PDA

View Full Version : Would you hike in the Adirondacks right now?

StealthHikerBoy
06-24-2015, 15:24
I have a 4-5 day hike in the Adirondacks planned for next week with a hiking buddy. It is not too far from the manhunt. We are leaning towards hiking elsewhere. We are not so much worried about actually encountering the escapees ... but more about being two men walking together in the woods up there at a time when everyone is on high alert. I guess there are so many other great places we can go that we can do this hike some other time.

Just wondering ... would people here hike up there now?

Another Kevin
06-24-2015, 15:30
Yes. In fact, I'm thinking about going up there in a couple of weeks. There are plenty of hikers, canoeists, car campers, and so on about. The Adirondacks are a big place - the park is larger than the entire state of Massachusetts.

Offshore
06-24-2015, 15:33
It really only matters what you would do. If this is going to impact your enjoyment and you had an alternative that you would enjoy, then you should probably change your plans.

Zach ADK
06-24-2015, 19:25
According to the news reports I have heard the search area today was 75 square miles so it is a very small area of the total Adirondacks. If you were planning to go to one of the two affected hamlets or anywhere within 10 miles of them I would postpone the trip but otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it. If they didn't want people to come to the Adirondacks I assume they would ask people to stay away, and I have not heard that happen yet.
Zach

Slo-go'en
06-24-2015, 19:35
As they have not been found yet, they are really stealthy. The last thing they want to do is run into other people.

Dogwood
06-24-2015, 19:37
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon1.png Would you hike in the Adirondacks right now?
When are we leaving? Manhunts, escapees, two males in my hiking party, authorities, - so what. Let's go. Well have another story to tell. Now, if the world has gone to shart with a The Omega Man, I Am Legend, or World War Z scenario I would consider otherwise. I'd also only travel during daylight in Forks Washington if all those Twilight vamps were actually running around.

Malto
06-24-2015, 20:27
A couple of us are going up the in early October and I doubt this would deter me.

russb
06-24-2015, 21:11
Yep. Heading up there Friday for a 5 day trip.

Another Kevin
06-25-2015, 20:44
Yep. Heading up there Friday for a 5 day trip.

You staying an extra day? Chapter calendar shows 4. (You're leading the ADK NPT Chapter trip, right?)

I'm looking at maybe getting out for a SOBO Wakely to Piseco in another week and a half. I'm busy the next two weekends, so I couldn't sign up for your trip, but then I can take a few days off work. I'm looking forward to your trip report so that I'll maybe have an idea what I'm getting into. I've soloed over half the trail so I guess I can solo the rest.

One of these years, we're going to be up there at the same time.

russb
06-26-2015, 05:04
You staying an extra day? Chapter calendar shows 4. (You're leading the ADK NPT Chapter trip, right?)

I'm looking at maybe getting out for a SOBO Wakely to Piseco in another week and a half. I'm busy the next two weekends, so I couldn't sign up for your trip, but then I can take a few days off work. I'm looking forward to your trip report so that I'll maybe have an idea what I'm getting into. I've soloed over half the trail so I guess I can solo the rest.

One of these years, we're going to be up there at the same time.

Yeah. I am going up this afternoon. Will meet the rest of the group tomorrow AM. Will likely stay an extra night after we finish our section.

We definitely need to plan to be on some trail together at some time in the near future.

Schnitzel
06-26-2015, 07:56
I think that I'd be more worried about the black flies this time of year.

Another Kevin
06-26-2015, 11:24
I think that I'd be more worried about the black flies this time of year.

They're starting to settle down. (They were murder two weeks ago!) Now it's the skeeters and the deer flies.

WingedMonkey
06-26-2015, 13:42
I would avoid the area where the active search is going on.

Only because of the loud and disturbing sounds of ATV's and helicopters and news crews.

I was on both Nantahala and Pisgah Forests when some of the searching was being done for Eric Rudolph. It's no wonder they only found him years later by accident. You could hear them coming for miles.

rocketsocks
06-26-2015, 16:53
I'd go, one of them ha been shot and killed, the other is being chased down.

Another Kevin
06-26-2015, 17:34
I'd go, one of them ha been shot and killed, the other is being chased down.

Yup, and they're over an hour's drive from the Northville-Placid Trail or the High Peaks and even farther from Schroon Lake or Lake George. The dead man only made it about 20 miles from the prison.

Fredt4
06-27-2015, 16:09
In 1979 we were hiking on the AT when helicopters flew low above us to check us out. Later we stopped at a farmhouse to ask for some water we were greeted by the question, "Are you an axe murdered?" We politely said no as she explained that a green beret murderer was supposedly on the trail. We had a good laugh and thanked her for her water. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_R._MacDonald

rocketsocks
06-27-2015, 20:05
In 1979 we were hiking on the AT when helicopters flew low above us to check us out. Later we stopped at a farmhouse to ask for some water we were greeted by the question, "Are you an axe murdered?" We politely said no as she explained that a green beret murderer was supposedly on the trail. We had a good laugh and thanked her for her water. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_R._MacDonaldWow! that is some story there.