PDA

View Full Version : A "Walk in the Woods"

clayzoo
06-24-2015, 10:09
With this applachian trail movie coming out soon (labor day) how do you think this could possible effect the trail? Although it is a fabulous book, just hoping the authenticity of the trail stays true even after the release of this movie.

Slo-go'en
06-24-2015, 11:12
Will let you know next year. Up until then, it would just be speculation. However, there is a good chance there will be another spike in the number of people attempting a thru, but I don't see how that would affect the authenticity of the trail. It just means it will be a lot harder to find a campsite or a bunk in a hostel. At least for the first couple 100 miles.

Uriah
06-24-2015, 11:29
With this applachian trail movie coming out soon (labor day) how do you think this could possible effect the trail? Although it is a fabulous book, just hoping the authenticity of the trail stays true even after the release of this movie.

It won't effect it at all.

But this authenticity you speak of, that's an ever-changing reality. The golden years could very well be years away for someone who's never stepped foot on the trail. It's all based on differing perspectives. I'm just glad I was able to hike some of our long trails before the throngs of bucket listers arrived on the scene, before the windfarms and powerlines and dams started to invade, before many of the bridges were built, before every question could be researched and answered via the Internet, and when one could remain alone for days on end and yet not even try to avoid humanity. Or when hikers didn't require every gadget under the sun (particularly those removing them from their immediate environment). I miss those days and in a way I'm sad for the generations ahead who will never get to experience them in the same isolated, spacious way. But they won't know any differently, just as I'll never know what it felt like to be around 150 years ago. Will the movie alter the trail experience? I think so. Wild certainly has. But the hikers will adapt and plow forward. Or, in my case, elsewhere.

Coffee
06-24-2015, 11:34
All I can say is that Wild did NOT ruin the PCT in the ways that many people thought it would. While the trail is not uncrowded, it is not as if there were hordes of people everywhere in Southern California on the actual trail. The only place that I thought was really crowded was Warner Springs Community center. Most of the towns did not seen overrun by hikers either. I started April 12 and the 50 per day quota was completely full for all of April so theoretically I was in the middle of the bubble. But the trail wasn't ruined at all. Walk in the Woods may have somewhat different effects since the AT has no quotas. But I don't think it will ruin the AT.

FlyPaper
06-24-2015, 12:16

I look forward to seeing the movie and hope that as an AT hiker I'll enjoy it.

The movie is actually getting bad reviews by the critics and I'm kind of glad. If the movie is a blockbuster, it will draw more crowds to the trail. If the movie flops, it will bring fewer new people. Not that I don't like newer people, just not crowds.

Mags
06-24-2015, 14:43
Take the trails for what they are, not what you want them to be.

It is a big, wonderful country full of amazing hiking opportunities. All are different. And all trails change and evolve.

If the AT/PCT/CDT are a bit more social to your liking, do something different. Plenty of choices. Unless you are an alphabet soup hiker [1] , the trails are just a way to see the backcountry, surrounding areas and/or experience a type of culture depending on the trail.

[1] Hiking the long trails to have a string of letters after your name. ;)

Mags
06-24-2015, 14:45
I started April 12 and the 50 per day quota was completely full for all of April so theoretically I was in the middle of the bubble. But the trail wasn't ruined at all. Walk in the Woods may have somewhat different effects since the AT has no quotas. But I don't think it will ruin the AT.

Looks like the PCTA quota system worked well by spreading out people?

Seems only the towns, where people congregate (and stories of early campsites being crowed) are the only issues?

Coffee
06-24-2015, 14:48
Looks like the PCTA quota system worked well by spreading out people?

Seems only the towns, where people congregate (and stories of early campsites being crowed) are the only issues?

All of the major water sources had hikers congregating and there were hikers in the early towns but if 50 people were really starting each day I would have expected to see many more people.

AO2134
06-24-2015, 14:58
Even if the movie brings more thru hikers, I'd imagine at best the same percentage would fail. In fact, I'd bet fail percentage would go up quite a bit. I see it only having an impact on the first 70 miles. By then, most of the unprepared and those who have no business hiking will likely have quit.

Namtrag
06-24-2015, 15:05
As it says on the signs: "Foot Travel Welcome."

It is meant to be used by all, even the clueless movie goers out for the experience. There will be plenty of room for all after the herd quickly thins out, as others have stated above.

It's similar to the gym thing. Hardcore people get pissed on New Years Day when all the resolutionists join, but I never did. I knew most of them would be gone in a couple of weeks.

Dogtra
06-24-2015, 15:46
Even if the movie brings more thru hikers, I'd imagine at best the same percentage would fail. In fact, I'd bet fail percentage would go up quite a bit. I see it only having an impact on the first 70 miles. By then, most of the unprepared and those who have no business hiking will likely have quit.

+1 Completely agree with the above statement.

The AT is and will continue to be a great reality check for dreamers, regardless how many more of them will rush out there with reckless abandon because of the romanticized notion of adventure that 'A Walk in the Woods' will instill.

rocketsocks
06-24-2015, 15:50
I gotta think the AT is gonna receive a few friends outta the crowd that may be coming. Friends that get things trimmed up, brides repaired, and advocates of the great outdoors, how can ya loose.

illabelle
06-24-2015, 15:58
... brides repaired...

Something wrong with your bride?

TJ aka Teej
06-24-2015, 16:15
the authenticity of the trail
There's little authenticity to Bryson's tale. No evidence he did any backpacking. No evidence Katz was a real person.

Traveler
06-24-2015, 17:49
There's little authenticity to Bryson's tale. No evidence he did any backpacking. No evidence Katz was a real person.

I think if you did a quick google search you would find several articles and interviews with Bryson that end the speculation if he backpacked or not. He has done a fair amount of that. January Magazine published some diary entries of Bryson when he was doing some of the AT in fact.

He has a long history of hiking, where I first found him was in "Notes from a Small Island", about his walking tour of the trails and villages of southern England. Though names are fictionalized, the characters are typically fashioned from real people and experiences.

TJ aka Teej
06-24-2015, 22:16
quick google search you would find several articles and interviews with Bryson
Yeah. Bryson saying/writing things isn't evidence of things.
This is about as close to truth Bryson got:

Katz: "Ah Bryson, you know it's all bull, but it's funny."

JaketheFake
06-25-2015, 01:57
Darn, I am doing my hike in 2016. I have been dreaming of this for 20 years.... And now everybody's first question is going to be, "did you see that movie"! I knew I should've gone in 2015. Lol.

JaketheFake
06-25-2015, 02:14
.... And is it really feasible to assume that if this movie comes out this fall (Labor Day?) will that leave enough time for the masses to drop what they're doing and show up in Georgia in March/April? If that is the case these are going to be some on prepared people. But then again if the movie attracts 100 extra through hikers that's a significant increase in hikers.... Boy this might be bad.

daddytwosticks
06-25-2015, 07:16

Do you know Wes Wisson, the legendary shutter from Suches, Ga? He told me personnally that he did in fact shuttle Bryson and a second person from the airport to the trailhead. :)

mattjv89
06-25-2015, 08:26
Darn, I am doing my hike in 2016. I have been dreaming of this for 20 years.... And now everybody's first question is going to be, "did you see that movie"! I knew I should've gone in 2015. Lol.

I wouldn't sweat that, you'll get used to answering a lot of the same questions over and over when you meet people whether or not the movie is one of them. Sometimes it feels like I could just save time and play back a recording of the answers since I know what the questions will be! When did you start, how much does your pack weigh, how many miles a day do you walk, what do you do about food, have you seen any bears, you don't carry a gun for the bears?? Here's a hint, people often start that conversation by asking where you started, if you don't feel like talking a lot just say where you started that day and make no mention of Springer.

BirdShooter
06-25-2015, 08:48
Hopefully it will bring more members and donations to the ATC. They will need it

JaketheFake
06-25-2015, 10:35
Hopefully it will bring more members and donations to the ATC. They will need it

That is a very positive outlook. Regarding questions, I have made my hike "public" in terms of friends and family. Its amazing how many people think this is a journey that begins and ends without so much as me seeing another soul for 6 months or the possibility of starving to death because I did not bring enough food.

Thankfully I run with outdoor hook and bullet people, so I have not had to hear to many questions about bears and snakes and other non-issues.

I do love the blank look of those few who just can't quite grasp why someone would want to do this.... does anyone else get that look?

The Old Chief
06-25-2015, 10:36
Well, Jensene, at Rainbow Springs Campground certainly remembers Bill Bryson hiking the AT. She was still pretty angry at his portrayal of her in the book when I talked to her at length in 2001.

TJ aka Teej
06-25-2015, 14:54
Well, Jensene, at Rainbow Springs Campground certainly remembers Bill Bryson hiking the AT. She was still pretty angry at his portrayal of her in the book when I talked to her at length in 2001.
If I recall correctly her complaint was based on the fact she was closed at the time of his alleged stay.

The Old Chief
06-25-2015, 15:09
Then you recall incorrectly.

TJ aka Teej
06-25-2015, 17:01
Then you recall incorrectly.
You're correct, it's been quite a while since Jensine posted about it here.

Jeff
06-25-2015, 17:40

Here is the thread where Jensine comments on Brysons stay at Rainbow Springs Campground:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/412-quot-THE-Book-quot?p=2348&highlight=#post2348

Jeff
06-25-2015, 17:40

Here is the thread where Jensine comments on Brysons stay at Rainbow Springs Campground:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/412-quot-THE-Book-quot?p=2348&highlight=#post2348

fiddlehead
06-25-2015, 19:51
Oh yeah, Jensine.
Well, I had a very similar experiience there.
My friends were waiting for a cab and said: You can stay here, but it's a dry county.
or you can come with us to town (which is not in a dry county and has AYCE and if we double up in the hotel, it's the same price as the bunkroom here.
Enough said.
I went to town.
When i got back on the trail the next day, I found out we were the talk of Rainbow Springs.
She badmouthed us to every hiker that set foot on her place.

We just thought it was funny.
But I know if I was writing a book on humor of the AT.
Rainbow Springs and it's owners would have definitely been near the top of the list.

I must read this book again.
It's been a while.

Dogtra
06-26-2015, 03:04
I do love the blank look of those few who just can't quite grasp why someone would want to do this.... does anyone else get that look?

All the time.

Traveler
06-26-2015, 09:48
Yeah. Bryson saying/writing things isn't evidence of things.
This is about as close to truth Bryson got:

I suppose, but for that matter you could be an inmate named Phyllis at Niantic State Prison too. Given what I know of him, I don't have that level of doubt.

Marta
06-26-2015, 10:35
I suppose, but for that matter you could be an inmate named Phyllis at Niantic State Prison too. Given what I know of him, I don't have that level of doubt.

Okay, that almost made me spit out/choke on my morning tea.

Cuacoatchoo
06-26-2015, 16:06
I was under the impression that the move "Wild" didn't really increase thru hiker traffic(?) I was also under the impression that many thru hikers pick a time of convenience or major life events, rather than just because they watched a cool hiking movie.

Regarding Bryson and the Rainbow lodge. Thanks for mentioning this dispute, it was kind of entertaining. If it's reassuring to the rainbow lodge, Bryson appeared to suffer from Princess syndrome to me as a reader. Staying in a nice hotel is kind of a weird concept to how I've romanticized "leather tramping" down the AT in my own head.

After watching "Wild" and reading "Walk in the woods" I'm ready for more books about hikers who are actually good at hiking.

Mags
06-26-2015, 16:28
I was under the impression that the move "Wild" didn't really increase thru hiker traffic(?) I was also under the impression that many thru hikers pick a time of convenience or major life events, rather than just because they watched a cool hiking movie.

Regarding Bryson and the Rainbow lodge. Thanks for mentioning this dispute, it was kind of entertaining. If it's reassuring to the rainbow lodge, Bryson appeared to suffer from Princess syndrome to me as a reader. Staying in a nice hotel is kind of a weird concept to how I've romanticized "leather tramping" down the AT in my own head.

After watching "Wild" and reading "Walk in the woods" I'm ready for more books about hikers who are actually good at hiking.

Some ideas here:

http://www.booksforhikers.com/

One of my personal favorite is "On the Beaten Path".

Cuacoatchoo
06-26-2015, 17:30
Thanks Mags!

TJ aka Teej
06-26-2015, 21:49
Some ideas here:

+1 for both eArThworm and Rhymin' Worm

Traveler
06-27-2015, 05:14
Some ideas here:

Always looking for a good read, thanks!

clayzoo
06-29-2015, 15:28
That is a very positive outlook. Regarding questions, I have made my hike "public" in terms of friends and family. Its amazing how many people think this is a journey that begins and ends without so much as me seeing another soul for 6 months or the possibility of starving to death because I did not bring enough food.

Thankfully I run with outdoor hook and bullet people, so I have not had to hear to many questions about bears and snakes and other non-issues.

Lol this is so true. I'm thru hiking in 2016 and everyone thinks I'm going in the woods alone for months on end. They tell me I need to bring a gun for food and protection. People just dont understand. There is a community out on the AT you really aren't ever alone

MuddyWaters
06-29-2015, 18:48
Oh yeah, Jensine.
Well, I had a very similar experiience there.
My friends were waiting for a cab and said: You can stay here, but it's a dry county.
or you can come with us to town (which is not in a dry county and has AYCE and if we double up in the hotel, it's the same price as the bunkroom here.
Enough said.
I went to town.
When i got back on the trail the next day, I found out we were the talk of Rainbow Springs.
She badmouthed us to every hiker that set foot on her place.

We just thought it was funny.
But I know if I was writing a book on humor of the AT.
Rainbow Springs and it's owners would have definitely been near the top of the list.

I must read this book again.
It's been a while.

If i recall right, after sueing him they settled for a fair sum.which is likely why never heard another peep about it.

sbhikes
06-29-2015, 19:36

I hiked the PCT, not the AT, and even regarding the PCT people asked me if I had read Bryson's book. Now they all ask me if I've read Wild or saw the movie and if it's why I hiked the PCT. I hiked the PCT in 2008 and 2009. Wild wasn't even out yet. Get used to the dumb questions. You'll be answering them the rest of your life pretty much.

Helopilot
06-30-2015, 01:05
Ditto, except I've been planning for 40 years.