PDA

View Full Version : Whiteblaze beer

Damn Yankee
06-23-2015, 20:06
Anyone ever seen this?

FlyFishNut
06-23-2015, 20:43
No, but I'd like to try it - although I'm more of an IPA dude. How is it?

Lone Wolf
06-23-2015, 20:45
it's in the grocery store here in damascus. brewed in abingdon

SteelCut
06-23-2015, 20:49
I had it recently on a trip to the Damascus area. It's not my preferred style of beer but it was pretty good. A bit on the sweet side.

Lone Wolf
06-23-2015, 20:57
I had it recently on a trip to the Damascus area. It's not my preferred style of beer but it was pretty good. A bit on the sweet side.

all craft beer is the same. goofy names, overpriced

August W.
06-23-2015, 21:57
Question: What does domestic beer have in common with making love in a canoe?

Answer: Either way it's fu**ing damn near water!

FlyFishNut
06-24-2015, 05:29
Most people don't even know what India Pale Ale stands for. Here's a bit of history for ya:

IPA was invented by the British during their efforts to colonize India. Again and again, the beer they sent their troops failed to endure the sea voyage all the way around the cape of Africa. Extreme temperatures and prolonged storage without the benefits of refrigeration were less than ideal conditions for transporting beer. As a result, it kept spoiling on the trip. The British had two tools to work with: alcohol and hops. Both of these work as preservatives. According to legend, it was George Hodgson of East London’s Bow Brewery who eventually created the first IPA. It was bitter and highly alcoholic, but it could make the long ocean trip.

Damn Yankee
06-24-2015, 06:38
I'm not a drinker but, thought the can may be worth the cost

Tuckahoe
06-24-2015, 07:41
I have to ask... what, other than the name connects this beer to the Appalachian Trail?

Is it a recipe popular with AT hikers (despite insistence otherwise, I would believe that to be Bud or Natty Light)?

Were the ingredients grown by farmers in the AT trail corridor?

Was the water used, taken directly from an AT spring?

What is it about the beer that should excite me more being called White Blaze, than if it were simply called Abingdon Honey Cream Ale?

TOW
06-24-2015, 08:05
Anyone ever seen this?
My customers drink it much, they say its real good despite the cost........

colorado_rob
06-24-2015, 10:12
I didn't see the OP's "whiteblaze" beer, but I did enjoy a bottle of this "whiteblazed" beer at the NOC... (see pic)

Anyone who thinks domestic beer is all water hasn't partaken in our Colorado microbrews! Overpriced, perhaps, but damn well worth every penny...

FlyFishNut
06-24-2015, 10:27
To each his own. I can drink mass produced beers like Coors Lt, Mich Ultra, etc if I'm thirsty, but they seem bland.

Craft beer are like women to me - some are spicy and make my head swim, some are bitter and too much gives me a headache and some are full bodied, aromatic and tasty.... and make me feel all happy inside.

Slo-go'en
06-24-2015, 10:28
Anyone who thinks domestic beer is all water hasn't partaken in our Colorado microbrews! Overpriced, perhaps, but damn well worth every penny...

I assumed he was speaking of beer with "lite" in the name, or anything made by Budwiser, Coors or Miller, such as my favorite, "Milwaukee's Best Premium" at $14.99 a 30 pack :)

colorado_rob
06-24-2015, 11:11
To each his own. I can drink mass produced beers like Coors Lt, Mich Ultra, etc if I'm thirsty, but they seem bland.

Craft beer are like women to me - some are spicy and make my head swim, some are bitter and too much gives me a headache and some are full bodied, aromatic and tasty.... and make me feel all happy inside.Agree, lite beers are great for thirst quenching. And excellent analogy (metaphor?)!

Onda Road Again
06-24-2015, 13:49
I didn't see the OP's "whiteblaze" beer, but I did enjoy a bottle of this "whiteblazed" beer at the NOC... (see pic)

Going to be in Denver for two days visiting family prior to my CT hike, hope to be able to sample some local brews!! Believe it or not, Des Moines has started to development a pretty good microbrew environment over the last few years.

colorado_rob
06-24-2015, 14:04
Going to be in Denver for two days visiting family prior to my CT hike, hope to be able to sample some local brews!! Believe it or not, Des Moines has started to development a pretty good microbrew environment over the last few years.Cool. Yeah, the microbrew thing has really spread with the exception of the East coast seemingly, where there are some but not many that I found (a few in the NE). I guess Ashville NC has a few (including now a New Belgium brewery, a CO company). If you're staying in town, I suggest visiting the downtown REI with a stop at "My Brother's Bar" on 15th and Platt, right next door; they have fine sandwiches and a good selection of brews.

Love the beer threads... is noon too early to have a cold one???

colorado_rob
06-24-2015, 14:06
I forgot to mention, "My Brother's Bar" is the oldest bar in Denver.

Just Tom
06-24-2015, 14:31
Cool. Yeah, the microbrew thing has really spread with the exception of the East coast seemingly, where there are some but not many that I found (a few in the NE). I guess Ashville NC has a few (including now a New Belgium brewery, a CO company). If you're staying in town, I suggest visiting the downtown REI with a stop at "My Brother's Bar" on 15th and Platt, right next door; they have fine sandwiches and a good selection of brews.

Cannot speak for the rest of New England, but plenty of microbreweries here in CT anyway. Three alone in my local town of under 30,000 people.

Odd Man Out
06-24-2015, 15:08
I have to ask... what, other than the name connects this beer to the Appalachian Trail?
Is it a recipe popular with AT hikers (despite insistence otherwise, I would believe that to be Bud or Natty Light)?
Were the ingredients grown by farmers in the AT trail corridor?
Was the water used, taken directly from an AT spring?
What is it about the beer that should excite me more being called White Blaze, than if it were simply called Abingdon Honey Cream Ale?

I would say the thing that connects it with the AT is marketing.

I would say that if it is worth every penny, then it is by definition not over priced.

Agree, lite beers are great for thirst quenching. And excellent analogy (metaphor?)!

One of our local places has a huge bar full of craft beers, a few of its own (brew pub), most local (MI in general and GR in particular is one of the top beer destinations in the country), but they always have one tap for Budmilloorblueribbon Lite. You're not sure what you will get - it doesn't matter much. It's on the menu as "Lawn Mower Beer" as in, the beer you drink after mowing the lawn.

Cool. Yeah, the microbrew thing has really spread with the exception of the East coast seemingly...

I don't think you've been out east recently. According to the Brewers Association, 3 of the top 10 states for craft breweries per capita are in the east (VT=1, ME=6, NH=10). The Mid-west does well too with WI=13, IA=15 and MI = 14th.

https://www.brewersassociation.org/statistics/by-state/

Not too early. Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore. But not too cold. Nothing worse than ruining a good ale by serving it ice cold (ugg).

Uriah
06-24-2015, 15:16
This has me wondering how many beers are named after trails or trail culture (ala 'Trail Magic'). Long Trail Ale, Whiteblaze...any others?

colorado_rob
06-24-2015, 15:17
I don't think you've been out east recently. According to the Brewers Association, 3 of the top 10 states for craft breweries per capita are in the east (VT=1, ME=6, NH=10) Actually, I have spent quite a bit of time in the east, walking the AT... and yeah, I did say the NE (Northeast) had some fine beers; it was like a "breath of fresh air" finally along the At when we hit Vermont..... I guess I was mostly talking about, along the AT, at least, the lack of microbrews in the southern and mid-atlantic states (GA up through NY, even CT and MA)

FlyFishNut
06-24-2015, 19:05
Cool. Yeah, the microbrew thing has really spread with the exception of the East coast seemingly, where there are some but not many that I found (a few in the NE). I guess Ashville NC has a few (including now a New Belgium brewery, a CO company). If you're staying in town, I suggest visiting the downtown REI with a stop at "My Brother's Bar" on 15th and Platt, right next door; they have fine sandwiches and a good selection of brews.

Grasshoppa - you are misinformed. Ever heard of NoDa? Charlotte has a 2 mile radius of well-known breweries... Sugar Creek, Olde Mecklenburg, Lenny Boy.... You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a good one. That's just in Charlotte. Asheville has some of the conglomerate ones like Sierra Nevada - but there are a ton of privately owned great ones also in the vicinity.

Second Half
06-24-2015, 19:21
all craft beer is the same.

now that's funny. Thanks for the laugh.

TOW
06-24-2015, 20:21

Anyone who thinks domestic beer is all water hasn't partaken in our Colorado microbrews! Overpriced, perhaps, but damn well worth every penny...Different beer than Whiteblaze............

TOW
06-24-2015, 20:23

Love the beer threads... is noon too early to have a cold one???Abingdon and Damascus, VA both have micro brewery's

colorado_rob
06-24-2015, 20:35
Different beer than Whiteblaze............ That's why I clearly said "Whiteblazed". Please note the whiteblaze on the label.

Very good to know that the microbrew thing is spreading nicely! Still a ways to go though, alas (back east)... the bars I walked in to along the trail didn't hardly ever carry them, maybe a few bottles, hardly ever saw any on tap. Call me picky, but I like my micro's on tap.

FlyFishNut
06-24-2015, 21:06
I wasn't counting non tap beers.

Ever heard of Hop Drop n Roll? It was great on tap, until it won a gold medal. Now it's mostly in cans : - (
Wicked Weed is our winter post paddle spot when you are cold from rolling around in whitewater...
http://www.outsideonline.com/1926226/our-10-favorite-beers-celebrate-ipa-day

http://www.ncbeer.org/brewery-map/

Onda Road Again
06-24-2015, 21:20

My wife and I were already hitting up the downtown REI so a stop at My Brother's Bar it is! The reviews make this place sound like heaven on Earth!

Theosus
06-24-2015, 21:30
there needs to be an AT themed liquor for those of us not into beer. Even a wine would work...

Traffic Jam
06-25-2015, 12:22
I've tried Whiteblaze beer and enjoyed it. But the packaging is a ridiculous waste and I don't understand the point of the plastic round pieces on the tops of the cans. Any ideas why the manufacturer would do this?

Just Tom
06-25-2015, 12:54
Perhaps they are made of a plastic that is recyclable. Plus those classic 6-pack rings do this:

Old Crock
06-25-2015, 13:04
I'm not a drinker but, thought the can may be worth the cost

+1 I'd buy a can and the bottle just for the marketing strategy. Like the label on the bottle. Nice design.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swisscross
06-25-2015, 14:36
I've tried Whiteblaze beer and enjoyed it. But the packaging is a ridiculous waste and I don't understand the point of the plastic round pieces on the tops of the cans. Any ideas why the manufacturer would do this?

Two of our local breweries use these. I hated them at first but they are recyclable and they most importantly they keep the crease at the lip of the can cleaner...but are hard to pull a can out one handed while driving.

Pedaling Fool
06-25-2015, 14:38

I've never had this beer, but would love to try it and that weird looking plastic carrier -- How secure are the cans, compared the the traditional, like below?

Personally, I just like the cardboard cartons, better for recycling than plastic. All plastic ends up in landfills, only limited number of recycling can be done.

Perhaps they are made of a plastic that is recyclable. Plus those classic 6-pack rings do this:

Traffic Jam
06-25-2015, 16:33
I've never had this beer, but would love to try it and that weird looking plastic carrier -- How secure are the cans, compared the the traditional, like below?

Personally, I just like the cardboard cartons, better for recycling than plastic. All plastic ends up in landfills, only limited number of recycling can be done.

The cans aren't easy to pull out but if they save turtles and keep swisscross from drinking and driving, I guess I'm all for it. (just kidding, swisscross :))

FlyFishNut
06-25-2015, 21:22

Let me answer this: After all, I make my living as a packaging Guru - I've designed packaging for CAT Scan equip, retail applications, rust inhibiting industrial parts and delicate sculptures.....

I have no idea WTH those plastic pieces are.

Second Half
06-25-2015, 22:04
Let me answer this: After all, I make my living as a packaging Guru - I've designed packaging for CAT Scan equip, retail applications, rust inhibiting industrial parts and delicate sculptures.....

I have no idea WTH those plastic pieces are.

They are a newer style of six-pack carrier that can be applied by hand (unlike the classic Hi-Cone rings which are applied by machine). They keep the tops of the cans cleaner but yes the cans are harder to remove unless you know the trick.

Pedaling Fool
06-26-2015, 09:50
The cans aren't easy to pull out but if they save turtles and keep swisscross from drinking and driving, I guess I'm all for it.
Ha, ha...I'm sold!