PDA

View Full Version : Plausibility of thru hiking over a college summer?

dicaeopolis
06-22-2015, 22:09
Heyo, I've recently graduated high school and am hoping to thru hike NOBO in 2016 or 2017. My university's summer goes from early-mid May through the beginning of September, giving me about 3.5 months. I could probably sweet-talk my way into an extra week or two by taking finals early, but I can still only count on about 4 months of trail time.

My dad (a man of much experience and 0 bull****) is assuring me that I could do the whole trail without taking a spring semester off. However, everything I've read online is telling me that I'd need at least 5 months. I'm a fast hiker (varsity rower, and been hiking and backpacking regularly in the Whites since I was a wee one), but the time discrepancy between my dad's advice and the internet's advice seems a little worrisome, and I don't want to end up doing this halfway. Has anyone managed it between years of college? If so, any and all advice is welcome.

Just Bill
06-22-2015, 22:22
Quite do-able. But before you get too far.
Why don't you give the Connecticut section a go and see how you do?
Plenty of people who do it over two college summers and have a fine time.
Nobody who does it without a bit of experience first though. Sneak a week or two in this summer- it will be much more rewarding than banging your head against the keyboard reading the internet... especially for a question only you can answer for yourself.

For fun- Joey Camps first thru-hike (of any long distance trail) took him 57 days. If you double that you'd be done in durn near 3.5 months.

Garlic08 on this site- did roughly that pace IIRC- at at about 2.5 times your age. He'd be a good example to look to.

garlic08
06-22-2015, 22:41
Yep, I hiked the AT in 106 days just hiking my normal pace (20 miles per day), but the AT was not my first rodeo, as we say out West. It's definitely do-able and it helps a lot if you have some long trail experience. Having the right gear and clothing, keeping going in adverse weather, and staying healthy and well fed with minimum time in town are important aspects beyond just walking. The combined age of my hiking partner and me was 114 years, so we had some experience between us.

Siestita
06-22-2015, 23:10
The pertinent question is not< "Can anyone thru hike the AT in three months?" but rather, "Would such a hike make sense for you?"

Why not start a week or so from now, going NOBO from Springer in order to complete about 40% of the trail this summer? Then, return to the trail next year to do the remainder. No one in the hiking community, at the university you will attend, nor in the world at large will look down on you for "merely" backpacking 800 miles this year and then doing "just" 1400 a year later. Spreading the hike over the course of two seasons would enable you to experience long distance hiking and the entire AT, with much more likelihood that you will manage to achieve your goal of reaching Katadin.

A three month AT thru thru hike would mean averaging 24 miles per day, without any low mileage or zero days to give your body rest. Many people, perhaps most, would find such a pace very difficult to physically sustain. Arguably,at this point in your life, how much you enjoy the hike will be more important than simply setting high, perhaps excessive daily mileage goals. Your hike be a success if upon finishing it you are eager to to undertake similar ventures in the future. That is more like to occur if you either hike the AT over the course two summers, or take semester off from college to do a five month thru hike.

You described your father as "very experienced". Is he, by chance, one of the relatively few people who have managed to thru hiked the AT in just three months? As someone who has spent the past 37 years doing college teach, I understand your dad's reluctance to have you take a semester off from school to thru-hike the AT. And, walking for days or weeks thru cold, continuous rain can be discouraging. This matters because that late winter weather (March and April in the southern mountains) can derail thru hike attempts. So, why not instead devote two summers to your AT adventure?

Have you ever been to "The Gathering" of members of the Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association (ALDA)? That event takes place each fall, sometimes in New England. Those folks all love to hike and respect the experience that has been obtained by others who have walked substantial distances. But, they make no distinction between those have thru hiked the AT, people who have section hiked it all, and others still on the journey.

Dogwood
06-23-2015, 02:55
Explain your desire of needing to attempt the AT as a thru-hike? Why specifically a thru-hike? Could you accomplish the AT in a just as worthy and recognizable fashion as two long cherry picked summer time AT hikes? possibly coinciding with start/finish dates with the thru-hiker bubble IF that is your goal - AT thru-hiker sociability/camaraderie?

Dogwood
06-23-2015, 03:11
CONSIDER, about 90% of those claiming to be attempting AT thru-hikes don't complete their original goal. Why? Many reasons for sure but is it fair to say a very good portion of these 90% would have been better off from the get go planning section hikes instead? Think about this! In hindsight, did not those 90% wind up doing AT section hikes anyhow? AND, of those 90% who attempted AT thru-hikes but failed to reach that goal what % do you estimate return to the AT to re attempt an AT thru-hike completing that goal or complete the remainder of their AT miles? As someone who researches these answers the statistics indicate less than 1/3 of those 90% return to complete all the AT. It makes me realize the goal of experiencing all of the AT was never their intent! They wanted the experience of something else perhaps romanticized by the allure of another trophy, medal, or diploma yet never realized.

rickb
06-23-2015, 07:21
A few thoughts.

1. People hike the trail at different paces. I have no doubt that Garlic had an excellent hike over his 106 days, and that pace was right for him. But having to hike a relatively fast hike is different than looking back on one. Knowing you must meet a relatively aggressive deadline from day one changes everything.

2. In any population there will be outliers who are better, faster, luckier ,stronger and smarter on any task. There will even some who are lottery winners. Just because they are easy to identify does not mean it is so easy for a random person to emulate their success.

3. Luck/fate play a role in everything. This is not to minimize hard work and determination, of course.

4. Past performance is a predictor of future success. Hiking hard and alone is different from other physical and mental challenges. Even one or two weeks (next week) of experience could help focus one's thinking.

5. A relatively fast hike requires more than just extra physical effort, or bypassing some luxuries along the way. It will limit who you hike with, and the circle of friends you create. Others can speak to the extent of that dynamic better than me. It matters.

6. Most people leave the Trail earlier than expected. As distasteful and as this reality may seem, contemplating a plan B for each of your starting scenarios might make sence.

7. A southbounder would need to take the Fall semester off-- if they made it that far -- but could go back to fun in the dorm rather than McDonald's if they didn't.

8. This post (like most) was driven by just one person's experience, fears, and hubris. In the end, just do what you want. Even if it is not the "right" decision, it will be the RIGHT decision. Don't let anyone complicate or muddle things up to the point you hesitate. Make your plan and follow it thru. Whatever you choose will be perfect. Just so long as you GO!

Turk6177
06-23-2015, 07:48
I would hike as far as you can and finish it when you can. The trail will always be there.

Coffee
06-23-2015, 07:57
Dogwood makes some excellent points. In general the idea of a thru hike is very appealing to many including to me. But attempting to fit a thru hike into a lifestyle that can't really allow it could backfire. I hiked to about mile 850 on the PCT and probably did at least 900 due to side trips and backtracking before I went home for a variety of reasons, none of which were related to not liking the trail or health (I wish I was on trail now). And I feel like I failed whereas I would have felt great success at a 900 mile walk had I set out to do that in the first place. Everyone is different. The accomplishment of a thru hike is something I respect and aspire to someday but if life circumstances dictate section or chunk hiking make lemons out of lemonade and optimize the season of the hike in a way that you can't on a thru. Part of me wants to start from Campo again next year but more likely I'll pick up where I left off and hike to southern Oregon, and then do the rest in 2017. Likewise with the AT, I'm probably going to eventually split it in two rather than hike it all at once.

canoe
06-23-2015, 09:28
It is possible for you to do it but everything would have to line up perfect. Not sure what your budget is but if you are wanting to get it done in the same year you could hike sections near where you go to school(knock out several sections on winter break, spring break and fall break) then on summer break you can do most of the trail then without having to rush and having to meet the deadline. Just a thought.

Wülfgang
06-23-2015, 13:00
Dogwood makes some excellent points. In general the idea of a thru hike is very appealing to many including to me. But attempting to fit a thru hike into a lifestyle that can't really allow it could backfire. I hiked to about mile 850 on the PCT and probably did at least 900 due to side trips and backtracking before I went home for a variety of reasons, none of which were related to not liking the trail or health (I wish I was on trail now). And I feel like I failed whereas I would have felt great success at a 900 mile walk had I set out to do that in the first place. Everyone is different. The accomplishment of a thru hike is something I respect and aspire to someday but if life circumstances dictate section or chunk hiking make lemons out of lemonade and optimize the season of the hike in a way that you can't on a thru. Part of me wants to start from Campo again next year but more likely I'll pick up where I left off and hike to southern Oregon, and then do the rest in 2017. Likewise with the AT, I'm probably going to eventually split it in two rather than hike it all at once.

There is something romantic and entreating about the notion of hiking something end-to-end. But I think it's easy to get caught up in the notion that thru-hiking is the only validated, legitimate way to hike a long trail.

Like Tipi Walter says, the desire to go out and sleep in the woods is a relative rarity in American culture, much less do it day after day, night after night. Just getting out there and logging a few miles and a bag night is commendable and fulfilling, albeit in a smaller dose.

The reality is, despite the selection bias here on WB, the vast majority of wannabe thru-hikers just cant take 4-5 months off of 'normal' life responsibilities and piece together the necessary moving parts to do a thru-hike, regardless of their ability or level of desire. If you gave me the option of NEVER doing a thru-hike but getting out there for a lifetime of sections or long weekends; versus doing a thru-hike and never hiking again, I'd pick option 1 in a heartbeat.

ki0eh
06-23-2015, 14:01
You could do some month-or-so-long trails (such as VT's Long Trail, and PA's Mid State Trail) and be both a thru and meet time constraints.

Water Rat
06-23-2015, 14:15
Heyo, I've recently graduated high school and am hoping to thru hike NOBO in 2016 or 2017. My university's summer goes from early-mid May through the beginning of September, giving me about 3.5 months. I could probably sweet-talk my way into an extra week or two by taking finals early, but I can still only count on about 4 months of trail time.

My dad (a man of much experience and 0 bull****) is assuring me that I could do the whole trail without taking a spring semester off. However, everything I've read online is telling me that I'd need at least 5 months. I'm a fast hiker (varsity rower, and been hiking and backpacking regularly in the Whites since I was a wee one), but the time discrepancy between my dad's advice and the internet's advice seems a little worrisome, and I don't want to end up doing this halfway. Has anyone managed it between years of college? If so, any and all advice is welcome.

I did post an answer on your other thread, but wanted to add a more specific answer to this post.

With no disrespect meant for your father - He is not the one who would be hiking the trail. His opinion is valid to a certain extent (you are probably an awesome athlete and have done great on your hikes/backpacking trips), but there is a huge difference between being athletic for short periods of time and hiking for months on end. Until you know how you would do with longer backpacking trips, there really is no way of knowing whether or not you would physically & mentally be able to do this hike over summer vacation.

However, there is a pretty easy way to get a better idea of what the answer is for you. I recommend taking 2-4 weeks this summer and taking a backpacking trip by yourself. Doesn't matter where on the trail. The point is to figure out how your body and mind respond to changes in weather, hiking day after day, how your body physically responds to hiking when sore, how your mind responds when dealing with all that goes along with long distance hiking. Take notes along the way.

Use this shorter trip to see if a fast hike is really realistic for you, or even what you want to do. At this point there is no pressure to take time off school and you do have time to figure it out, or figure out an alternate answer that works for you. Your notes will also help you to figure out if there is anything you need to do different (gear, workouts, figuring out logistics for a longer hike) and will most likely make a longer backpacking trip a lot more enjoyable. You can only get so much information from the Internet.... and what works for one person, doesn't mean it will necessarily work for you.

My advice is to get out there and hit the trail for a shorter hike (for now). You should be able to get enough information to answer the thru-hike question for yourself. :) Good luck!

Spirit Walker
06-23-2015, 21:34
It may be possible for you to hike the whole trail in one summer, but would it be fun? Is it the kind of hike you want? Really, only you can answer that. And the best way to know, as others have said, is to go out for a few weeks this summer. Try hiking all day every day, with little or no time spent in towns along the way. See whether you enjoy it. Some people love the challenge of doing 25 mile days. For others it starts feeling like a death march very quickly. The only way to know is to try it and see how you like it.

Singto
06-24-2015, 06:46
My initial excitement of such a life changing event as thru hiking the Appalachian Trail subsided greatly when I actually thought about the costs and sacrifices verses the benefits. Did I really want to give up 6 months of income, free housing, displace my wife and dog and possibly lose my job just because I wanted to be able to say that I thru hiked the AT instead of eventually (hopefully) being able to say that I've hiked the whole AT? Quite simply, no. And there was no guarantee that after getting everything in place, uprooting my wife and dog, and losing income that I wouldn't fall short due to injury, sickness, loss of willpower or a family emergency sometime during the hike. I'm still planning on an AT hike, probably a 3-4 week hike this year to get my feet wet on the AT, test my equipment, test my body and test my willpower. All the while, I will retain my position, lose no income and have some time to spend with my extended family whom I only see one time a years as it is. It's in proper perspective now.

Deacon
06-24-2015, 06:56
You are one of few that truly makes a wise observation and decision.

Odd Man Out
06-24-2015, 15:41
You are one of few that truly makes a wise observation and decision.

How about hiking from Harper's Ferry to Springer one summer and Harper's Ferry to Katahdin the next? Then you won't need to rush.

dicaeopolis
06-24-2015, 21:58
You described your father as "very experienced". Is he, by chance, one of the relatively few people who have managed to thru hiked the AT in just three months? As someone who has spent the past 37 years doing college teach, I understand your dad's reluctance to have you take a semester off from school to thru-hike the AT. And, walking for days or weeks thru cold, continuous rain can be discouraging. This matters because that late winter weather (March and April in the southern mountains) can derail thru hike attempts. So, why not instead devote two summers to your AT adventure?

Quoting your response in particular, but quite a few people brought up the idea that I section hike instead. The fact of the matter is that I work all summer every summer, and I really don't think I could afford to skip work for two years running, especially when I'll be cleaning out my savings account to fund the trip in the first place. And I'm anxious to do this in the next few years because later in college I'll be looking at summer internships and once I've graduated time and money will be in even shorter supply than they are now.

My dad has hiked and backpacked throughout New England and occasionally Colorado for his entire life, including ~25 years leading trips as the scoutmaster of a Boy Scout troop, and is a member of the 4000 footers club which is no mean feat. But he's never thru hiked, hence me asking here for more experienced opinions.

I do have two weeks off between work and the beginning of school this August, and based on what you all have said I think the best course of action right now would be to do a week-and-a-half-long hike in Maine and use that knowledge to proceed further. Thanks all for your responses.

Dogwood
06-24-2015, 22:27
To clarify, I never suggested what YOU should do. I suggested you consider some things including fully exploring options in the context of pros and cons. It's your hike and you know yourself the best. But, I think others and myself know a few things about the AT and specifically completing AT and other long trail thru-hikes. Throw out all that we say if you want but it might be wise to at least consider these things to some degree.

Allow me further to clarify my question posted in #5, "explain your desire of needing to attempt the AT as a thru-hike? Why specifically a thru-hike?" I wanted to gain a perspective on your HEART'S motivation to thru-hike the AT. You have not answered that yet. This is only a logistical consideration of your itinerary not really your heart speaking: "The fact of the matter is that I work all summer every summer, and I really don't think I could afford to skip work for two years running, especially when I'll be cleaning out my savings account to fund the trip in the first place. And I'm anxious to do this in the next few years because later in college I'll be looking at summer internships and once I've graduated time and money will be in even shorter supply than they are now." :)

mattjv89
06-25-2015, 08:57
... especially when I'll be cleaning out my savings account to fund the trip in the first place.

I wouldn't recommend doing this although it is very popular among hikers my age. I could have thru hiked last year and probably swung the entire trip but would have finished flat broke, by waiting till this year I've got a few months living expenses to cushion me during the job search. I suppose your situation is a little different since you would be returning to school, but watching that number dwindle down to zero the closer you get to Maine could add another element of stress to the hike.

dicaeopolis
06-25-2015, 18:27
...Allow me further to clarify my question posted in #5, "explain your desire of needing to attempt the AT as a thru-hike? Why specifically a thru-hike?" I wanted to gain a perspective on your HEART'S motivation to thru-hike the AT. You have not answered that yet. This is only a logistical consideration of your itinerary not really your heart speaking...

In my case, it's very much about the challenge of the matter. Section hiking is a lot more realistic, but it wouldn't feel like as much of an accomplishment for me.

Unfortunately, logistical considerations tend to take precedence over that in the first place anyway.

Dogwood
06-25-2015, 22:51
In my case, it's very much about the challenge of the matter. Section hiking is a lot more realistic, but it wouldn't feel like as much of an accomplishment for me.

Unfortunately, logistical considerations tend to take precedence over that in the first place anyway.

Based on your opening remarks I sensed you were accomplishment oriented. It takes one to know one. Your life as you've briefly described a couple aspects of it alludes to this. The larger the perceived trophy the greater the perceived accomplishment so the thought often goes.

I am also highly goal(accomplishment) oriented participating in organized competitive sports on the H.S., university, and semi pro level in two different sports. I've obtained two B.S. and one Masters degree. In biz as once owner of several companies I was likewise. Blah blah blah. I know where you are coming from.

Let me share. Please bare with me and consider. There's a pt in where I'm going. I'm mainly a thru-hiker when I hike. I thrive on walking for many wks at a time. Even as a six yr old I wandered off on long walk a bouts. I have always sought out adventure and exploration. I am intrigued by the unknown, what's around the next corner. Deserts, mountains, coastlines, swamps, snow covered tundra, - let's go. I was never enthralled with the indoors, TV, or the Internet. Rain- I'm going running. Snow - I'll learn to snowboard. Cold - lets go ice skating. There's a side of me that thrives on rising to all manner of challenges. I enjoy constantly new places and cultures, more different than what I'm currently experiencing the better. I have the heart of a traveler. I treat long distance backpacking as another traveling experience. For much of life I've been extremely tolerant and flexible able to expand my comfort zone repeatedly. I have to connect with Nature in environments with minimal human impact. I can only stand BIG cities for so long until the sky, mountains, forests and sea call. I'm a passionate Landscape Architect and Horticulturalist(plant geek) largely practicing my craft in the outdoors. Physical, mental, and spiritual health and fitness are my life priorities. Environmental responsibility is another of my priorities.

When it comes to me backpacking long distances yes I'm aware of my accomplishments but by sharing what I have I sincerely hope you recognize that is not THE ONLY reason I thru-hike. Many other aspects of who I am, what I do, what my goals are, what I wish to contribute, what I want to become, etc. translate well to long distance backpacking.

These types of aspects are what I would hope you would have shared in greater detail when I asked, "explain your desire to attempt the AT as a thru-hike?"

Most of all my sincere hope for you is not that you accomplish an AT thru-hike but allow the AT into your heart into your soul no matter what your approach to hiking the AT. Now, that would be an accomplishment!

As a gift to you I would like to send you some of the AT Trail Journal mags I've saved that include stories of how not only AT thru-hikers but all types of AT hikers have allowed the AT into their hearts and souls. I sincerely hope these moving life changing stories move you as much as they have moved me.

Feel free to provide me with your address in a personal Email or private message. :)