PDA

View Full Version : Tent footprint worth it?

Taylor
06-21-2015, 20:51
I am making last minute preparations for my SOBO hike starting in July.

I am using a Big Agnes Fly Creek tent. Is purchasing the additional footprint for $70 worth it? It weighs 5oz, alternatively I was hoping to just buy a knock of tyvek type material from a hardware store and cut it slightly smaller than my tent. I was wondering if this would work just as well to preserve the bottom of the tent and help with protection from water or if the specialized footprint is really worth the money.

Thanks!

Lone Wolf
06-21-2015, 22:37
no. i've tented hundreds on nights on the AT. never used a footprint, ground cloth, etc.

garlic08
06-21-2015, 22:54
Neither. The maker of my Tarptent actually has a FAQ about this and they don't recommend a ground cloth at all. I have not used one for my last 10,000 miles of hiking, over 7000 with the same tent, and that tent's floor was pristine when I retired it with guy line problems.

Taylor
06-21-2015, 23:23
Thank you both for the help.

The footprint that goes with the tent is advertised as helping keep the tent dry. However, the tent itself is waterproof so I would assume that should work well enough.

Additionally, I'm assuming the added extra layer would be minimal in increasing overall warmth during cool months?

pauly_j
06-22-2015, 04:06
Do you use an air mattress? Putting a pin-prick hole in a tent floor isn't the end of the world. Putting a pin-prick hole in your air mattress can be.

Singto
06-22-2015, 08:37
Carry an inexpensive ($5) and lightweight (1.5 oz) Polycro ground cloth. Survey your tent site before pitching and maybe don't use it any of the time. Options are important.

colorado_rob
06-22-2015, 08:47
Yeah, I've never used a footprint and never had any problems, thousands of miles of backpacking, 100's of nights. If you must use one (for some reason), go with that polycro Singto mentioned, cut to size (make sure it doesn't stick out from under the tent which would collect water coming off the fly!); half the weight of Tyvek, a two-pack on Gossamer Gear goes for 10 bucks.

http://gossamergear.com/polycryo-ground-cloth-medium.html

Tipi Walter
06-22-2015, 08:56
Do you use an air mattress? Putting a pin-prick hole in a tent floor isn't the end of the world. Putting a pin-prick hole in your air mattress can be.

Exactly. We just had a discussion of this here---
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/111768-Making-a-Groundcloth

Taylor
06-22-2015, 11:35
Thanks for the advice everyone, it is much appreciated... and so is saving the $70!

I am using a closed-cell foam sleeping pad (at least to start off), so no danger of it puncturing.

I will look into the polycro and see if it is worth the added weight, thank you for the suggestion and link.

Slo-go'en
06-22-2015, 11:53
I wouldn't spend $70 on a foot print, but personally I always use a Tyvek ground sheet. It keeps the bottom of the tent clean and by keeping the bottom clean it keeps the rest of the tent clean when you stuff it into it's sack. It also prevents wet ground from seeping through the floor of the tent.

The ground sheet also has other uses. You can use it in shelters which some times have dirty or drafty floors. You can use it to hide under during a thunderstorm. You can use it like a picnic blanket on wet grass while taking a break. Folded up you can use it as a sitting pad.

bigcranky
06-22-2015, 13:01
$70 and 5 oz on a sheet of coated nylon is kind of ridiculous. I've used the same polycro groundsheet from Gossamer Gear for more than 5 years. It weighs about an ounce and a half and was cheap - even cheaper if you buy it a the hardware store and cut your own.

That said, I use the groundsheet for lots of things, but putting it under my tent has never been one of them.

Another Kevin
06-22-2015, 14:14
I bring a piece of Tyvek. I'll put it under my tent if I'm camping on a really abrasive surface (the sandstone in the Catskills can be murder), but it's really for keeping my gear out of the mouse droppings in the unlikely event that I put in at a shelter. It also sometimes gives me a dry place to sit. Most nights, I'm happy in my tent without the Tyvek under the floor.

Singto
06-22-2015, 20:08
Thanks for the advice everyone, it is much appreciated... and so is saving the $70!

I am using a closed-cell foam sleeping pad (at least to start off), so no danger of it puncturing.

I will look into the polycro and see if it is worth the added weight, thank you for the suggestion and link.

A multi-use Polycro footprint at 1.5 ounces is a no-brainer for me. Something at 3 or 4 ounces does get much more scrutiny, especially if it has limited applications.

Taylor
06-22-2015, 20:53
Glad I asked the question and got everyone's input! I purchased the polycro today and it should arrive just in time for the start of my hike. Thanks again all!

greeter
06-22-2015, 23:22
I like the Polycro option. It can do double duty as a rest stop ground cloth so you stay clean and can stretch out for a nap with your shoes off. Its the same stuff used for sealing up and stopping cold drafts on indoor windows, if I am not mistaken.

Deadeye
06-22-2015, 23:23
My Dad carried a rather heavy tarp for a footprint for years. The tarp outlasted the floor, and after 20+ years the tent floor delaminated and the tent was trash. Personally, I'll want a fancy new tent before my old one wears out, so trying to extend it's useful life is ineffective. Unfortunately, my original TarpTent Virga shows no signs of wearing out, and I want a Rainbow!

booney_1
06-23-2015, 10:03
Here's another use for the footprint. Many footprints (Big Agnes Fly Creek also), can be used with just the rainfly. You can save about 1/2 lb by ditching the tent, and using the footprint with the rainfly only. I'd guess you'd need the bug protection for the first half or so of your hike. (This is called fastpacking)

But by the time you hit Virginia, you won't need bug protection. You could mail the tent home for the rest of the hike.

So another question is..."is it worth $70 to save 1/2 lb?" (actually it's $55 at REI)

swisscross
06-23-2015, 10:12
Here's another use for the footprint. Many footprints (Big Agnes Fly Creek also), can be used with just the rainfly. You can save about 1/2 lb by ditching the tent, and using the footprint with the rainfly only. I'd guess you'd need the bug protection for the first half or so of your hike. (This is called fastpacking)

But by the time you hit Virginia, you won't need bug protection. You could mail the tent home for the rest of the hike.

So another question is..."is it worth $70 to save 1/2 lb?" (actually it's $55 at REI)

BA footprints also allow you to set up in fast pack mode and then install the tent under the fly keeping your tent dry if raining.
I bought my BA tent slightly used and it came with the footprint. I have never used it.
Sometime I take a tyvek one depending on weather and ground conditions.
I think some sort of sleeping pad protection should be used if you are planning on staying in shelters.

Namtrag
06-23-2015, 10:52
We used a footprint and still had our air mattresses punctured a couple of weeks ago. We set up our tent at dusk, unknowingly under a tree that had thorns, and a dead branch or two was mixed in the leaves. we woke up in the middle of the night with flat air mattresses. I prefer using a footprint, but now I am not sure it does any good!

I am amazed at how many people don't use them, and say they have hiked for years and never had anything like this happen. I guess we just had really bad luck.

10-K
06-23-2015, 11:25
We used a footprint and still had our air mattresses punctured a couple of weeks ago. We set up our tent at dusk, unknowingly under a tree that had thorns, and a dead branch or two was mixed in the leaves. we woke up in the middle of the night with flat air mattresses. I prefer using a footprint, but now I am not sure it does any good!

I am amazed at how many people don't use them, and say they have hiked for years and never had anything like this happen. I guess we just had really bad luck.

Don't feel bad.. I've never been able to make a polycro groundsheet last more than a week. :)

Same with Dri-Ducks. I've got at least 3 pair that either ripped or suffered zipper failure within a few days. Other hikers report using the same pair since Jimmy Carter was president.

Namtrag
06-23-2015, 11:56
Don't feel bad.. I've never been able to make a polycro groundsheet last more than a week. :)

Same with Dri-Ducks. I've got at least 3 pair that either ripped or suffered zipper failure within a few days. Other hikers report using the same pair since Jimmy Carter was president.

I'm with you, the very first time I wore the cheap Frog Togg rainsuit (I think it was $20 at Walmart), the crotch tore out the first time I squatted. I do however, still use and love the jacket.

Our worry is we haven't been able to find the holes in the floor of our tent, so we haven't made repairs yet!

Coffee
06-23-2015, 12:11
I have found that the Dri Ducks pants are a lot more durable than the jacket. Although I got lots of rips on the pants on the Colorado Trail, it lasted the entire trip with some duct tape. I didn't use the jacket on that trip. On my PCT section, I ended up using both the jacket and the pants. The pants were fine but the jacket zipper broke the second time I used it and I had to do a hackish field repair to make it usable. I never plan to have Dri Ducks last more than a trip. I threw away the suit before flying home. If for no other reason than it stank from sweat and I don't believe it can be machine washed. But at <$20/pair it is a good way to punt on rain gear. I'll eventually own the zPacks rain suit, I'm sure of that. As for ground sheets I really like the ground sheet for my hexamid. It goes on top of the mesh and is removable. I've never felt a need for a second ground sheet. And since it is removable I can use it for cowboy camping or sleeping in shelters or at trail angels like I did at Ziggy & the bear when I didn't want to sleep directly on the outdoor carpet.

Thinspace
07-04-2015, 10:14
My experience on putting anying under a tent floor is that in a heavy rain is if any of it sticks out beyond the footprint of your tent it will guarantee that your tent will end up sitting in a puddle. Maybe this wouldn't be the case if the footprint was made for the specific tent your using but I can't speak to that as I've never used one as such.

HooKooDooKu
07-04-2015, 10:52
I like using a ground cloth for keeping my tent clean and to help protect the bottom of the tent from puncture due to rocks or sharp seeds I've encountered. My main camping place is the GSMNP. Post tent sites are a patch of dirt, and every morning I have moisture under the ground cloth when the leaves all around the tent are dry. With the ground cloth, I can pack my clean tent and the ether hang the ground cloth and try to clean and dry it, or I can fold the wet-dirty side in on itself if I'm in a hurry.

Pedaling Fool
07-04-2015, 11:36
I am making last minute preparations for my SOBO hike starting in July.

I am using a Big Agnes Fly Creek tent. Is purchasing the additional footprint for $70 worth it? It weighs 5oz, alternatively I was hoping to just buy a knock of tyvek type material from a hardware store and cut it slightly smaller than my tent. I was wondering if this would work just as well to preserve the bottom of the tent and help with protection from water or if the specialized footprint is really worth the money.

Thanks!
Not at all worth it IMO. I used a piece of tyvek when I bought my tent, because I thought it would keep it clean. But this is what happens, you now have something else to clean and pack up and when it rains the tent still gets muddy, both on the side from splattering effect and if it rains hard enough it (muddy rain water) will eventually get between the tent and the ground cloth. BTW, I know the argument that a footprint designed for a specific tent won't allow water in between, but that's impossible because it's not vacuum sealed or anything.

Besides it getting dirty on the underside is not an issue, because it's going to get dirty topside anyways, both from various droppings, such as bird crap and also things that drop from the trees -- ain't no foot print going to protect from that. Bottomline, your tent will get dirty, that's just part of camping out in the woods. Nothing to worry about.

You could argue that my tent does have a few pin-sized holes in the bottom, but it's 10 years old and that's to be expected. I just use a little tent repair tape on it and it's good to go. BTW, that repair tape is strong stuff and I even used it to repair a pinhole leak in my water bladder and eight years later it's still working.

Like I said, I do have some pinholes under my tent, but not bad, because the 'bathtub' area of tents are built up more than the other parts of the tent and easy to manage if you do get a little hole. Patching pinhole-size holes in not worth spending $70 bucks, nor is it worth the hassle of packing up a cheap dirty, wet ground cloth.

P.S. I probably have pinholes, not only because my tent is 10 years old, but also because I have a cheap tent ($100 kelty teton 2), I bet more expensive tents last much longer before getting holes in the bathtub.

No foot print, except the built in bathtub

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/9/3/6/p1030579.jpg

Cobble
07-15-2015, 00:10
No.....just no.

bflorac
07-15-2015, 02:30
I carry the footprint. It does help protect and keep try the bottom of the tent. But it also serves as a ground cloth below my air mattress if I stay in a shelter (keeping the splinters and mouse poop off me). I keep it on top of my pack so that it can also serve as a quick shelter during a short storm. Or, if I cowboy camp without a tent...

Rex Clifton
07-15-2015, 11:18
I sprung for the footprint for my BA Flycreek UL2 mainly because I can set up in fast fly mode when its raining and set the tent up after the fly. This keeps the tent alot drier.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

JaketheFake
07-15-2015, 15:22
I bought a tyvek ground sheet... I was thinking about putting grommets in each of the four corners so the sheet could be strung up in an emergency. Is there any reason why I would not want to do this?

Starchild
07-15-2015, 15:58
Never used a footprint on any tent. Only ever had one small puncture and on my most expensive tent made of cuban fiber, fortunately it was permanently field repairable with a small piece of CF tape.

BirdBrain
07-15-2015, 16:06
no. i've tented hundreds on nights on the AT. never used a footprint, ground cloth, etc.

Have to agree with LW. Every time I see this discussion I ask myself what I am missing. Take a few seconds. Brush away the pointy stuff. As with all gear, either carry bombproof heavy or lightweight that you have to be careful with. I vote less weight and a bit more care.

Rex Clifton
07-15-2015, 18:24
Jake: I would buy the footprint, use that as a template for your Tyvek groundsheet, then add the grommets. After which, return the footprint.

JaketheFake
07-15-2015, 19:23
Jake: I would buy the footprint, use that as a template for your Tyvek groundsheet, then add the grommets. After which, return the footprint.

actually, I bought the tyvec ground sheet when I bought my tarp tent.... It was like 10 bucks or so? So I already have it. I am going to doing the grommets and see what help that is.

Sarcasm the elf
07-15-2015, 21:05
Our worry is we haven't been able to find the holes in the floor of our tent, so we haven't made repairs yet!

Namtrag, I just saw this comment. There's an easy solution (even easier with two people):

Setup the tent up at night inside a room in your house and turn it on it's side, if it's freestanding, just hold it up on it's side. Then turn the lights off and aim a flashlight at the floor material from one side and then look for where the light can be seen on the other side, mark the spots where the light shines through and then you've located the pinholes. (This works great for finding holes in flyfishing waders as well)

Namtrag
07-18-2015, 19:15
hey Elf, that's so awesome! We have to clean our tent up from a section hike, and we will try your technique.

MuddyWaters
07-18-2015, 21:37
Groundcloths arent needed to protect tent floors.
They can reduce internal condensation, by reducing moisture vapor diffusion thru the tent floor

My maps, ziplocks, raingear, etc go under xlite to guard against punctures.

Del Q
07-19-2015, 07:23
Not needed, wasted weight.

Depending on the tenting site, I try to scrape up leaves (pull all sticks out afterwards which also serves as a nice end-of-the-day stretch.........or pine needles, in the cold weather 6+ inches thick.

Works great. In the morning return the area to the way it was as if I was never there.

beebessd
07-20-2015, 08:01
I used one of those relective emergency "blankets" as a ground cloth. Or you could use a disposable plastic poncho. Both are lighter and cheaper than the footprint. My emergency blanket was durable and lasted for my 1500mile hike and a year afterwards.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

bgillomega
07-20-2015, 10:31
Tyvek can be found by the foot on ebay. It's probably cheaper than the hardware store as you get only what you need.

time4change
08-02-2015, 20:08
I got lucky and got mine at a REI garage sale for $20. I plan on taking mine with me in case I want to ditch the tent later on and just do a tarp tent with my rainfly and foot print. If you think you might want to ditch the tent on hot nights, then it may be worth your while.