PDA

View Full Version : I40/ Waterville to Hot Springs

philbio75
06-24-2015, 16:56
Planning on hiking from I40 to Hot Springs in late July. Are the known water sources in good shape?

Wyker
06-26-2015, 13:46
I hear that rains have been steady. All should be well. I will be making that exact same trip this week. I'll report back on their condition.

10-K
06-26-2015, 13:59
I would check back in mid-late July closer to your hike. It's really hard to say what'll be happening after another month of summer.

However, just to reassure you, there are enough reliable water sources in this stretch that, short of a serious drought anomaly, you won't have too much to worry about.

saltysack
06-26-2015, 14:38
I would check back in mid-late July closer to your hike. It's really hard to say what'll be happening after another month of summer.

However, just to reassure you, there are enough reliable water sources in this stretch that, short of a serious drought anomaly, you won't have too much to worry about.
It's your stomping ground....good section for a 9 yr old. My son is ready to get back out...thinking davenport gap to hot springs 3.5-4 days?? Terrain difficulty? He didn't have any problems last year doing 8-10 per day at standing Indian loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wornoutboots
06-26-2015, 18:31
It's your stomping ground....good section for a 9 yr old. My son is ready to get back out...thinking davenport gap to hot springs 3.5-4 days?? Terrain difficulty? He didn't have any problems last year doing 8-10 per day at standing Indian loop.

It's a pretty easy hike with the exception of the climb right at the start after I-40, then you have Bluff Mnt but overall good grade & nice scenery especially Max Patch. Should be fine if he handled the SI loop. Good Luck & Happy Trails!!

saltysack
06-26-2015, 18:33
It's a pretty easy hike with the exception of the climb right at the start after I-40, then you have Bluff Mnt but overall good grade & nice scenery especially Max Patch. Should be fine if he handled the SI loop. Good Luck & Happy Trails!!

Thx....hopefully not to hot second week of July...bugs?

wornoutboots
06-26-2015, 18:38
I would expect heat & bugs.

10-K
06-26-2015, 19:36

Agree, this is a good description. If he can do the first 4 miles up to the FAA tower you've got it licked.

rednekcop
07-04-2015, 18:16
I am considering the same hike the last week of July. Any news about weather conditions? I mainly concerned about recent heat indexes since I'm not a kid anymore. I believe with proper hydration that I will be just fine. This will be my first trip on the AT and am excited/nervous about keeping up with the group.

Wyker
07-14-2015, 16:14
I enjoyed my trip two weeks ago. Water was flowing well everywhere except Deer Park Shelter where there was only a trickle.
The heat was very minimal, but that was the week of heavy rains.

Wyker
07-14-2015, 16:19
...This will be my first trip on the AT and am excited/nervous about keeping up with the group.

Are you planning for 3 or4 days? I knew that two of the three people I went with were not capable of big miles. We made it a fairly leisurely trip and started at noon on Sunday and ended at 5pm on Wednesday.

saltysack
07-14-2015, 18:01
Any parking at davenport gap?

rednekcop
07-14-2015, 19:13
4 days total I believe. I'm sure I will make it, just not going to be in a hurry! I want to enjoy it anyways!

saltysack
07-14-2015, 23:43
Im doing this section starting tomorrow afternoon with my 9 yr old son...hope to be finished mid afternoon Saturday..eat.... then drive that pita 7.5 hour drive!!!

slbirdnerd
07-15-2015, 08:05
There is no parking up at Davenport Gap, but park at Big Creek Ranger Station and walk up the gravel road (it's actually a real road and has some traffic; twice people stopped and asked me for directions because their GPS was taking them that way from Cosby to I-40!). Saw a mama bear and 2 cubs on my way up there 2 weeks ago :). The walk is about a mile and very easy. If you need some specific directions PM me. Or, park at Hot Springs and have Bluff Mtn Outfitters shuttle you down, it's like $85 right to the gap. Happy trails!