott

Madpaddy
06-21-2015, 18:16
Thanks Peakbagger...very helpful indeed..much appreciated and will plan accordingly.

peakbagger
06-21-2015, 21:02
Fleece hat, balaclava, light fleece gloves, liner gloves, poly pro top and bottom, foil bivy bag, rain coat, zip off nylon pants, poly tee, headlamp, aquamira, nuun sunscreen, knife, bag of first aid stuff, compass, MST hydration bladder, water bottle, sun glasses, windblock fleece jacket, bug repellent. I don't bring a large lunch but carry lots of snacks.

I start out with minimal water maybe a quart and then tank up at Madison Hut rather than lugging it up from the road. I also start mixing Nuun with my water at Madison Hut and try to use in at least half the water I use the rest of the day.

The only equipment issue was my headlamp batteries were marginal. My headlamp is a LED so it didn't go out but I should have replaced them prior to hike since I expected to use it.

I do this trip and similar trips as a group leader and am quite familiar with the area and the side trails. I can get below treeline in less than an hour and to a road in 2 1/2 hours from any point on the ridge . Its extremely important that anyone doing this trip to know the bail out routes. When going north to south (the traditional direction) you generally bail to a side trail that heads to your right off the ridgeline, left can be very bad except for when you are within sight of the Mt Washington summit. (do note there are some to the right to be avoided like Great Gully, Kings Ravine and Castle Ravine) I picked up a couple of hikers who bailed off the ridge while backpacking 3 weekends ago and they ended up breaking through 4' deep of rotten snow down in the great gulf. The route they took carried them a couple of hours farther away from the nearest road. (they went left). The downside of going right is its into incoming weather, thus those pushing it when bad weather is coming tend not to want to go that way. I keep an eye to the west and am conservative so its not an issue for me. In winter there are a key set of compass bearings that every hiker should have printed on the back of their compass in case the visibility. goes to zero.

Ultimately when it comes to a hike like this I am a fair weather hiker. I didn't schedule it until early in the week and if the forecast degraded I would do it later. Most folks get in trouble when they plan a trip like this on a hard and fast date and then if the forecast starts to degrade they drive up anyhow and rather than having an alternative like Isolation or the Owl they decide to head up and hope the weather forecast was wrong and then when it does they don't make the decision to bail quickly enough.

Thinspace
06-22-2015, 14:19
Did an abbreviated version of that in 1978 but started at Grey Knob where I had stayed the previous night, skipped some of the summits but exited out via the webster cliff Trail. It was Mid Septmber, the whole range covered in fresh rime ice! Absolutely stunning!

somers515
06-23-2015, 07:36
My brother-in-law and I intend to attempt this traverse in less than 2 weeks. We don't have any intention on trying to do it in one day though! Our plan was to summit Mt. Madison and Mt. Adams on the first day and camp at the RMC Perch. Then the second day we would hike Mt. Jefferson, Washington, Monroe, Eisenhower and Pierce and camp at the Nauman tentsite. We will be carrying 25-30 lb packs and are worried that our plan is a little too ambitious. Can you tell me more about any legal camp spots between Eisenhower and Pierce? I have a non-freestanding tent (which I have practiced setting up on my deck to simulate tent platforms) and my brother-in-law uses a hammock. Does anyone have any better ways to break this traverse up? Our other thought was to start a day earlier in the afternoon, camp at Valley Way tent site and then do the same thing thereby making our day over Madison and Adams easier then if we started at the Appalachia trailhead. After we are done with the traverse we do plan on heading down Crawford Path past the AMC Highland Center and onto the A-Z Trail into the Pemi Wilderness. Any suggestions for us?

peakbagger
06-23-2015, 11:36
Legal campsites between Pierce and Eisenhower are just wide spots in the woods and on open rock faces, they are in the low spot along the ridgeline where the trees are just tall enough to be below treeline. If you head north you cross two generally reliable water sources before the trail goes up on rock ledges and out of the trees. I would treat the water as the trail crosses this water shed above this point.

Yes it is ambitious, you need to break up the second day. An alternative is Perch to the stealth tentsite below treeline on the Jewell trail. This is stealth site, no sign its just a wide spot in the trail with spots up in the surrounding woods. then over to Nauman the next day. Once you hit the summit of Washington, the trail is easier than to the north of Washington. If the forecast is bad, don't do this trip, its full bore exposure and even the Jewell tentsite is nothing I would ever want to be in in thunderstorm as its staring right into the incoming weather.

Slo-go'en
06-23-2015, 12:20
And what happens if you get to one of these quasi legal sites and people are already there? That is a real possibility given the normal summer traffic and with both the SOBO and NOBO thru hikers staring to show up. Just finding a spot open at the Perch is iffy late in the day as it is a very popular location. If the Perch is full you'd have to back track all the way to Gray Knob or Crag Camp. The Nauman tent site also tends to fill up early in the day.

You'd have a better chance of being able to camp mid week. I would not even consider doing this hike on a weekend. You'll be there at about the busiest time of year. I hate to say it, but the best way to do this hike is to spend the big bucks to stay at Madison, Lakes of the Clouds and Mitzpa huts.

somers515
06-23-2015, 13:31
Yes we will definitely keep a close watch on the weather. And I should have mentioned we will be hiking mid week. Thank you both for the posts, very helpful tips.