PDA

View Full Version : anybody leaving springer NOBO march 1?

zachv
11-18-2005, 16:13
I am palnning on leaving springer march 1st and was just wondering who, if anybody, was planning on a NOBO thru-hike, leaving springer march 1, or close to it.

A-Train
11-18-2005, 18:10
DonŽt worry, there will be PLENTY of folks. You might wanna avoid Hawk mtn shelter on 3-1 unless youŽre looking to meet everyone, in which case its a good idea. March 1 has become a very popular start date the last couple yrs

mdermody
11-20-2005, 16:02
BEANS! see ya on springer first of march bro!

mnof1000v
11-20-2005, 18:46
I'm leaving March 1st....:sun

BTW - A (sort of) complete list of who's leaving in what direction and when can be found under the "Featured Articles" section under "Class of 2006".

Grey Fox
11-28-2005, 19:34
me too!! my date may change depending on how the weather is, it usually goes in 10 year cycles and 96 is when we had all that snow!!

freefall
12-05-2005, 04:27
March 1st here! Just bought my plane ticket to ATL for 02/26.

justusryans
12-05-2005, 06:01
We're leaving between March 1st-3rd. Not pinned down yet.

Lone Wolf
12-05-2005, 08:51
I'm thinking of starting March 1st and hiking home to Damascus.

general
12-05-2005, 10:57
i'll be going out for a week or 2, for some show and tell on the tent that i'm manufacturing, on March 1 and probably again on the 20th or 21st.

max patch
12-05-2005, 11:08
me too!! my date may change depending on how the weather is, it usually goes in 10 year cycles and 96 is when we had all that snow!!

Don't forget about March '93 when Springer got between 2-3 ft of snow and rangers were "rescuing" hikers whether they wanted to be rescued or not. Atlanta airport actually closed down for one day. Haven't looked recently, but as of a couple years ago pig hill (forgot the name but everyone in town knows who I'm talking about) barbecue in Ellijay still had newspaper articles on the wall about the storm. Interesting reading.

A-Train
12-06-2005, 13:38
If I had to put some money on it, IŽd say Heald and Annie will be there too on 3-1

Frosty
12-06-2005, 15:08
I also am hoping to start March 1. I have an AMTRAK reservation that will have me in Gainesville on the morning of Feb 28. My only question now is whether I will attempt a thru again, or use 2006 to complete the trail as a section hiker. If the latter, I will start at Dicks Creek Gap. Otherwise I will be on Springer (via Forest Service Road 42) the morning of March 1.

RockyTrail
12-06-2005, 16:55
Don't forget about March '93 when Springer got between 2-3 ft of snow and rangers were "rescuing" hikers whether they wanted to be rescued or not. Atlanta airport actually closed down for one day. Haven't looked recently, but as of a couple years ago pig hill (forgot the name but everyone in town knows who I'm talking about) barbecue in Ellijay still had newspaper articles on the wall about the storm. Interesting reading.

Oh yes, March '93 was the "storm of the century" that covered the entire US east of the Mississippi. Such a big event they even made a documentary about it on Nova (PBS). I think it was March 13th to be exact....to give an idea of the magnitude, the metro Atlanta area 70 miles south of Springer where it usually rarely snows got over 13 inches that day. The mountains always get much more. Unlikely that will be seen again, but "it happens"...

mweinstone
01-03-2006, 23:53
if it started snowing 1 foot an hour and i was at say...usfs 42 on my first night and rangers started to approch to remove me for my own saftey all i can say is remember in the movie rambo when sylvester stallone was pushed to hard by that town?well if i could i would sneak deep off trail and hideout till they left.no man woman wild beast or act of my own stupidity will keep me from my trail. i own it and i have a date with it.so stand aside mr park ranger matthewski's commin .

mweinstone
01-06-2006, 19:37
i need a ride from pa ill pay please? matthewski ga>me 3/4/06 my 45 th birthday and my second attempt.ill even rent a car for someone to drive . cant drive myself due to eye injury.wont take train unless i cant find ride .will change my start date to sooner but not later.i know you cant force trail magic so ill pray .

MOWGLI
01-06-2006, 19:49
imatthewski ga>me 3/4/06 my 45 th birthday and my second attempt.

Best of luck on your attempt. I hope you find your ride and reach Katahdin.

Panzer1
01-06-2006, 23:35
i need a ride from pa ill pay please? matthewski ga>me 3/4/06 my 45 th birthday and my second attempt.ill even rent a car for someone to drive . cant drive myself due to eye injury.wont take train unless i cant find ride .will change my start date to sooner but not later.i know you cant force trail magic so ill pray .

You could get a Greyhound bus from center city Philadelphia to Atlanta for as cheap as $67. That's not too bad..

Panzer

Panzer1
01-07-2006, 00:31
The cost to drive by car from Philadelphia to Atlanta is about $88 in gas. (based on 20 mpg highway/16 mpg city and gas at $2.25 a gallon) That does not count wear and tear on the car or tolls. At that rate $67 for a Greyhound is pretty reasonable.

Panzer

mweinstone
01-16-2006, 16:31
im into getting a ride for alot of reasons and its not cool to be sitting on a bus or a train with no will of your own before such a trip. 10n years ago i failed less than a hundred miles from springer.part of the reason was that i left my son ,now 16,when he was too young and i walked not with spring but with guilt.i tell people it was a blister that sent me home but it was tears.this time i have a new method and a small part of my plan is to do things differently and more attention to having fun.as a loner i know the bummer of weekend bus trips to the trail from philly.im not okay with giving up the freedom to pig out and stop to play ability the private car gives.in my adult life i have never taken a car ride over 70 miles.

wyclif
01-16-2006, 17:07
Matt,

Talk to me. Reply to my email address. I live in the Philly area, am inclined to start around that time, and am an excellent driver who is trying to cut travel expenses. I am not sure yet if I will be able to leave on that date but your date is my preferred time of departure and I really had my heart set on leaving no later than first week of March.

This would be my first thru-hike. I've section-hiked the AT many times.

mweinstone
01-16-2006, 18:53
what part of all inclusive free trvel would you like to discuss?the free tolls?the free gas? the free food? no!no!no! its the freedom to thru hike you desire.and im the pusher who must sell you your fix.first im gonna offer to sing. then i may in fact jump for joy.but in any case im gonna beg.pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese come thru hiking before the fourth?