PDA

View Full Version : Rescue/Evacuation Insurance

Vegan Packer
06-22-2015, 15:10
For those that hike in more remote places, do you carry insurance in case you are in an area where you require evacuation due to a severe injury? Any suggestion for a particular plan that is out there?

I am in the process of retiring as a scuba instructor, and for diving there is insurance available for dive-related injuries, and this also includes evacuation. I am looking for something similar.

Thanks.

Another Kevin
06-22-2015, 15:40
If you're talking about the A-T in particular, if your regular health insurance will cover an ambulance ride, buy a NH Hike Safe card and you're fairly well set. NH is the only place on the A-T that charges subjects for wilderness evacuation.

If you're talking about going farther afield, American Alpine Club is probably the best deal for rescue service insurance, and it's still not great, but to quote their web site, "the insurance industry has decided that only deranged lunatics climb." And it's amazing how far some of the exclusions run on some policies. I'm not a terribly adventurous hiker, but some of what I do would qualify as "extreme" in some group policies: going off trail, or using any technical gear (ice axe and crampons count!). It looks as if helicopter evacuation insurance is about $10/month through American Alpine Club.

peakbagger
06-22-2015, 18:44
I have a medical evac card through my company from Medjet Assist, its not rescue insurance but once you get out of the woods they make sure you either get directed to qualified local treatment for the small stuff or a ride home on either commercial or specialized plane with a companion. They also have a bunch of subsidiary services that add some value. Our company does a lot of international work in fairly remote locations and their research is that this is the best plan out there. Do note the plan exclude countries on recognized watch lists so if someone is into sketchy third world countries with wars going on it best to ask.

MuddyWaters
06-22-2015, 18:54
Not usually.
SAR is free, most of the time, unless you are negligent in a state that has laws against that.
Medivac, is where the costs come in, like $900 a minute for a helicopter . But, good health insurance usually pays IF it is necessary.
If they take you past the trailhead where you can be switched to ground ambulance, it better be life threatening or they wont pay the rest.

There are regional air-ambulances that you can "join" for a nominal fee where you wont be charged if they medivac you. not often that you can depend on being in a single companies zone though.

Rescue insurance.... mostly a scam. Weasel words, they have to direct the rescue. News flash, they dont, SAR does, and the SAR is free anyway.

Travellers insurance. covers all. Downside, $$$ you can pay hundreds to be covered for the duration of a hike, more than anyone wants to pay.

Vegan Packer
06-22-2015, 23:12
I have a medical evac card through my company from Medjet Assist, its not rescue insurance but once you get out of the woods they make sure you either get directed to qualified local treatment for the small stuff or a ride home on either commercial or specialized plane with a companion.

I currently have insurance from Divers Alert Network. In addition to dive accidents, they also cover medical evacuation from land in remote areas. I am quite familiar with their operation in terms of scuba accidents, but I don't know much about what they cover on land, so I called to discuss scenarios with them.

The issue with this kind of insurance is that they will only evacuate from locations that allow helicopter or jet landings. So, if I am seriously injured in a place where they can't land, they don't cover the rescue to deliver me to that point. I don't know if there is some kind of insurance on the market that will cover this gap, which is why I brought up the original post. I know that SAR is often free, but these days, if you get into a car accident that requires Fire Rescue to take you from an accident scene to a hospital, you get a bill, so I don't know if things are changing with SAR, too.

Vegan Packer
06-23-2015, 02:15
Here's (http://www.backpacker.com/news-and-events/news/rescue-of-the-week/paying-for-wilderness-search-and-rescue-private-cost-or-public-obligation/) an article from Backpacker Magazine on the topic. The article mentions the trend: "people are starting to get billed."

They mention the American Alpine/Global Rescue programs and one from Geos Alliance, which is affiliated with Spot tracking devices. I am going to study this, and if I find anything noteworthy, I'll add it as an additional post. However, there are some common themes emerging at this early stage of my investigation.

At first glance, all of these plans seem to require that you contact these entities first, and then they do the coordination of the evacuation. I have nothing against this concept, but I can't see this working very well where I can't communicate with the plan directors to trigger the system. (I carry an older style PLB that will send of a distress via Satellite, and then it provides a local homing signal for searchers when they get into the vicinity, but I can't send messages with the device. I don't want to buy yet another piece of equipment, just so I can send the emergency texts that would seem to work with this system.) Sure, if I have cell service, that would be great, and I would be sure to try to work with that, but I can't bank on that.

I am looking for a policy that will pay for SAR bills resulting from services needed in the event that I become severely injured enough to resort to using my PLB, and without having to first contact the service to get authorization, so to speak. Is there anything like that out there?

Offshore
06-23-2015, 05:46
I added the GEOS member benefit to my SPOT service plan. $18 for $100K of coverage.

MuddyWaters
06-23-2015, 15:57
I am looking for a policy that will pay for SAR bills resulting from services needed in the event that I become severely injured enough to resort to using my PLB, and without having to first contact the service to get authorization, so to speak. Is there anything like that out there?
No.

SAR is free usually. Government agencies.

Air ambulance is $$$$$. Its private contractors.

If you dont have GOOD medical insurance, you could face $40,000
This has bankrupted people

Travelers insurance covering everything, transport, hospitalization,etc can be purchased for any trip, online, from major insurance companies.
Its not cheap. Expect several hundred dollars.

You get what you pay for.

Best advice, dont go afield if not healthy, be cautious and careful, and have good health insurance.