PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Silicone with Turpintine instead of Mineral Spirits?

denimlabels
06-23-2015, 19:58
Well I bought a new tent for this summer and fall and its nice and all but it needs to be seam sealed. I went to the Home Depot today and bought a Tube of GE Clear Silicone. Its my understanding that this silicone gets mixed around 5/1 and applied.

But guess what? Im so damn cheap at this moment that I dont feel like buying a $10 can of mineral spirits I will never use. Will turpentine, or Xylene work instead?:confused:

Franco
06-24-2015, 03:36
If it is mineral turpentine, (that is : not the vegetable nor the low odor type) yes , that is what I use.
A test could be just to put a small blob of silicone in the intended mixing vessel (a tuna can mostly for me) add a small amount of that turpentine (say 1/10th..) mix, add a bit more and keep mixing.
If you get a nice even dilution (will look a bit like thick olive oil) it will do the job.
If it separates, it will not work.

denimlabels
06-24-2015, 12:33
Thank for that... It looks like I wont be seam sealing it after all. I am going to go with a different tent. The LHG Solo is gonna be a bit too small around the feet for my liking. I like practicing Kung-fu while I sleep.

Slo-go'en
06-24-2015, 12:53
For what you spent on the tube of silicon, you could have bought a tube of real Seamsealer which I find does a much better job then the DIY stuff. It's really hard to get the mixture just right and to have it stick for any length of time. YMMV. With the amount of money a good tent costs, why screw around?

Rex Clifton
06-24-2015, 13:02
Really, you're returning the tent because you too tight to buy a can of paint thinner? And I thought I was cheap!

denimlabels
06-24-2015, 13:53
Slow down there Cowboy. Who said anything about returning a tent? Don't get your panties in a wad.

And by the way...its not a matter of being too cheap. Im not going to buy 5 tubes of 2 oz. silicone from an Outfitter for 7 bucks a pop when I can do the same thing myself for under $10 and learn how to do it in the process.

CalebJ
06-24-2015, 14:01
Why 5 tubes?

10-K
06-24-2015, 14:05
You've went this far.. Splurge on some mineral spirits. :)

If you know a painter you might even be able to yogi a cup....

denimlabels
06-24-2015, 14:07
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

denimlabels
06-24-2015, 14:17
1. I am NOT returning the above mentioned tent.

2. The tent is too small for my needs, therefore I have no reason to seam seal it at this point.

3. It has been confirmed in the last 24 hours that use of regular TURPENTINE , can be used in place of MINERAL SPIRITS when mixing your own seam sealer for 1/20th the cost.

4. Thank you. Enjoy your hike.

Franco
06-24-2015, 18:51
Denimlabels,
I have personally done over 200 tents, both with silicone and with PU (silicone for silnylon, PU (Seam Grip) for most other fabrics.
If you do the silnylon type as illustrated on the Tarptent site (video) it will not peel off.
At Tarptent USA they do several hundred per year like that...

MuddyWaters
06-24-2015, 18:51
1. I am NOT returning the above mentioned tent.

2. The tent is too small for my needs, therefore I have no reason to seam seal it at this point.

3. It has been confirmed in the last 24 hours that use of regular TURPENTINE , can be used in place of MINERAL SPIRITS when mixing your own seam sealer for 1/20th the cost.

4. Thank you. Enjoy your hike.

It might work fine.
I think turpentine has much more of an odor though. Might linger.

Franco
06-24-2015, 18:54
BTW, the odor lasts for a few hours, I have done dozens inside. (when it rained...)

denimlabels
06-24-2015, 22:29
Thanks Franco. The last tent I sealed I dont think I wiped the seams after application. I think maybe tomorrow I will give it another go and seal it up tight and then test it with my new power washer.