PDA

View Full Version : Advise, suggestions please.

crocs
06-22-2015, 15:38
My 11 yr old daughter and I want to attempt a section hike on the AT. We have about 2 weeks to complete our hike. I would like to end out hike in Harpers Ferry. So I think we can average around 15 miles per day. That would put us starting around Buena Vista or even Crabtree Falls Campground. So here are my questions..... Is that section of the AT conducive to the ability of an 11 yr old? (she is very athletic) Next, we will be driving from Michigan so what will be my options for return transportation from Harpers Ferry to our starting point? Thanks for any info.

Tuckahoe
06-22-2015, 16:05
I recently took a 15 year old on their first hike ever and I planned 8 miles a day. You know your daughter better than anyone else, but I would plan and prepare for less and be happy when you comfortably hike more.

This link will get you to a list of shuttles -- http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/parking-shuttles-transportation

I would suggest making arrangements to park at the Harpers Ferry NPS visitor center and I have gotten shuttled by Mark "Strings" Cusic.

Cuacoatchoo
06-22-2015, 16:22
That section of the AT isn't too bad but it's no cakewalk eithet. When you say you think she can do 15 mpd does that mean you've done that with her before? On a day hike? What about multiple days. Forum hikers are the fastest in the world. The majority of the adult hikers I encounter only do 10 a day.

I didn't add up your distance but just double checking if you gave yourself some wriggle room for a resupply day or 2? There are some nice detours along this section. If you're not sure about pace you can plan it shorter but mark off some interesting side trips for yourself. Lots of waterfalls off the AT that alot of people skip

TNhiker
06-22-2015, 16:26
So I think we can average around 15 miles per day

as others have noted-----thinking you can average 15 mpd and actually doing 15 mpd are two separate things...

my thoughts-----your daughter is going to hate you for a really long time with this mileage..............

Wyoming
06-22-2015, 16:50
Two weeks at 15 mpd is 210 miles or 105 miles a week. How many miles a week is your daughters hiking now? You? If you answer anything under 50 for each of you (and that is with a pack like you would be carrying) then I suggest whom ever does not meet that standard is not in good enough shape to do what you are planning. Most beginning adult thru hikers leaving Springer hike less than 100 miles in their first week on trail. Can you carry both your pack and hers if she reaches her limit?

Don't forget that to hike 100 miles in a week requires that you have built up proper callus's on your feet in addition to the leg muscles and lung capacity to carry the pack and get up the hills.

Only you can really answer the questions, but I would suggest you error on the side of caution here. If you do this and you are wrong and make her miserable for 2 weeks she will just probably never be willing to do this again.

I must admit my first reaction was OMG.

HooKooDooKu
06-22-2015, 17:28
My 11 yr old daughter and I want to attempt a section hike on the AT....I think we can average around 15 miles per day...
I'm going to pile on at this point...
My boys have been hiking with me since they were 6-7yo. They are now almost 9yo and 13yo. We're only upto about 10mpd.
Of course every child is different... but if are planning a 2 week hike with an 11yo and plan to do 15mpd, then she better already be experienced at hiking 15mpd.

I think a realistic distance for an average child that age is going to be 8 to 10 mpd.
But hey... if experience tells you that your daughter is not average and can actually handle 15mpd, great for her!

One other thing... I see that you're located in Michigan. If your daughter is used to hiking 15mpd in the relatively flat land of Michigan, you might find that that distance quickly drops to the 'average' distances I've mentioned above when you get into the mountainous terrain you're going to experience on the AT. My estimates come from my experience hiking myself with various friends and family in the Great Smoky Mountains.

crocs
06-22-2015, 17:29
We are doing 10 miles a day... 4 days a week w/packs. Now that is on pretty even ground. I do not intend to push her at all.... that is not even a thought. 15 miles per day may be a bit out of reach after reading everyone's posts. I much rather hike 100 miles and have her want to go farther than 200 miles and her never to want to strap on a pack again. I will do some more research for a starting point.

Wolf - 23000
06-22-2015, 19:48
crocs,

Have you consider hiking North from Harpers Ferry? Maybe hike up to Boiling Springs, PA. It about 100 miles of fairly easy walking, some rocks but nothing to bad, follow by Duncannon, PA about another 25 miles farther. Duncannon is right by Harrisburg, PA and public transportation. Another 45 miles is 501 Bethel, PA. Bethel, PA does have a shuttle option that you maybe able to use as an option back to your car.

It not hard hiking and if your daughter feels she needs to get off the trail, there are more options available this way.

Wolf

bigcranky
06-22-2015, 19:52
When do you want to do this hike? This summer? It'll be very hot anywhere south of Vermont. You could do a really nice 104 mile section of the AT/LT in southern Vermont in ten days, starting in North Adams, MA, and ending at The Inn at Long Trail. Do a resupply in Manchester Center halfway through - makes a great trip in July.

If you have to hike in Virginia, do the length of Shenandoah NP, it's ~100 miles. Very pleasant, decent terrain, some good views, cold drinks at the camp stores and waysides.

15 mpd is a lot to ask of an 11 year old to start. :)

MuddyWaters
06-22-2015, 20:25
My 11 yr old daughter and I want to attempt a section hike on the AT. We have about 2 weeks to complete our hike. I would like to end out hike in Harpers Ferry. So I think we can average around 15 miles per day. That would put us starting around Buena Vista or even Crabtree Falls Campground. So here are my questions..... Is that section of the AT conducive to the ability of an 11 yr old? (she is very athletic) Next, we will be driving from Michigan so what will be my options for return transportation from Harpers Ferry to our starting point? Thanks for any info.

My sons first trip at 11yo in strenuous terrain was 27 miles in 47 hrs with constantly wet feet, and fever.
His first AT trip at 12yo was 43 miles in 2.5 days.
If you have baseweights in the ~10 lb range, it can be done if you are both in good shape, run, play sports, etc. Especially YOU since YOU will carry most of the weight.
If not, dont consider it. Plan for less.

Slo-go'en
06-22-2015, 21:13
Waynesboro to Harpers Ferry would be a more realistic hike for 2 weeks but you'd probably be better off just planing on hiking the SNP. The section north of Front Royal to Harpers Ferry is a real ball buster, especially in summer weather.

crocs
06-22-2015, 22:01
Big Cranky, I like the idea of hiking in VT. The northeast is my favorite part of the country. Could you give me some more detailed info about that area?

Fredt4
06-23-2015, 01:38
Just pick a starting point a start the hike. You'll soon know you're pace. Know where your bailout points are and don't worry about the miles. If you haven't done many consecutive days on a trail before plan on a couple of R&R at various points to recover and refresh. There's plenty of transportation options along the trail as you're never that far from civilization.

gsingjane
06-23-2015, 09:01
One thing I was also thinking about, which I haven't seen mentioned here, is how different it is when you are camping every night versus day hiking. The two factors that come into play on a trip, that don't at all when day-hiking, are sleep deprivation and nutrition. I know everybody is different and there are plenty of folks who sleep like a baby on the trail, and eat incredibly nutritious trail food, but the reality for a lot of us is, we aren't getting good sleep every night and we're also not eating nearly as well as we do at home. The fact that these two important elements are often missing is one reason you might see so many people having doubts about a 15 mile a day target. I find that my physical abilities do tend to deteriorate somewhat simply because I'm not getting good sleep and I'm not eating well... now you will also "hike yourself into shape" after a while and that helps, but especially at first it's important to go easy on yourself, and your daughter. (And I do say this as someone who has taken not only her own 11 year old, but many other people's 11 year olds, out as well).

Jane

bigcranky
06-23-2015, 10:31
Big Cranky, I like the idea of hiking in VT. The northeast is my favorite part of the country. Could you give me some more detailed info about that area?

Our Long Trail E2E journal is linked below. It has our journal entries, plus logistical information.

The AT and the Long Trail coincide from the MA/VT border to The Inn at Long Trail at Rt. 4. It's 104 miles, makes a great ~10 day hike. You could leave a car at the Inn and get a shuttle, it's less than 2 hours drive time; about 80 miles. Or leave your car in North Adams and take bus service from Rutland back to the car. Depends how adventurous you feel :)

Plan to spend a night at the Inn. It's worthwhile, especially if you like draught Guinness, or Irish music on weekend nights.